Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Not only is Norwegian willing to risk the health of it's passengers with this new ban on bringing onboard water bottles, it's greedy practices putting the health of it's "guests" in peril, will probably affect it's stock price once Congress reacts to it's poor health practices.

I don't know that Congress has any oversight over a foreign-based company. And the other cruise lines that don't allow carried on beverages don't seem to have been accused of "poor health practices" as far as I know. But I might have missed those threads......

I don't know that Congress has any oversight over a foreign-based company.

I don't know that I've ever heard of a foreign based company headquartered in Miami, Florida. :confused:

https://www.google.com/search?q=NCLH

And the USGC might have something to say about sanitary condition aboard vessels which dock at US ports.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/nvic.asp

And the CDC - they love that stuff...

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/

Edited by triptolemus

For your info:

Regulations and Compliance

The global cruise industry is heavily regulated at both the national and international levels, and enforcement of these regulations is strict and comprehensive. This robust system of protection and enforcement involves the coordinated efforts of a number of global authorities with clear lines of responsibility for industry oversight, including international regulatory bodies, the country where a ship is registered (flag State), countries were a ship visits (port States), and classification societies.

The International Maritime Organization (IMO), an international regulatory body with 170 Member States including the United States, develops and oversees global regulations and standards for the maritime industry, including the safety and operation of cruise ships. The IMO’s Member State governments develop uniform global safety standards for cruise ships, which are constantly being reviewed and strengthened.

The most important IMO instrument is the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), which provides comprehensive mandates on safety equipment and procedures. CLIA participates in development of IMO conventions, regulations, associated resolutions and other international guidelines as a designated Non-Governmental Organization of the IMO.

The nation where a cruise ship is registered has primary responsibility for ensuring that its ships meet all applicable regulatory requirements and standards. In addition, any country whose ports or waters are visited by cruise ships has full authority to examine and take measures to ensure compliance with relevant laws, regulations and international treaties.

In the United States, the Coast Guard is both the principal regulator and the principal enforcement agency of the laws, regulations, and international treaties applicable to cruise ships. Any ship in U.S. ports is subject to U.S. Coast Guard examination for compliance with applicable U.S. laws, regulations and international treaties. At any time, the Coast Guard Captain of the Port can prevent a cruise ship from entering or departing a U.S. port if a serious deficiency is found to exist.

The cruise industry must adhere to robust national and international security regulations, and CLIA cruise lines must meet or outperform all international regulations on security, crime prevention and reporting. The cruise industry is subject to the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS Code), which requires that access to ships and port facilities be tightly controlled.

The cruise industry also adheres to the strictest crime reporting regulations in the hospitality and travel sector. Since 1996, every alleged serious crime on a voyage to or from the United States, and even those involving foreign nationals if the incident happens in U.S. waters, must be reported in writing to the U.S. Coast Guard and FBI, regardless of the ship’s flag or itinerary. By written agreement with the FBI and U.S. Coast Guard, CLIA’s members have further agreed to report any missing U.S. national and any serious crime involving an American on any oceangoing voyage worldwide.

In 2010, the cruise industry worked closely with the U.S. Congress to develop and pass the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act (CVSSA), which codified many existing security programs to establish the most comprehensive set of laws to protect cruise ship passengers. CLIA believes so strongly in the CVSSA’s crime reporting provisions that we worked with the IMO to have them adopted globally. These new global standards on crime will strengthen the collaboration among cruise lines, local and national law enforcement agencies and provide a truly comprehensive response to the prevention and reporting of crime.

Links:

*List of U.S. government and international organizations with oversight of the cruise line industry

- See more at: http://www.cruising.org/about-the-industry/regulatory/issues-facts/safety-and-security/regulations-and-compliance#sthash.VhhQVezW.dpuf

I don't know that Congress has any oversight over a foreign-based company. And the other cruise lines that don't allow carried on beverages don't seem to have been accused of "poor health practices" as far as I know. But I might have missed those threads......

Most of those other lines either include bottled water in at least one of their beverage plans or sell reasonably priced bottled water.

I must admit I am frustrated with reading the posts on this forum. To those criticizing people for not liking specific brands, well that is their choice. They have the right to like or dislike something. Regardless of this being a first world problem, it is a problem for them and we all need to respect their opinion.

I am not happy with NCL. My 4-year old daughter is highly allergic to milk. We always take a lactose free powder and bottle water. The ships do not always have lactose free milk and on several cruises we have been on, they run out.

I also bring my daughter pediasure. Now I can't do this.

What burns my butt the most is the exorbitant price Norwegian is charging for water. I have no problem paying for bottled water but i will not pay $50.00 for 12 bottles that cost at most $10.00. Now there will be ridiculous lines in the buffet because people will be filing their water bottles up.

I imagine my wife going 0 to 60 in about 1 second flat if she were spoken to like that, if you know what I'm saying. Heaven help that bartender...

It's hard to wrap my head around the concept of a surly bartender on a NCL vessel, but imagine the time has come. They can't be getting tipped like they used to before the advent of UBP. I came across my 1st ever surly cabin attendant last spring on the Jade. Maybe the employees are seeing changes as well. Time will tell.

It's hard to wrap my head around the concept of a surly bartender on a NCL vessel, but imagine the time has come. They can't be getting tipped like they used to before the advent of UBP. I came across my 1st ever surly cabin attendant last spring on the Jade. Maybe the employees are seeing changes as well. Time will tell.

to me, what they get paid isn't my business. That's their business, they signed the contract, just like I signed my cruise contract. It's their JOB, at the very least, to do their job without getting snippy. I would have been unhappy if I had been treated like that and would have made note of it in my comment card.

Not always - its free for us -our service charge is included -nothing to pay! With the dollar being strong against the £ - maybe its time for USAers to start booking with a UK agent - that WOULD be a first!

maybe i should have specified for us cruisers. i have checked other sites in different countries and find the prices are always higher than on us sites so either way, you are paying for it. ;)

If a person only has 4 beers in 1 week on a cruise they shouldn't have UBP. There are other perks to choose from.

And for those that do take it and drink so little NCL thanks you!

same problem with udp. so that only leaves the crappy wifi or excursion perks. :(

The Coast Guard might have a say, congress ( no caps, they are no longer worthy ) isn't involved.

I must admit I am frustrated with reading the posts on this forum. To those criticizing people for not liking specific brands, well that is their choice. They have the right to like or dislike something. Regardless of this being a first world problem, it is a problem for them and we all need to respect their opinion.

I am not happy with NCL. My 4-year old daughter is highly allergic to milk. We always take a lactose free powder and bottle water. The ships do not always have lactose free milk and on several cruises we have been on, they run out.

I also bring my daughter pediasure. Now I can't do this.

What burns my butt the most is the exorbitant price Norwegian is charging for water. I have no problem paying for bottled water but i will not pay $50.00 for 12 bottles that cost at most $10.00. Now there will be ridiculous lines in the buffet because people will be filing their water bottles up.

I would certainly hope that NCL would make an exception for the lactose free powder with bottled water for re- constitution and the pediasure as they are claiming they will for the formula. If I were you; I would definitely call guest services &/ or declare what you have with you and why at the security checkpoint. I can't see security turning you away or having to toss those items for your 4 year old. It is a medical issue.

I would certainly hope that NCL would make an exception for the lactose free powder with bottled water for re- constitution and the pediasure as they are claiming they will for the formula. If I were you; I would definitely call guest services &/ or declare what you have with you and why at the security checkpoint. I can't see security turning you away or having to toss those items for your 4 year old. It is a medical issue.

There is another thread on here about someone being denied with medical notes. I bring pedialyte for my son and we bring formula/water too in case he doesn't eat the food onboard. NCL said they'd allow this, but members here have stated otherwise.

There is another thread on here about someone being denied with medical notes. I bring pedialyte for my son and we bring formula/water too in case he doesn't eat the food onboard. NCL said they'd allow this, but members here have stated otherwise.

I hope members are wrong and NCL is allowing people with medical notes. :confused: Denying medical issues is like saying someone with a peanut allergy can't bring an EPI pen! CMON! I guess time will tell, I suppose!