Uber - tipping for ride to port

Hi everyone,

We are going on the Explorer of the Seas this October from Seattle.

There are four of us staying on 3rd Avenue in a appartment and are looking to take a Uber to the Port to board the ship. We use Uber in Melbourne (Aust) and one of the things I love about it is not needing cash.

So my question is, is it explected to tip a Uber Diver? We do not tip as a rule in Australia and I know you do in the USA. So being a cashless transaction that is auctomtic, do you tip? And if so how?

Thanks

Sylva.

This post will eventually be moved or deleted, but, like on the ship the tip is included in the ride. If you want to tip more, you can do it in cash.

Biker, who did not see such a tipping question coming.

Unless you opt out in your profile, there's a 20% tip built into the ride price.

Thanks Biker, I will need to check that out. I will still leave it on though.

Edited by A&L_Ont

From an article in May:

While Uber maintains its policy that “…tips are not included on Uber’s platforms (except on UberTAXI), and that tipping is neither expected nor required” as part of the settlement, it retreats by adding, “…riders are free to offer tips and drivers are welcome to accept them.”

So I'm doubting the claims here that there's a tip calculated in normal Uber rates.

OP, Uber says tipping isn't needed. My friend the Uber driver in Los Angeles disagrees.

Uber's policy is no tipping required but if you offer it the driver won't refuse.

I've had tips refused.

From an article in May:

So I'm doubting the claims here that there's a tip calculated in normal Uber rates.

OP, Uber says tipping isn't needed. My friend the Uber driver in Los Angeles disagrees.

I don't normally tip Uber drivers unless they handle my luggage. I figure that's an "above and beyond" function and they deserve something for that. I will never tip a driver who talks about how many tips s/he normally gets during the ride (have had that happen) or is soliciting funds for the miracle cure for PTSD that he has developed (has happened once).

I don't imagine that my Uber ratings are perfect (yes, the drivers can rate us the way we rate them).

From an article in May:

Agreed. There is a tip setting in the profile, but this tip is only applied and included on UberTaxi bookings.

UberX and other bookings don't have a tip included via the app; it has to be done separately in cash.

From an article in May:

Uber driver wants more money? Hardly surprising.

This is interesting. I don't uber often, but I've never given an extra tip (unless, as previously commented, if they've assisted with bags.) I assume then that there is a different pricing structure and that the drivers get more from each ride than cab drivers. Anyone know/confirm?

Always tip your Uber driver.

Especially if the trip is less than about 3 miles, or the fare is less than $10. Uber always takes a flat fee so short trips can really cost Uber drivers a lot of money.

No, that's not how it works. You don't get to make up arbitrary tipping criteria for everyone else. Uber drivers are free to refuse short trips.

Hello, I am an UberX and Lyft Driver, have been for a year now.

-Tips are very much appreciated, and not built into any of the costs

-On Lyft, you can add a tip after your ride via the app, electronically. There is really never a need for paper cash on a Lyft ride.

-Uber does not have the above feature, so a tip would have to be made in cash

-Uber does NOT tell drivers they have to refuse a cash tip

-An Uber driver cannot "refuse" a short trip as we do not know your destination until we arrive to you and start the trip, with you in, or getting into, our vehicle.

Please feel free to reply with any questions you may have, again, I believe I am the only uber/Lyft driver to chime in on this thread yet, so please hesitate to state something you "have heard via the grapevine" or just thought was how something was done as a fact.

Cheers all!

We used Uber a lot in LA a few weeks ago. As others said tip is built in, but we did tip one driver and he was so surprised as though he had never got one before.

As a driver the tip is not included those are Uber fees.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

In addition to all of the great advice in this thread, I also recommend you have the Lyft app installed as well. Sometimes Uber or Lyft will be cheaper than the other at some arbitrary time of day or location you're being picked up from. I think most places that have Uber also have Lyft. You can check the prices before committing to a driver.

-On Lyft, you can add a tip after your ride via the app, electronically. There is really never a need for paper cash on a Lyft ride.

-An Uber driver cannot "refuse" a short trip as we do not know your destination until we arrive to you and start the trip, with you in, or getting into, our vehicle.

Please feel free to reply with any questions you may have, again, I believe I am the only uber/Lyft driver to chime in on this thread yet, so please hesitate to state something you "have heard via the grapevine" or just thought was how something was done as a fact.

Cheers all!

The one time I used Uber I had to put my destination in, and it showed the cost of the fare. The distance was only about 2 miles and the cost was under $10. When we got in the car the driver knew where we wanted to go. Do you mean to tell me the Uber driver was obligated to pick me up and can not bypass us?

The one time I used Uber I had to put my destination in, and it showed the cost of the fare. The distance was only about 2 miles and the cost was under $10. When we got in the car the driver knew where we wanted to go. Do you mean to tell me the Uber driver was obligated to pick me up and can not bypass us?

Yup! That's how it works, it's kind of a gamble for us drivers, but that's part of the fun too, IMHO. We see your destination once we have arrived and hit the "start trip" button. If a driver REALLY didn't want your trip, he could drive off just as your about to enter his car, but that's about it.

Yup! That's how it works, it's kind of a gamble for us drivers, but that's part of the fun too, IMHO. We see your destination once we have arrived and hit the "start trip" button. If a driver REALLY didn't want your trip, he could drive off just as your about to enter his car, but that's about it.

Cool, thanks for answering and breaking it down.

How can this be? You arrive at my house, and you don't know whether I expect you to drive me 10 miles or 100 miles? Without this very basic information, how can you schedule your time /your other rides?

Cheers all!

It's my understanding that while an Uber driver does not know my exact destination when he/she picks me, they are given an estimation of time to destination on their app, & can decide whether or not to accept the request.

In, other words, it's pretty clear whether you're going to the corner bistro, taking a longer trip. (only if you've entered the destination on the app)

This has been made pretty clear to me by many Uber drivers.

& we don't, & won't tip any Uber driver, it would defeat the purpose of the uber app in my opinion.

Edited by cruise kitty

It's my understanding that while an Uber driver does not know my exact destination when he/she picks me, they are given an estimation of time to destination on their app, & can decide whether or not to accept the request.

In, other words, it's pretty clear whether you're going to the corner bistro, taking a longer trip. (only if you've entered the destination on the app)

This has been made pretty clear to me by many Uber drivers.

& we don't, & won't tip any Uber driver, it would defeat the purpose of the uber app in my opinion.

This is true IF the passenger enters his/her destination. In 6 uber trips I have never

entered the destination.

One of the ways this billion dollar company continues to grow is the advertising that

tipping is not necessary. I will continue to tip the drivers- a personal decision.