Hotels in San Pedro,CA

many cruises

We stayed at the Hilton Mariana Hotel which is now just the Mariana Hotel. It was OK - there really was nothing around it and we had to take the hotel's shuttle to get to a restaurant, to go to a grocery store, etc . .

When looking for a hotel, there were very few to choose from in San Pedro and of the two I looked at (the other was the Sheraton which is no longer a Sheraton I believe), there really wasn't anything around them and neither hotel got great reviews.

If I was to go again, I would go to Long Beach because I like to see some of the area and not just hang at the hotel. If my flight was late and I was leaving early in the morning, I would probably stay in San Pedro again but if I arrived at noon and had half of a day - I would choose Long Beach.

I live close enough to drive into San Pedro. But I believe the reason most people suggest not staying in SP: it's a very industrial area. Ther are people who live there and there are probably some nice homes (the past mayor of LA lives there) but it's not the most inviting place. If you have the chance and time (if I were you), I would research (these boards, tripadvisor.com. Auto Club if you're a member) and check out hotels in the close by beach cities. Some people seem to stay in Long Beach (just make sure if you're taking a shuttle or taxi, the driver knows you want to go to the San Pedro port, otherwise known as the World Cruise Center, and not Long Beach, which Carnival now uses).

Check to see if a hotel has a shuttle to SP or the airport you're using. Taxis can be rather expensive and hard to get here. Much of the time the 405 freeway (the one by LAX) can be very busy, even on the weekends. Even in the middle of the day.

I live close enough to drive into San Pedro. But I believe the reason most people suggest not staying in SP: it's a very industrial area. Ther are people who live there and there are probably some nice homes (the past mayor of LA lives there) but it's not the most inviting place. If you have the chance and time (if I were you)' date=' I would research (these boards, tripadvisor.com. Auto Club if you're a member) and check out hotels in the close by beach cities. Some people seem to stay in Long Beach (just make sure if you're taking a shuttle or taxi, the driver knows you want to go to the San Pedro port, otherwise known as the World Cruise Center, and not Long Beach, which Carnival now uses).

Check to see if a hotel has a shuttle to SP or the airport you're using. Taxis can be rather expensive and hard to get here. Much of the time the 405 freeway (the one by LAX) can be very busy, even on the weekends. Even in the middle of the day.[/quote']

Great advise, I'm 15 minutes from San Pedro, and I would recommend Long Beach too

Yeah, it's not that San Pedro is BAD, per se, it's just industrial and there's not much to see and/or do. Long Beach is just a short drive (or taxi ride) away, and there's plenty to see and do there. :-)

Just as an FYI, we've always loved the Coast Hotel Long Beach (http://www.coasthotels.com). It's just down the street from the Carnival/Queen Mary terminal (not the San Pedro terminal), and honestly, there's not much within walking distance except a nice walking trail along the waterfront. However, it has great views and a free Passport shuttle into LB downtown. Additionally, there is a fab restaurant across the street called The Reef, and they have the best Sunday Champagne brunch ever...$30/pp, but worth more like $60/pp. You wouldn't believe the spread!

We were thinking of doing the Princess pre-cruise package at the Westin. We are flying in Friday afternoon for our Saturday departure on the Sapphire in March. Anyone have any comments on this arrangement?

Hi All:

We always stay in San Pedro at the Marina Hotel, and although it shows some signs of being in service awhile, it has always been very clean, great sailing packages (ie., room + full breakfast + shuttle to boat + bottle of chilled champagne in room upon arrival and they will also let you park in their lots for your entire cruise for free if you have driven instead of flown in).

If you ask, they will also give you a room overlooking the harbor which is lovely with all the beautiful boats:D

They have always been very professional and very nice to deal with!

There is a great Mexican restaurant called the Green Onion just a few blocks away, and there is also a great sea food restaurant right around the corner on 22nd street which is also right on the water at the harbor.

Gee, I sound like I work for the chamber of commerce or something......LOL

Janine:)

Guest AdiosReality

Its ALL about the coast hotel! They have a park and sail package, and the restaurant Reef is right on their property. If you partake in their Park and sail, you get 2 free tickets to the champagne breakfast at the reef, its all about the best pastries you've ever had, chocolate covered strawberries, prawns and cocktail sauce, fresh squeezed juices, its the biggest breakfast buffet I have ever been to, (mind you its only the second) but beautiful. If they know your sailing, they will give you a port side room with a perfect view of Queen Mary and any other ships that are due in that day. I highly reccomend this hotel in long beach, while your there take a walk downstairs from your room, and walk around on the pier and docks, we saw sea lions. I have stayed in San Pedro at the sheraton, it was a nice hotel, but theres NOTHING around it, nothing to see out your window, very blah. Unless you do not want to see anything or mosey around I would deffinatley stay at the coast hotel, prices are VERY reasonable.;)

We were thinking of doing the Princess pre-cruise package at the Westin. We are flying in Friday afternoon for our Saturday departure on the Sapphire in March. Anyone have any comments on this arrangement?

Book way in advance. A few weeks ago, I tried to book the Marriott package at the LAX airport for the night prior to our January Sapphire cruise, but it was sold out.

We stayed at the Marina Hotel in San Pedro last January before our Diamond Princess cruise, and it was just fine. Of couse, we were tired from flying cross country and were just looking for a comfortable place to stay and rest up for the next day, but I would still stay there again. It's not a resort but is newly renovated and friendly. Our room looked out on the marina, was clean and good-size and newly redone with a couch, DSL internet, large TV, coffee maker, etc. We had a couple of cocktails in the lobby bar (free appetizers) and dinner in the lobby restaurant, which was reasonably priced and just fine. Then, in the am, we took the free shuttle over to the ship and were among the first passengers to board. It all depends what you're looking for, I guess, but the Marina is great if your goal is a quick meal and a good night's sleep.

We are staying at the Best Western in San Pedro for one night before our cruise to Hawaii in Feb. Has anyone ever stayed there before? It's only one night, how bad can it be in San Pedro? I keep reading about the Port O Call shops there yet everyone says there is nothing to do or see there? Help!!

We are staying at the Best Western in San Pedro for one night before our cruise to Hawaii in Feb. Has anyone ever stayed there before? It's only one night, how bad can it be in San Pedro? I keep reading about the Port O Call shops there yet everyone says there is nothing to do or see there? Help!!

Here's what tripadvisor.com readers say about the Best Western in San Pedro-

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33035-d81285-Reviews-Best_Western_Sunrise_Hotel-San_Pedro_California.html

Stayed at the Hyatt in Huntington Beach - it is a Spa resort and is a great place to spend a night or two if you have a rental car. Extremely convenient from LAX and the Long Beach airports and so simple to get to the pier. I want to go there again!

Also, since California's weather is tricky in January, they had a really good deal going for January stays.

Yeah, it's not that San Pedro is BAD, per se, it's just industrial and there's not much to see and/or do. Long Beach is just a short drive (or taxi ride) away, and there's plenty to see and do there. :-)

Just as an FYI, we've always loved the Coast Hotel Long Beach (www.coasthotels.com). It's just down the street from the Carnival/Queen Mary terminal (not the San Pedro terminal), and honestly, there's not much within walking distance except a nice walking trail along the waterfront. However, it has great views and a free Passport shuttle into LB downtown. Additionally, there is a fab restaurant across the street called The Reef, and they have the best Sunday Champagne brunch ever...$30/pp, but worth more like $60/pp. You wouldn't believe the spread!

We stayed there for our last cruise. It was great. Beautiful view, clean and rooms are large and comfortable. If you stay see if you can get a room with a view of the Queen Mary. Very pretty. Here are some pix.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12802&stc=1&d=1130188430,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12803&stc=1&d=1130188430,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12804&stc=1&d=1130188430

1534622509_Hawaii9232005057.jpg.39b5e6801b45ffcf31a8fed12da8d527.jpg

1983202524_Hawaii9232005059.jpg.6c4ff4bee0d4b4bc1e32389a85760457.jpg

784748885_Hawaii9232005060.jpg.7adf1c0eb582f5438222f29f68763beb.jpg

Reasons not to stay in San Pedro.

1. You enjoy having to find a taxi or shuttle in the morning to get you to the ship.

2. You absolutly have to have 25 resturants to choose from for dinner.

3. You do not find it a thrill to wake up in the morning with a view of your Cruise Ship.

4. It is much more fun not to be one of the first on board and you enjoy waiting in lines. (Free shuttle to the pier, and it's just down the street)

5. You have more than one full day to kill till your cruise.

As for the Best Wetern Sunrise, it is only a 2 star hotel but from my past experience it is clean with comfortable beds. They include free parking if you drive in. They have a fair free breakfast in the morning. If you want to go out to a store and stock up on that pop and beer for the cruise the hotel shuttle will take you. A room with a view will let you wake up to the sight of your ship at the dock. We have stayed there before and will be staying there prior to our Island Princees Cruise in December.

Stan

MLYMD:

We're staying at the Best Western - Sunrise in San Pedro the end of Nov. I've read good and bad reviews so will just take our chances. My husband wanted to be as close to the pier as possible. I'll post as soon as we get back and let you know how it was. We booked the Super Shuttle from LAX to the hotel. I think $17 PP. Not too bad. I'm sure a taxi would be much more considering the traffic you could run into.

Lynn

Reasons not to stay in San Pedro.

1. You enjoy having to find a taxi or shuttle in the morning to get you to the ship.

2. You absolutly have to have 25 resturants to choose from for dinner.

3. You do not find it a thrill to wake up in the morning with a view of your Cruise Ship.

4. It is much more fun not to be one of the first on board and you enjoy waiting in lines. (Free shuttle to the pier, and it's just down the street)

5. You have more than one full day to kill till your cruise.

As for the Best Wetern Sunrise, it is only a 2 star hotel but from my past experience it is clean with comfortable beds. They include free parking if you drive in. They have a fair free breakfast in the morning. If you want to go out to a store and stock up on that pop and beer for the cruise the hotel shuttle will take you. A room with a view will let you wake up to the sight of your ship at the dock. We have stayed there before and will be staying there prior to our Island Princees Cruise in December.

Stan

thank you, thank you, thank you

although I had heard mixed reviews about where to stay, we decided to stick with our original plan of the best western. We will be arriving real late so it won't matter what's around there... just get us to the pier the next day!

Regarding the Best Wetern Sunrise, how far of a walk is it to the Port's O Call area? We just need to spend one night prior to our cruise and will not have a car. Any comments on the Holiday Inn? Are they safe to walk around?

Would rather save a bit of $ for the cruise itself...

Thanks for all the advice. We are going to keep our plans and stay at the Best Western. We don't get there until about 4:00pm and its nice to be so close to the ship. It's only one night, I think we will survive!!

Marcy

Regarding the Best Wetern Sunrise, how far of a walk is it to the Port's O Call area? We just need to spend one night prior to our cruise and will not have a car. Any comments on the Holiday Inn? Are they safe to walk around?

When we came back from Alaska out of SF we stopped at San Pedro on our drive to San Diego. We to had heard bad reports about SP. The Best Western was full so we stayed at the Holiday Inn. I live in a worse area at home than either of the two places.

In March when we go to Hawaii we are booked at the BWS we will drive up the day before from San Diego and enjoy some of the features of Ports of Call. There are several musums close to the PoC and the motel and the PoC area is at most a third of a mile from the BWS. As for transportation the motel has shuttle to the terminal so that is covered

The PoC has many nice resturants and shops and we are going to do one of the boat tours around the shipping basin area. Across the bridge is one of the largest container ports in the states and the size is staggering.I think if you open your eyes to new things you will find the SP area very interesting.

Stayed at the Sheraton San Pedro in October of 04 before going to Mexico on the Diamond Princess. Gag. The online information makes the hotel seem like its right across the street from the pier, which it is not. Convenient to the pier, yes...but not on the scenic route. The hotel is old and the rooms are well used. Rooms have views of adjoining buildings or rooftops. No restaurants within walking distance and not many taxis in that neighborhood. I didn't like the look of the area at all and didn't think I wanted to walk around there after dark. If you have to stay in San Pedro, I'd opt for the Marina which is a little better situated, but don't look for luxury there either. If I sailed from that port again, I'd stay in Long Beach where there is so much more to do and many choices for restaurants. Note: We also booked Super Shuttle from LAX and it took us nearly three hours to get to San Pedro. They took too many passengers who lived far and wide and by the time we dropped them all off, we were entrenched in LA rush hour traffic. Good luck.:eek:

We just stayed at the Marina Inn in Sept. It was fine. Ask for a room overloking the marina and the boats. Our room needed a little up do but Much better than Best Western. Half the time the elevator didnt work at Sunrise. Marina Inn is much better shape. THey start shuttles as early as 6:30 to the terminal.

We will be driving over on 12/30 - so we will stay in San Pedro - it seems like a no brainer - Long Beach is quite a drive from San Pedro and the hotels only offer a shuttle to the Long Beach Pier - parking at the pier is $12/day - so Im going to try the Marina based on comments here - thanks

Archived