Scandinavia and Russia excursion tipping

msalzman1

Hi.

Just wondering can I tip my tour guides in USD, or do I need to exchange $ for the currency of those ports? Thanks

I tipped the driver and guide in $'s in St Petersburg. They thanked me and seemed happy to me.

I think it depends, in Russia they generally want / prefer US$ but the bills must new or close to new. Other Baltic countries will want local currency or Euros.

U.S. currency is fine. Doesn't have to be "new" bills. Just don't hand over any of those worn,wrinkled or torn bills we like to hand off to someone else at home. ;)

When the guides change them to their preferred, they need to be in decent shape.

Do a goggle search and see what the tipping customs for the countries you are visiting. Most European countries do not tip as often or as much as America does.

And there are some European countries were people would have a very hard time converting American $$ into local currency. In fact, there was one where it was illegal for them to do so, but I don't remember which one it was.

Tipping definitely isn't necessary in Scandinavia. We are not use to tip here at all. If you still want to give a tip, use Euros. It costs more in here to change from dollars to Euros than the actual tip.

I'd ask yourself if you worked in the tour industry in your country, would you be happy taking a tip in another currency. Some countries such as Russia take them and price their trips in dollars but only clean bills. The other countries don't do it, it costs them a lot to exchange them and you devalue your tip and they have to take out time to make it happen. We made sure we had some of each currency as it was one transaction on one website and a pick up at the airport. That little bit of effort was much appreciated by the tour guides

Did the amazing Scandinavia cruise last year. Most of the places we did on our own with the exception of St. Petersburg and Berlin.

We tipped USD in St. Petersburg (although we had a few roubles since we were in Moscow pre-cruise) and Euros in Berlin.

Hi.

Just wondering can I tip my tour guides in USD, or do I need to exchange $ for the currency of those ports? Thanks

Just off the Silhouette after our Baltic cruise. In SPB, our guides like US dollars, but will happily accept Euros. Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Tallinn and Stockholm tips were in Euros.

As far as exchanging for Rubles or Kronors: only if you want a souvenir.

Edited by merlin5353

Can't speak for Russia, but I worked for a long time in Sweden and still speak a bit of the lingo.

Don't worry about currency for a tip, they don't need one. The Swedes tend to pay their people properly (as does all of Scandinavia) so the only purpose of a tip is to satiate the pre-programmed impulse you yourself have to hand over a few bills.

When in Rome ....... etc.