Best brand for inexpensive snorkel gear

pjfnme

Hello all. I'm currently looking for some relatively inexpensive snorkel gear for an upcoming cruise. So far I've narrowed it down to Promate, Cressi and Phantom Aquatics. They are all very comparable and have similar reviews. Any opinions as to which would be the better brand in general? Also, is the purge function in the mask something that I should be looking for or does it really matter? I've never had a mask with that option so, I'm not really sure what the advantages would be. Thanks!

Cressi makes "real" dive gear in addition to inexpensive ... I've never heard of the other companies. Been diving for over 40 years

Purge valve's purpose is to make it easier to clear water from the mask underwater. Most divers shy away as they can leak as much as they might help . . . if you do not know how to clear water without lifting your head out of the water it won't help you ...

I am not an expert but I love the Sporti Floating Swim Fins we bought a few years ago. Simple slip on soft rubber also inexpensive. There are similar ones with other names. They are a simple one piece slip on.

We also have Cressi snorkels. The masks were a few different brands. We stayed away form the big box discount stuff for the snorkel and mask.

We ordered everything online but we life in a smaller two with limited sporting goods stores.

Go to a local dive shop and get your mask there. They should have a wide variety of them in a large price range. You will be much happier. Fit is the most important thing. If it doesn't fit properly, it will probably leak, which is no fun. Our faces are all shaped differently so every mask will not fit everyone.

I have have taught many snorkeling classes where people purchase inexpensive masks online and come to class and have to stop because of leaking. I let them try my mask or one of the spare ones we have and they have no problems.