Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I believe that's the price for the Ultimate Beverage Package that includes alcohol. They do sell a soda only package that has two price points, one for kids and one for adults. That package does not require everyone to buy it.

Nope, it is a 10 day cruise. Here is what it says under soda package:

Soda Package

Details

$7.50 USD per person per day (Adults & Teens Ages 13+)

$5.50 USD per child per day (Kids Ages 3-12)

Package Includes: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic water, Club Soda. Unlimited Fountain Soda. The entire cruise must be purchased and is non-refundable. Souvenir thermal mug is included in the purchase of the program. Children ages 3-12 staying in the same stateroom will be required to purchase the Children's Soda Package.

Need To Know

Applicable beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise.

Price includes an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

OOPS! Someone else posted this earlier.

Edited by pizzalady1

"It's a security issue, but we've received assurances from all active terror organisations that it won't be a security issue until July 15. Enjoy your cruise."

--NCL

And it's not a security issue if you bring a bottle of wine. As long as you pay the corkage fee it becomes ok. Someone should let TSA know that NCL best security practices say it's ok to bring bottles of wine but not an unopened can of coke. We don't know yet how much a security issue a shampoo/conditioner bottle is or isn't. According to TSA it's not ok to bring a full bottle of either but for security sake I'm guessing NCL will allow it, kinda like the wine bottle which completely negates the premise of security.

I could totally see them saying they want to make more money, devising some sort of package for water bottles, canned soda... and even charging a good chunk of change for it. Just not tell us the only reason is security when it's blatantly false.

If you look for the value everywhere like you say then you are making a big mistake not utilizing credit cards for at the very least the cashback option...

I let my bf charge those items on his. We don't lose out. But thanks.

Nope, it is a 10 day cruise. Here is what it says under soda package:

Soda Package

Details

$7.50 USD per person per day (Adults & Teens Ages 13+)

$5.50 USD per child per day (Kids Ages 3-12)

Package Includes: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic water, Club Soda. Unlimited Fountain Soda. The entire cruise must be purchased and is non-refundable. Souvenir thermal mug is included in the purchase of the program. Children ages 3-12 staying in the same stateroom will be required to purchase the Children's Soda Package.

Need To Know

Applicable beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise.

Price includes an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

I missed that it was a total for the cruise and not per day, my bad. Do they actually make everyone buy the soda package? That's another change if so.

Agree, thanks to CAS for the drink card.

Even though I don't bring anything on board, I hope they have a system set up to notify all their customers, otherwise many will bring their water and soda on like they normally do and that will be a lot of wasted money spent on something they can no longer bring on board. I guess the porters at the airport will get a lot of free water and soda.

I think, just as with liquor, they'd confiscate it and return it at end of cruise.

We don't bring on soda or cases of water. But I do think it ridiculous that I'll have to pour out any unfinished water I've brought in bottle from airport or hotel.

Relax. The poster you are responding to was responding to someone who referred to him/herself as an <ahem> "upper tier" passenger because they booked a suite :rolleyes: utterly ridiculous, and they deserved the tongue lashing they received.

No, I did not catch that. Thanks

I have been a loyal Norwegian Cruise Line passenger for several years now. I have seen several policy changes and the deterioration of the Latitudes Program. This is probably a deal breaker for me as I do not like Pepsi products and generally bring canned Coke products and juices (even when I have the drink packages) for my low blood sugar issues to keep in my refrigeration on board.

I think its time to start reviewing other cruise options including a planned cruise for March of next year and a booked cruise to Europe for June 2017. I just don't think NCL is interesting in retaining its frequent traveler base.

Alan

Norwegian Getaway – 6/2017

Norwegian Sun - 8/2016

Norwegian Escape – 3/2016

Norwegian Getaway – 7/2015

Norwegian Dawn – 3/2015

Norwegian Star - 3/2013

My guess it's a security issue like airline rules. All you getting your panties in a bunch, find another mode of vacation or suck it up. Sheesh.

NCL saying that it is a security issue is BS, but you can of course believe what you want. You also don't get to tell other people what to not be upset about since that's a personal thing. I'm not upset but will certainly factor this in when choosing future cruises.

If purchased on the ship, individuals can buy instead of the entire cabin. The online system makes everyone in the cabin buy it, but it's never been a policy or anything. By the way - how long is your cruise? The adult soda package on my upcoming 7 nighter is $61.95 including grats.

10 days

I think, just as with liquor, they'd confiscate it and return it at end of cruise.

We don't bring on soda or cases of water. But I do think it ridiculous that I'll have to pour out any unfinished water I've brought in bottle from airport or hotel.

Uh, no:

Per the NCL website moments ago:

"What happens if I bring a case of water to the ship?

Guests who bring beverages to embarkation will be directed to return the items to their vehicle. If the guest does not have a vehicle onsite, the items will be disposed of."

A shame!

(We HATE Pepsi products. We'd be happy enough to PURCHASE Diet Coke at high prices - we do that at restaurants/hotels/etc. - but that is impossible on NCL.)

Glad to know that NCL has a way to screen wine bottles that is unavailable to airlines and TSA :rolleyes:

Does NCL allow u to bring on 2 bottles of wine at no charge like other cruise lines?

You may bring on as many bottles as you want- at $15 corkage fee a pop. I suppose we should be thankful they didn't institute a "pop top" fee for bringing soda on.

OMG, I HATE those machines!! They are so filthy, sticky, and disgusting. They keep popping up more and more places all the time, and they make me want to vomit. I won't even buy a beverage anywhere that uses them. I can't imagine a more germ-infested roach magnet way of dispensing soda. I definitely wouldn't have a soda on RCL if it had to come from one of those. I assume they still have other ways of giving you pop.

Gross!

On RCCL these machines are even more disgusting than at the land-based burger joints where I have seen them. On our last RCL cruise my kids even refused to use them. They were on the pool deck and beyond vile. Eeewwww

My guess it's a security issue like airline rules. All you getting your panties in a bunch, find another mode of vacation or suck it up. Sheesh.

So helpful.

You do realize that this soda/water carry-on thing is but one cog in a giant gear of NCL policy and pricing changes recently which are driving long-time customers away?

Or do you realize that and you simply could not wait to use the phrase "panties in a bunch" today?

Try looking at the bigger picture.

Added to the list.

• Nickelodeon gone
  • Geoffrey Zakarian gone
  • Cake Boss gone
  • 18% gratuity on specialty dining
  • DSC raised twice
  • drink prices raised
  • 18% gratuity on drinks
  • 18% gratuity on food/coffee purchases ( Java Cafe/Carlo's/gelato etc)
  • Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu
  • Hippo Slide at GSC gone
  • Fireworks gone
  • UDP is now SDP
  • UBP used to be for everyone in room, but now it's just first two passengers
  • Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast"
  • Blue Man Group gone
  • Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP
  • No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants
  • Port times shortened on a number of itineraries "for your convenience"
  • No more free Cirque or Illusionarium on first night with dining package
  • Margaritaville on Escape is now a la carte. Used to be included.
  • Cancellation policy got much worse.
  • SDP price increased.
  • Fewer days for SDP on promos.
  • Available wines have gotten worse. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49635954&postcount=64
  • Certain menu items (like Seafood Extravaganza at Ocean Blue) not covered by SDP upcharge.
  • Bayamo upcharge for SDP increased.
  • Dining packages no longer have fixed $10 price for second entree at Cagney's and Le Bistro. Now charged full a la carte price for entree.
  • Uptown/Flamingo Grill being replace with Margaritaville. Free dining place replace for fee-based one with similar food.
  • AARP discount gone.
  • Haven breakfast and lunch menu items scaled back. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356561
  • Water, soda and juices can not be brought on board either as carry-on or checked luggage https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

What's missing from that list is the bloated fares compared to the competition.

When Carnival stopped allowing bottles of water, I pre-ordered 2 12-packs on line prior to cruising and they were $3.99 I believe. With 2 diabetics in the room, we would have no desire to pay the price NCL charges........but I don't think they would accept that as a medical reason as it's not distilled. (But on the flip side.....there's Pepsi:))

I have a fiend who has a child with renal disease. She was able to get a physicians note( on a prescription pad) to bring bottled waters for her child. I believe it was for RCCL. They did allow it even though RCL sells bottled water. She went via the special needs/ accommodations office.you can give it try!

I missed that it was a total for the cruise and not per day, my bad. Do they actually make everyone buy the soda package? That's another change if so.

Someone posted earlier that they force everyone to buy the package online, but on the ship they don't enforce it. Someone else already said that a can from the fridge is $2.95, which is cheaper for me than the $7.50 per day.

Still stinks with the "for our safety" babble.

Someone posted earlier that they force everyone to buy the package online, but on the ship they don't enforce it. Someone else already said that a can from the fridge is $2.95, which is cheaper for me than the $7.50 per day.

Still stinks with the "for our safety" babble.

Thanks for the clarification. I only ever bought it onboard and then only for the kids. They made sure that I got my money's worth out of the package:).

You may bring on as many bottles as you want- at $15 corkage fee a pop. I suppose we should be thankful they didn't institute a "pop top" fee for bringing soda on.

:D Though, seriously, a "pop top" fee for the ability to bring some Coke aboard wouldn't be so bad (as the option against not having it at all). At least it would be some sort of option.

Didn't Carnival substantially lower the cost of purchasing cases of bottled water onboard as a response to uhappy guests not being able to being bottled water? I doubt it will happen, but maybe NCL will respond in kind. I'm sure it will take a while, but maybe it will get there.

I don't normally condone the use of bottled water and try to fill my own reusable water bottle as much as possible, but there are times when it just makes sense to have bottled water. For me, one of those times is when something in the water onboard (when I partake in the copious amounts required for Caribbean heat) screws my stomach all to pieces. Yes, it's filtered, no, I'm not drinking my drinks without ice for fear of dying. I don't believe it's contaminated or filtered terribly. I get the same results in Florida and at resorts in tropical areas. It won't kill me, as I've learned that my medical issues never really allow for a happy tummy, but my life is sure easier when I remember to use bottled water in certain places instead (and I'm picky about my bottled water, even).

Didn't Carnival substantially lower the cost of purchasing cases of bottled water onboard as a response to uhappy guests not being able to being bottled water? I doubt it will happen, but maybe NCL will respond in kind. I'm sure it will take a while, but maybe it will get there.

I don't normally condone the use of bottled water and try to fill my own reusable water bottle as much as possible, but there are times when it just makes sense to have bottled water. For me, one of those times is when something in the water onboard (when I partake in the copious amounts required for Caribbean heat) screws my stomach all to pieces. Yes, it's filtered, no, I'm not drinking my drinks without ice for fear of dying. I don't believe it's contaminated or filtered terribly. I get the same results in Florida and at resorts in tropical areas. It won't kill me, as I've learned that my medical issues never really allow for a happy tummy, but my life is sure easier when I remember to use bottled water in certain places instead (and I'm picky about my bottled water, even).

As I recall CCL lowered the price concurrently with the policy change and they started off at $2.99 for a case of 12, and shortly after that raised the price to $3.99 (which did cause a fair bit of discussion on the CCL board).

Yup, you *must* be right.

NCL has a better way to screen bottles of wine that the airlines and TSA haven't figured out yet, eh?

Until a few years ago, we often hand-carried a bottle or two of a special wine from our cellar, so we could enjoy the wine at our destination.

(We'd often ask a hotel to let the wine sit, and then decant and serve it for our subsequent dinner reservation. They rarely charged a corkage fee, but if they did, fair enough.)

But that's not allowed now, just as carrying on bottles of shampoo (other than mini-bottles) are not.

Bottles of shampoo and wine (separate bottles! :eek:) can be packed in luggage, but not carried on and not accessible by passengers during transit.

NCL is happy to allow any passengers to carry on bottles *labelled* as shampoo or body wash or whatever, plus bottles of wine, AND to have access to those at any time during transit.

Why doesn't NCL share their special screening technology with airlines and TSA?

SO selfish that they don't do that, right?

:D Though, seriously, a "pop top" fee for the ability to bring some Coke aboard wouldn't be so bad (as the option against not having it at all). At least it would be some sort of option.

Very true, DW would appreciate having her Coke (I'm fine with either Coke or Pepsi myself).

Second, I've raised the issue of no Coke products in popular chains like Applebees and have been told that I can bring in my Coke product of choice (love you, Coke Zero) since they don't offer it on their menu. If there is no option to bring in a Coke, we just drink tap water.

In all my years of going out to restaurants, I've never seen anyone bring their own soda into an establishment. I'm a Coke drinker, but if they serve Pepsi, I either drink Pepsi or something else. I do this in restaurants and I do it on NCL.

It goes beyond sodas. You cannot bring your favorite coffee creamer, etc. I am going to start reviewing other companies policies, but even with the change in Carnival last year, the ban only applied to bottled drinks. My understanding was you could still bring on canned sodas. This is about people bringing on liquor, but NCL has been freely giving drink packages for years. I have two cruises currently booked and both have free drink packages so I would not be sneaking on liquor. The issue for me is being able to have coke products in my room, coffee creamer of my choice and some juice in my room in case I get low blood sugar during the night or on an excursion.

I think this is definitely a deal breaker for me.

Alan

Norwegian Getaway – 6/2017

Norwegian Sun - 8/2016

Norwegian Escape – 3/2016

Norwegian Getaway – 7/2015

Norwegian Dawn – 3/2015

Norwegian Star - 3/2013

As I recall CCL lowered the price concurrently with the policy change and they started off at $2.99 for a case of 12, and shortly after that raised the price to $3.99 (which did cause a fair bit of discussion on the CCL board).

Now, see, that I'd be okay with. I would be fine with paying a couple of extra bucks to have a case of water appear in my cabin instead of having to lug it to the port. But their current pricing, honestly, is enough to make me switch cruise lines in the future, just out of spite.