What should we buy while we are in Hawaii...?

resstation

As mentioned, do remember that koa is expensive. Martin and MacArthur has a good reputation in the islands and carries a fair amount of koa merchandise. You might want to check their website to see if they have anything you like.

Thanks!

As mentioned, do remember that koa is expensive. Martin and MacArthur has a good reputation in the islands and carries a fair amount of koa merchandise. You might want to check their website to see if they have anything you like.

I second that (was just about to mention M&M but saw your post). You'll pay a decent penny for their items, but they're beautiful and high quality (have some on my home). There's a few different types of koa, so do some research and see which one suits you the best! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There was mention of a fabric store in Lihue. Another fabric store (Hawaiian prints + others not found on the mainland) is Vicky's fabrics in Kapaa. The store is located on the ocean side of the main road that runs north to south on the east side of Kauai. Vicky's has some nice local crafts as well as "ready-made" items such as placemats, coasters, pillows, and other smaller home décor items that pack easily. There's a seating area for those in your party who need a break from shopping!

There was mention of a fabric store in Lihue. Another fabric store (Hawaiian prints + others not found on the mainland) is Vicky's fabrics in Kapaa. The store is located on the ocean side of the main road that runs north to south on the east side of Kauai. Vicky's has some nice local crafts as well as "ready-made" items such as placemats, coasters, pillows, and other smaller home décor items that pack easily. There's a seating area for those in your party who need a break from shopping!

My wife does quilting & gets Hawaiian patterns & material at The Maui Quilt Shop located in the Azeka Makai SC in Kihei.

http://mauiquiltshop.com

Lots of good recommendations, depending on your likes and dislikes. One of my favorite things to do is stop by a thrift shop. There are some fabulous ones with racks and racks of aloha wear. We have scored some incredible purchases. I have also found some koa picture frames that I love. There is a thrift store across the street from KMart in Honolulu. We also like the Aloha Stadium swapmeet. Some of my favorites there are aloha print aprons and soaps. The aprons are $5 and $8, and make great gifts. Just make sure ANYTHING you purchase has a tag "made in Hawaii." As mentioned previously, many items are from the Philippines and other Asian countries.

In Hilo we have been able to get some jewelry that is made using volcanic rock. The colors are beautiful. Also in Hilo we like some of the honeys and jams made locally. You just need to make sure you put them in the bag you check through on the trip home. They will be confiscated if in your carry on.

You will see beautiful gift shops throughout your travels and I hope you find something that will be a treasured remembrance of your cruise. Cherie

I would second the suggestion that Martin and McArthur are reliable and usually have a good inventory of Koa. While expensive, it's something you'll treasure for years to come.

While on Kauai a couple of months ago my wife bought a very attractive shell bracelet in a jewellery store in the Marriott at Nawiliwili. The Hawaiian islands are home to an amazing number of truly talented artisans and designers.

• 2 months later...