Uber - tipping for ride to port

How can this be? You arrive at my house, and you don't know whether I expect you to drive me 10 miles or 100 miles? Without this very basic information, how can you schedule your time /your other rides?

This is correct the ping goes to the driver that is closest to you and only shows where we are driving to pick u up. Until you get in my car and I hit start ride I have no clue where we end up could be 2 miles could be 50 no idea

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's my understanding that while an Uber driver does not know my exact destination when he/she picks me, they are given an estimation of time to destination on their app, & can decide whether or not to accept the request.

In, other words, it's pretty clear whether you're going to the corner bistro, taking a longer trip. (only if you've entered the destination on the app)

This has been made pretty clear to me by many Uber drivers.

& we don't, & won't tip any Uber driver, it would defeat the purpose of the uber app in my opinion.

No when I get a ping it tell me how many miles/minutes to where I am driving to pick u up from where i am currently located not the destination

Unless you opt out in your profile, there's a 20% tip built into the ride price.

Sorry but this is not the case Uber fees then the safe rude fee that goes toward background checks etc then the drivers get rest I assure u as a driver and passenger there is no tips included.

The one time I used Uber I had to put my destination in, and it showed the cost of the fare. The distance was only about 2 miles and the cost was under $10. When we got in the car the driver knew where we wanted to go. Do you mean to tell me the Uber driver was obligated to pick me up and can not bypass us?

I once had a driver commit to pick me up, then text me 15 minutes later (he was only 15 minutes away) to find out where I was going. He decided that it was too far for him to bother and I had to ask for another driver. I reported him to Uber - as a rookie, I didn't know that they aren't supposed to do that. On the other hand, he wouldn't have come to pick me up if I hadn't replied.

It's not a perfect program, but I do like it.

This is true IF the passenger enters his/her destination. In 6 uber trips I have never

entered the destination.

One of the ways this billion dollar company continues to grow is the advertising that

tipping is not necessary. I will continue to tip the drivers- a personal decision.

Why not? Don't you want to know the cost of your trip before you commit to it? If I'm paying a flat rate, I do. With a meter, it will vary, but I still have a ballpark idea of the fare...

How can this be? You arrive at my house, and you don't know whether I expect you to drive me 10 miles or 100 miles? Without this very basic information, how can you schedule your time /your other rides?

The uber app schedules our rides, we do not. It's very rare that a passenger wants to go over 50 miles, it's only happened to me once in a year, and it was 55 miles. Again, it's a bit of a gamble for us drivers.

It's my understanding that while an Uber driver does not know my exact destination when he/she picks me, they are given an estimation of time to destination on their app, & can decide whether or not to accept the request.

In, other words, it's pretty clear whether you're going to the corner bistro, taking a longer trip. (only if you've entered the destination on the app)

This has been made pretty clear to me by many Uber drivers.

& we don't, & won't tip any Uber driver, it would defeat the purpose of the uber app in my opinion.

It's your choice (or karma, lol) if you choose to tip or not. And again, when we are prompted with your trip request on uber or Lyft, we DO NOT know where you plan on going. You could want to go 4 blocks, 50 miles, make 3 stops, we do not know.

Edited by sambdking

This from the UBER website:

"In most cities, Uber is a cashless experience. Tipping is voluntary. Tips are not included in the fare, nor are they expected or required. As a rider, you are not obligated to offer your driver a gratuity in cash. If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept."

We always tip when we use UBER. A friend is a driver and he says he maybe gets five tips out of every 100 rides.

I use Uber at times and do not tip

Extra cash. Again, defeats the purpose of cashless society. If

Driver doesn't like the job, he can always do something else. Just like if I don't like my job, I can do something else.

Uber drivers don't need a tip. They're typically less qualified than regular cab drivers, they have less expenses, their cars aren't as well maintained, they have fewer fees to pay, and they also earn around 20% more than a regular cab driver does for the same work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That US tipping-urge is insane!:rolleyes:

I thought the same thing for ages. Being from the UK we are a lot different on our tipping culture.

"Give more than 10%.......don't be stupid!" I can't tell you how many times I've been told that when paying a bill. It's just not the way in UK Australia etc

However whilst there is no need to tip above and beyond your contract with the uber/cruise company/restaurant/whatever......any tip is appreciated by the receiver

It is also good for the soul to give a little where you can when you don't need to.......try it!

You don't need to but........

This is correct the ping goes to the driver that is closest to you and only shows where we are driving to pick u up. Until you get in my car and I hit start ride I have no clue where we end up could be 2 miles could be 50 no idea

So my question remains, how can this be? How can you schedule your time /other jobs?
The uber app schedules our rides, we do not. It's very rare that a passenger wants to go over 50 miles, it's only happened to me once in a year, and it was 55 miles. Again, it's a bit of a gamble for us drivers.

Ooops -- saw this after I wrote the above.

However, it's still not making sense. The Uber people may know that Driver A will only be able to handle one job tonight because it's lengthy, whereas Driver B is scheduled for three short rides ... but Uber cannot know anything else about your plans. They can't know that you're glad to drive 'til midnight on Friday night, but you have plans at 9:00 on Saturday night. So if you accept a job at 7:00 on Saturday night, and the people end up needing a lengthy ride, what happens?

Edited by MrsPete

So my question remains, how can this be? How can you schedule your time /other jobs?

Ooops -- saw this after I wrote the above.

However, it's still not making sense. The Uber people may know that Driver A will only be able to handle one job tonight because it's lengthy, whereas Driver B is scheduled for three short rides ... but Uber cannot know anything else about your plans. They can't know that you're glad to drive 'til midnight on Friday night, but you have plans at 9:00 on Saturday night. So if you accept a job at 7:00 on Saturday night, and the people end up needing a lengthy ride, what happens?

That's why it's a bit of a gamble for the driver. If I am driving around noon and I have an appointment I must make at 4pm, I will plan to go offline no later than 3pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk