Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Mountain Valley also comes in plastic bottles, but I prefer the glass. Yes, I bring them aboard in Litre bottles, but I also bring a lot of organic juice drink boxes.

https://www.mountainvalleyspring.com/

But if I choose to not eat meat, and that's all NCL offers, that is also of "my own choosing". And that's precisely my point. NCL is TAKING AWAY MY CHOICE! Just as some of the soda drinkers are upset because they prefer Coke and can only get Pepsi.

BTW.. I don't trust other waters because many of them are just tap water that is bottled. Many have bacteria, and a lot have sodium. After much research, I have confidence in Mountain Valley. Check them out for yourself.. but then, maybe you're not interested in health.

Nowhere in any of my posts did I state that I'm not interested in health, so that comment really wasn't necessary, was it? But you already know that. :rolleyes:

I'm sure many people have their "preferred" waters, and I am aware that there have been studies done which conclude that XYZ water is no more pure than tap water, etc. At home, we use a Brita. At work, we have a Hinckley and Schmitt service. When I am out and about, I fill a reuseable aluminum bottle with my Brita water. But I have to admit that I too, indulge in the occasional bottled water. Sometimes it is just convenient. Especially for places like the gym where I can dispose of the bottle after a sauna or steam.

I've never thought of bottled water as healthier than Brita water. I have always thought of it as a convenience factor. But judging from the hundreds of posts on this thread, many seem to believe that they will die if they can't have their bottled water.

If most brands of bottled water have bacteria and sodium, how are all of these people with medical issues and swollen ankles still alive if they only drink their bottled water?

Edited by blackwing

Can I wear shorts while filling up a water bottle directly? Possibly while smoking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is utterly illogical to think that NCL can specifically cater to the desires of every single picky passenger. That's ludicrous.

Rational people adjust. It sucks, and I think it's a stupid policy, but I have faith in the human race that people can adjust.

Agree, dumb policy but not going to stop my good time.

This move on NCL's part was actually the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I just cancelled my NCL cruise to Alaska next year and booked HAL. There simply have been too many non-passenger friendly changes in the last year. I'd cancel my September cruise but I'm already past final payment. I'm now working on finding good substitutes for the other two NCL cruises I have booked.

At 80 pages everything that can be said has been said numerous times over. The only purpose it serves now is a venue for the argumentative, last word crowd.

You don't say? I can't keep away and it's costing me valuable time (+18%) that could profitably be spent elsewhere - so compulsive. ;)

I think I want to claim the film rights or maybe a mini-series...it's gold dust!

Even if I never cruise again I will keep subscribing to CC, just for the entertainment and a reminder to keep a sense of perspective.

Edited by AquaMarineFerret

We are platinum NCL cruisers. Very upset by their latest ban. Don'tlike Pepsi products so always brought coke & dr. pepper on board with us. Think NCL is over stating problem with boarding, have NEVER had to wait because they were checking soda & water brought on board. Also why couldn't it be packed in your checked luggage? Do they also go through this before its put into your room. May be our last NCL cruise.

I think it's overstated too. I've seen a lot of posts here where people say they slap a luggage tag on a case of water and hand it over to the porters, so I think some is coming through as checked luggage already. Like you I've never had to wait to board because of this. Also never had luggage delivery delayed because of this. Surely if it was that big of an issue we would be seeing posts complaining about these delays.

Lets be clear, part of this is so they can reduce staffing without causing delays. If cases of water coming via checked luggage don't have to be screened, you need less screeners, etc. And while you don't see specific delays at the boarding scanners, its incremental. If each of 2000 people adds just 3 seconds on average to the screening session with beverages, that's 100 mins of delays by the end (which means more gangway time, etc. So there IS an impact (see airport/TSA delays).

Does the impact warrant a ban? That's a judgement call. I would suspect most of us would say no.

I think it's overstated too. I've seen a lot of posts here where people say they slap a luggage tag on a case of water and hand it over to the porters, so I think some is coming through as checked luggage already. Like you I've never had to wait to board because of this. Also never had luggage delivery delayed because of this. Surely if it was that big of an issue we would be seeing posts complaining about these delays.

To summarize and repeat ad nauseum.

1. If the ships systems are working properly, there is no significant sodium in the water. There is magnesium and potassium. Shipboard systems are essentially the same ones used to produce most land based bottled water.

2. NCL serves Pepsi. Not everyone likes Pepsi.

3. NCL charges far too much for bottled water and it is not included in the beverage package.

None of these are the core issue.

4. The core issue is NCL changed the rules again, with short notice, and with no regard for passenger impact that we can see. And this is part of a pattern of behavior in recent months.

People will be upset with 1-3 but there are workarounds for most, or they can be tolerated (whether you choose to is up to you).

Everyone should be upset with #4, and for those people asking why this is a big deal, #4 is it. 1-3 have no effect on me at all, but I am still extremely concerned about #4, because its shows a piss-poor customer service focus, and for a vacation provider that is an important aspect of operations. It leaves one waiting for another shoe to drop that may have significant effect for them or just dilute value already paid and that's not something I want for vacation.

1. If the ships systems are working properly, there is no significant sodium in the water. There is magnesium and potassium. Shipboard systems are essentially the same ones used to produce most land based bottled water.

3. NCL charges far too much for bottled water and it is not included in the beverage package.

4. The core issue is NCL changed the rules again, with short notice, and with no regard for passenger impact that we can see. And this is part of a pattern of behavior in recent months.

People will be upset with 1-3 but there are workarounds for most, or they can be tolerated (whether you choose to is up to you).

Everyone should be upset with #4, and for those people asking why this is a big deal, #4 is it. 1-3 have no effect on me at all, but I am still extremely concerned about #4, because its shows a piss-poor customer service focus, and for a vacation provider that is an important aspect of operations. It leaves one waiting for another shoe to drop that may have significant effect for them or just dilute value already paid and that's not something I want for vacation.

I would add that when they received push back on the issue their spin machine went into high gear and they came out with a canned response that appears to lack any basis in reality.

Cruise lines all have revenue targets. They vary to some degree in their strategy and business model. NCL largely competes with CCL and RCCL, with an attempt to upscale a bit with Haven (which initially kicked off the entire concept of private areas for suite guests on mainstream lines). The primary difference in business models between those lines started with NCL going with their free style model, where the primary difference was in dining. Since that change they have always depended upon more on board spending then the other mainstream lines.

When you want to analyze company behaviors look at the numbers. The following is a comparison between NCLH, and RCL (Norwegians and Royal last 10k stock filings)

NCLH / Percentage from on board sales / net margin

2015 / 27.9% / 9.8%

2014 / 30.4% / 10.8%

2013 / 30.5% / 4.4%

RCL

2015 / 27% / 9.4%

2014 / 28% / 5.9%

2013 / 27% / .02%

So with NCL last year they had a noticeable change in where their revenue came from with a drop from normal in their amount coming from on board revenue. The high net margins for both lines the last two years has been the result of low fuel prices. Not surprised to see them take steps to beef up on board revenue based upon the numbers.

With that said cruise lines will monitor impacts of policy on revenue. If they see impacts such as carry on of drinks remaining low enough they will let it slide. If they see a growing trend that has the potential to impact revenue models they will take action to stop the trend before it gets out of control.

We have seen NCL take action on the currency exchange loophole where they were allowing very generous currency exchange rates for purchase of onboard credit, when people started taking advantage by turning it into an arbitrage and put far more money in then they intended to spend on board and then cashing out the excess. A practice that some posted on CC to spread the word on how to take advantage of the system.

We are now seeing the same thing take place on the practice of taking drinks on board. Bottom line is that it has grown to where the cruise line has decided to stop the trend and kill the practice.

I also suspect that what they are saying is correct in that the number of drinks being carried aboard is impacting security check time as they are screened. That does not mean that there are not other reasons, including economic ones, only that the security check time is probably correct as being part of the reason.

With one of their primary competitors (RCCL) having adopted a similar model, it is not surprising that they feel that they can also make the same move.

I think you lost everyone with this whole "cruise lines are a business trying to make a profit" talk.

Great summary points. Smart in narrowing down to this one key point as to how NCL respects . . . or NOT . . . for their customers. Servicing customer needs and treating them well should be JOB ONE!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 148,369 views for this posting.

Yup, that sums up many concerns - it seems to be symptomatic. Maybe, just maybe, the whole casual Freestyle model just does not work as a profit-making concern. Maybe we're looking at an attempt to turn things around but it's far too much, too quickly. Who am I to judge? I'm new to all this and I find myself, unwittingly and unwillingly, in a time of change and high emotion. The cruise I bought into is not the one I'm getting - that's both disappointing and costly. Like many, I booked based on certain criteria, only to have them changed at the eleventh hour. Sadly, I am an ordinary member of the public who, like most, chose to cruise with NCL in good faith (irrespective of any crappy T&Cs that allow the cruise-line to make changes). I am not a big business that nails down contracts so that eleventh hour changes cannot happen simply because the supplier wants to make more money. Where would we be if every holiday we all took entailed hours of negotiation to ensure a cast-iron contract was drawn up? Nervous (ship)wrecks is my guess. :eek:

I really don't want to get into this debate with you because it has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and that is that NCL is taking away choice and is going to lose customers over it.

If you really want to educate yourself about water, learn about ship board water and the possible contaminants in it, as well as how it can be dangerous for people with high blood pressure.

I also choose not to drink "juice" which is more like a vat of chemicals that is in the buffet. If you think they're serving fresh squeezed orange juice.. ask to see the container it comes in and read the ingredients.

I understand not everyone is as careful about what they put into their body as I am, but I really would appreciate you not be so flippant and respect my right to choose. You have the right to choose to put in whatever chemicals, alcohol, etc you choose, and I'm not going to criticize your choice even though I disagree with it.

I'm definitely educated on ship water and and tap water in general. It's mostly just people being paranoid. If you prefer bottled water that's fine, but the tap water is perfectly safe.

Where did anyone say anything about fresh squeezed juice??

I'm not being flippant at all, and you obviously have the right to choose. Don't blame NCL though for you being so picky.

I think you lost everyone with this whole "cruise lines are a business trying to make a profit" talk.

Not so; as with anything, there are ways and means. This is not the way to happy passengers. Yes, make a profit by all means, but to change the 'rules' at such short notice? Come on! This is a service industry, not some hard-nosed supplier of cold, hard goods. Or maybe I misunderstand the business model?

It strikes me that, based on another comment I saw earlier this evening, maybe NCL is desperately seeking all means and avenues to gain much needed revenue or cut costs and quick! Who knows what else might hit the fan before the end of 2016? :eek:

This move on NCL's part was actually the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I just cancelled my NCL cruise to Alaska next year and booked HAL. There simply have been too many non-passenger friendly changes in the last year. I'd cancel my September cruise but I'm already past final payment. I'm now working on finding good substitutes for the other two NCL cruises I have booked.

I'm with you. Just booked with HAL for our canal cruise at a lower price & I can bring on a bottle of wine, no corkage, and other beverages if I want.

The problem is not (and has never been) the amount of sodium (that pretty much does not exist in distilled water or water produced through reverse osmosis), it's the chlorine that is added to the purified warmer because of health regulations (to keep ship's water lines germ free) and which is a known cause of water retention.

In bars and restaurants that same chlorine is filtered out from the water to prevent residue buildup in their equipment, so it's not the same water that comes out from a tap onboard.

This is the point I don't understand. People were given two weeks notice. That's considered appropriate for leaving a job. How long do you want? We're talking about an enterprise that has ships leaving random ports at random times every weekend (and more)? How much notice is appropriate?

I do think Norwegian had no (or minimal) idea that people would cancel entire cruises over sugar water or their preferred bottled water. Who believes that First World problems really exist? Still, how much notice can you give? You can't grandfather this policy easily because people buy cruises from ten minutes before the ship sails to years before.

The reality is that you pick a date and annouce it. That's what they did.

It has been rather consistent, I think, that notice has been given more than a day before the policy is enforced or implemented.

Policies have been changed. This is not the same as rights being taken away. You never had the right to carry your drinks onboard a ship. You were permitted to do so. Now, you are not longer permitted to do so. That is not losing a right. That is a change in policy.

You used to get free drinks, snacks and meals on airplanes. Now, you don't. That is not losing a right.

You have the right to remain silent. That is a right. However, that right is rarely exercised :) (I choose to not exercise it, as well.)

This is the point I don't understand. People were given two weeks notice. That's considered appropriate for leaving a job. How long do you want? We're talking about an enterprise that has ships leaving random ports at random times every weekend (and more)? How much notice is appropriate?

I do think Norwegian had no (or minimal) idea that people would cancel entire cruises over sugar water or their preferred bottled water. Who believes that First World problems really exist? Still, how much notice can you give? You can't grandfather this policy easily because people buy cruises from ten minutes before the ship sails to years before.

The reality is that you pick a date and annouce it. That's what they did.

It has been rather consistent, I think, that notice has been given more than a day before the policy is enforced or implemented.

Policies have been changed. This is not the same as rights being taken away. You never had the right to carry your drinks onboard a ship. You were permitted to do so. Now, you are not longer permitted to do so. That is not losing a right. That is a change in policy.

You used to get free drinks, snacks and meals on airplanes. Now, you don't. That is not losing a right.

You have the right to remain silent. That is a right. However, that right is rarely exercised :) (I choose to not exercise it, as well.)

I'm not sure if there is a right way or wrong way to change a policy since you can't please anyone, but since Del Rio has taken over NCL seems to choose the absolute wrong way to implement their changes. I really think NCL underestimated (once again) how strongly their customers feel about this issue. They may want to get away from attracting budget minded cruisers but the fact remains that type of cruiser still makes up a good percentage of their passengers.

I'd be curious to know how many people that complain about inability to drink the ship's water due to sodium don't think twice about indulging in Teppanyaki.

I've done the experiment 1/2 trip tap, 1/2 trip bottled water. Swelling went down on the bottled water, and I drink and eat whatever I want. Lots of salt in food and drinks, but the tap water is what makes the difference.

I don't see why they would think people wouldn't cancel because of the new policy. Just about everyone I know is pretty particular about what they do and don't drink in a lot of ways. From their coffee, to water, to sodas, to liquor. Why should they continue to allow someone to bring on a couple bottles of wine, and not allow another to bring a type of soda they might prefer. Personally the headaches I would have from not bringing Mtn Dew on a cruise or vacation would be so awful that I would be quite miserable on my vacation. Not really the way I would want to spend a vacation. I am only lucky in that NCL is the only line that has Pepsi products which are my preferred product. If Carnival were to implement this same policy I would stop looking into cruising Carnival.

There are plenty of other cruise lines that will allow you to bring on your own beverages and really the prices between most of them are pretty comparable. NCL has gotten outrageous on their beverage package - they are the highest I have seen from any of the major lines - it is completely insane. Even Royal's beverage package is cheaper and not everyone in the cabin has to purchase it (Same with Princess).

The problem is not (and has never been) the amount of sodium (that pretty much does not exist in distilled water or water produced through reverse osmosis), it's the chlorine that is added to the purified warmer because of health regulations (to keep ship's water lines germ free) and which is a known cause of water retention.

Thank you for this information! I didn't realize the problem could be chlorine from the treated water (I assumed it was excess sodium). All I know is that when I consume mostly bottled water, instead of drinking only the ship's water, I don't experience the water retention in my feet, ankles and hands.

Thanks for the explanation!

In bars and restaurants that same chlorine is filtered out from the water to prevent residue buildup in their equipment, so it's not the same water that comes out from a tap onboard.

Do you know if there is a reason why Ozone isn't used instead of Chlorine for this purpose?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk