Cheers Program/Pre purchased/New York Port

mheinrich

So the new rule on the Cheers program says you can't buy the program on the first day out of NY (New Orleans and Louisiana). But it doesn't say if you pre purchase it.

Has anyone sailed yet and pre purchased the cheers program know the answer? Can we use it on the first day if it's pre purchased? And did they refund the first day if not? I purchased it before the rules change and was charged for the full cruise.

Thanks!

So the new rule on the Cheers program says you can't buy the program on the first day out of NY (New Orleans and Louisiana). But it doesn't say if you pre purchase it.

Has anyone sailed yet and pre purchased the cheers program know the answer? Can we use it on the first day if it's pre purchased? And did they refund the first day if not? I purchased it before the rules change and was charged for the full cruise.

Thanks!

When you purchase Cheers for NY sailings, you are not charged for the first day and you cannot use it on the first day. This has something to do with NY laws regarding unlimited alcohol use.

You can pre-purchase Cheers. Again, you cannot use it on the first day.

Example, if you are on a 7 day cruise, you are charged for 6 and Cheers begins at 6am on day 2.

That's why I love cruise critic.

I knew about Texas but didn't have a clue NY was the same.

How about bottles thru Bon Voyage are they still deleverd to your cabin the first day?

We just purchased our Cheers for July 4th cruise. I tried to buy beer delivered 1st day and they cannot deliver until day 2, so I assume the bottles of liquor are included the rule.

This is a new rule for NY, I sailed out of NY last year on the Splendor and Cheers was able to be purchased on Day 1. However Carnival kind of bent the rules last year, we weren't able to technically purchase Cheers till 5pm on day 1 when the ship was out into international waters. And what they did was any drink you purchased prior to 5pm was refunded/taken off your S+S bill after you purchased the package.

I guess NYC caught onto this, with their unlimited alcohol law, and went after Carnival which is why your now seeing Cheers not being offered until day 2 at 6am. Little bit of an inconvenience as it was nice to get on board and start using the package, but I guess it also saves some money. Carry on a bottle of wine for the first night.

OP, if you purchased it before the rules change I would just cancel it so the full amount gets refunded to your card, and then repurchase it. Seems a lot easier than calling carnival to get them to refund day 1, or hoping they still let you use it on day 1 since you already paid and then having to deal with it on board.

Thanks everyone! Sucks, but oh well.

I did purchase it before the new rules went into effect. I'll try for shipboard credit for those two days instead of going through the hassle of cancelling and re-purchasing.

I get on the Sunshine on Thursday so I'll post back what my results were after I get home.