Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

This is just another example of them trying to make more money. I was annoyed when their UBP didn't include water and now having to pay $22.95 plus gratutity for six. What if I take one off board with me then don't drink it and bring it back? Are they going to throw it?

I have kids and I always carry a water with me. Maybe now I'll just carry a refillable bottle or buy one at a time in port because it will still be less then what they charge.

Dude that seriously wasn't called for. No need to be that sour. This isn't the end of the world. OP is entitled to post their opinion, as are you (many times now). No need to get personal.
Let's see now , yes everyone is entitled to post their opinion but it is rude to dismiss what is an important issue for others . And when you add , (many times now) , who is being rude ?

We can both agree that this isn't the end of the world but I'm trying not to get too preachy about others , dude .

Shame on you for making me post Dude :D

Cruise lines all have revenue targets. They vary to some degree in their strategy and business model. NCL largely competes with CCL and RCCL, with an attempt to upscale a bit with Haven (which initially kicked off the entire concept of private areas for suite guests on mainstream lines). The primary difference in business models between those lines started with NCL going with their free style model, where the primary difference was in dining. Since that change they have always depended upon more on board spending then the other mainstream lines.

When you want to analyze company behaviors look at the numbers. The following is a comparison between NCLH, and RCL (Norwegians and Royal last 10k stock filings)

NCLH / Percentage from on board sales / net margin

2015 / 27.9% / 9.8%

2014 / 30.4% / 10.8%

2013 / 30.5% / 4.4%

RCL

2015 / 27% / 9.4%

2014 / 28% / 5.9%

2013 / 27% / .02%

So with NCL last year they had a noticeable change in where their revenue came from with a drop from normal in their amount coming from on board revenue. The high net margins for both lines the last two years has been the result of low fuel prices. Not surprised to see them take steps to beef up on board revenue based upon the numbers.

With that said cruise lines will monitor impacts of policy on revenue. If they see impacts such as carry on of drinks remaining low enough they will let it slide. If they see a growing trend that has the potential to impact revenue models they will take action to stop the trend before it gets out of control.

We have seen NCL take action on the currency exchange loophole where they were allowing very generous currency exchange rates for purchase of onboard credit, when people started taking advantage by turning it into an arbitrage and put far more money in then they intended to spend on board and then cashing out the excess. A practice that some posted on CC to spread the word on how to take advantage of the system.

We are now seeing the same thing take place on the practice of taking drinks on board. Bottom line is that it has grown to where the cruise line has decided to stop the trend and kill the practice.

I also suspect that what they are saying is correct in that the number of drinks being carried aboard is impacting security check time as they are screened. That does not mean that there are not other reasons, including economic ones, only that the security check time is probably correct as being part of the reason.

With one of their primary competitors (RCCL) having adopted a similar model, it is not surprising that they feel that they can also make the same move.

Edited by RDC1

That's fine for you, I just find it to be ridiculous to change because of bottled water. Tap water is perfectly fine.

I don't see it as NCL taking away your choice, you are choosing not to drink what they have available on board.

So in your line of thinking.... if I was a vegetarian, (I'm not.. but just for argument's sake) and all they served on board was meat, then you would argue that I am "choosing not to eat what they have available on board?"

According to her, yes, you should eat meat and go against everything you stand for :rolleyes:

So in your line of thinking.... if I was a vegetarian, (I'm not.. but just for argument's sake) and all they served on board was meat, then you would argue that I am "choosing not to eat what they have available on board?"

I think NCL forgot who they work for, the passengers! Without passengers there would not be NCL. Passengers should be able to continue to bring on the drinks of choice as everyone has their own preference. To pay their rediclious price for water is outrageous! the Board of Directors for NCL needs to step up and change this policy immediately!

That's fine for you, I just find it to be ridiculous to change because of bottled water. Tap water is perfectly fine.

Tap water on the ship may be fine for you. But possibly not everyone. Ship's water cause my feet and hands to swell. After my first 2 cruises on 2 different lines with swelling, I found that switching to bottled water during my cruises prevented this condition. I drink a lot of water on a cruise, and bottled water is fine for me :)

I've read quite a few other CC posters on various forums who also experience swelling from ship water. I appreciated NCL allowing me to carry bottled water on board when I sailed them last year. Sad to see that the only option now is paying the inflated price on board when I cruise. Hopefully they will follow CCL's lead in providing an affordable option on board.

I would say that being a vegetarian is a choice(most of the time), and if you know ahead of time, then you can choose not to cruise.

However in your case you are choosing not to drink tap water. Unless there is a medical condition that says you can't drink from the water at the buffet, I think it's quite silly to change your vacation plans. Just my opinion.

To you, yes, but to many who have sailed for many years with NCL and have undergone a lot of changes since Del Rio took over it's not so small.

I think people should worry about other things that aren't so trivial, but if this is a big deal for someone than let them go to another cruise line.

I think people should worry about other things that aren't so trivial, but if this is a big deal for someone than let them go to another cruise line.

No worries, they are. Everyone has a different breaking point.

Tap water on the ship may be fine for you. But possibly not everyone. Ship's water cause my feet and hands to swell. After my first 2 cruises on 2 different lines with swelling, I found that switching to bottled water during my cruises prevented this condition. I drink a lot of water on a cruise, and bottled water is fine for me :)

I've read quite a few other CC posters on various forums who also experience swelling from ship water. I appreciated NCL allowing me to carry bottled water on board when I sailed them last year. Sad to see that the only option now is paying the inflated price on board when I cruise. Hopefully they will follow CCL's lead in providing an affordable option on board.

People also tend to eat and drink vastly different on cruise ships than they do on land, and this could lead to different conditions. I understand that some people could have a medical condition, and some people may prefer bottled water, but the people who CAN"T drink tap water would be a miniscule amount.

Good one ! It would be so such better for Norwegian without having to deal with customers needs and wants .

It is utterly illogical to think that NCL can specifically cater to the desires of every single picky passenger. That's ludicrous.

Tweren't a problem at all til NCL changed the policy.

Rational people adjust. It sucks, and I think it's a stupid policy, but I have faith in the human race that people can adjust.

I, too, have had a major problem with ankle swelling on ships for the last 3 years. I get on the ship and within a day my ankles are swollen up. I had assumed it was the salt in the food until I read a post that it could be the tap water. Since we are in an OS on our next cruise we will have bottled water provided, and I can test my theory by drinking bottled water as much as possible. But for the trips we are not in OS and above, not being able to bring bottled water is a bummer. Also, in the past we liked to bring a few Cokes or our favorite margarita mix. Can't do that now. :mad:

I think NCL forgot who they work for, the passengers! Without passengers there would not be NCL. Passengers should be able to continue to bring on the drinks of choice as everyone has their own preference. To pay their rediclious price for water is outrageous! the Board of Directors for NCL needs to step up and change this policy immediately!

Actually they work for the owners, the shareholders. They run a business that their customers can choose buy from or not.