Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I have a question.

Someone hundreds of posts ago mentioned that water bottles can be bad for the environment. We recycle at home: newspapers, bottles, cans, etc.

I wonder if NCL recycles or if they just throw all that stuff away? :confused:

Regardless they still have to haul all that around for 7 days or longer. That pile, even using a compactor, must be huge.

I'm cruising in 5 months. I'm hoping there is a major backlash to this (similar to what was experienced with the "no bringing food back to your room" thing), and NCL changes its poli

You can't take food back to your room? Why, and since when? We rarely do anyway, but still wondering... seems like a bizarre rule to me. Do they still have room service? We almost never use that anyway, but curious. Thanks.

You can't take food back to your room? Why, and since when? We rarely do anyway, but still wondering... seems like a bizarre rule to me. Do they still have room service? We almost never use that anyway, but curious. Thanks.

NCL tried to do this....it was soon recinded..

... water bottles can be bad for the environment. We recycle at home: newspapers, bottles, cans, etc. I wonder if NCL recycles or if they just throw all that stuff away? :confused:

No need to wonder, watched all the actions while standing for the gangway waiting to head downstairs.

Breakaway at the dock on turnaround day, unloading items in NYC.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/b0968018bbcdfb2049c6496e40e1543b.jpg

NCL, by hoping to sell more bottled water onboard but banning them landside from crossing over - isn't eco-friendly or contributing to reducing the carbon footprint either.

Edited by mking8288

We've been on 3 NCL cruises before, but it's been several years. We have one coming up this fall. I just read someone say that they have all Pepsi products, and no Coke. : (

Doesn't bother me not to be able to bring pop and water on the ship though. Although, this cruise if it's true about no Diet Coke available, I probably would be carrying some on, if it was still allowed. This may be my first pop-less cruise. I'll just buy the bottled water on the ship to keep in the room. Water is better for me anyway... pop is pretty much poison... but I love my Diet Coke anyway! : )

Regardless they still have to haul all that around for 7 days or longer. That pile, even using a compactor, must be huge.

You are making some incorrect assumptions.

They do recycle everything they can, and incinerate the stuff that can't be recycled.

They can off load the recyclables at almost any port, but they have ample room for storing the aluminum, glass, cardboard, paper, etc.

If you ever take the behind the scenes tour on any ship, you will see the amount of space they have.

NCL tried to stop guests from taking food to their rooms, but backed off from that stupid idea due to massive protests from the guests.

They still have room service and they charge $7.95 for it with the exception of a few items that are still free.

We've been on 3 NCL cruises before, but it's been several years. We have one coming up this fall. I just read someone say that they have all Pepsi products, and no Coke. : (

Doesn't bother me not to be able to bring pop and water on the ship though. Although, this cruise if it's true about no Diet Coke available, I probably would be carrying some on, if it was still allowed. This may be my first pop-less cruise. I'll just buy the bottled water on the ship to keep in the room. Water is better for me anyway... pop is pretty much poison... but I love my Diet Coke anyway! : )

Have you checked the price NCL charges for their bottled water?? It is outrageous !!!!

NCL does only have Pepsi products, so you will not be able to find Coke products on NCL ships unless it is smuggled on.

Have you checked the price NCL charges for their bottled water?? It is outrageous !!!!

NCL does only have Pepsi products, so you will not be able to find Coke products on NCL ships unless it is smuggled on.

The crew members get off in ports and head to the local grocery stores to get items they can't get on board, I would think a few of them are picking up Coke products or other favorite drinks. Will they be allowed to bring aboard???

Yes and no. The chemical reaction that adjusts the ph also hardens the water and dissolves some calcium into it. Which is what I meant by adding some minerals back in. In particular calcium so at that point it is no longer distilled. So it does adjust the ph, via a chemical reaction.

One of the features of desalinated water, the same with distilled water that you might buy at home is that it less tasty and less thirst satisfying.

This references a paper on the subject and why I referred to it as adding minerals

https://s3.amazonaws.com/suncam/npdocs/118.pdf

Thanks, I found that article really interesting! My reading of it is that the calcium carbonite filters would add calcium to the water, but I'm not sure NCL is concerned about adding magnesium or other minerals to the "dead" water for agricultural or human health factors. My understanding is that they pressurize the sea water to lower the boiling point for the distillation process and then run the water through the calcium carbonite filters. That's a pretty simple system on the surface of it.

I'm still not understanding the link between drinking ship's water and swelling feet. Enough people have stated it that I believe it happens. But the process of desalinization removes sodium from the water, and I don't think the amount of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is enough to raise it to levels that would affect people like it does (I can't find an easy to understand chart that shows the sodium levels added when .5ppm of sodium hypochlorite is added). So we have two true things that are in opposition to each other. I'm sure there's an explanation. Maybe it's the slight diuretic effect of desalinated water and not adjusting for that effect by consuming more of it that is the problem.

Drink beer, not water may be the solution.

With all the articles written about banning carry-on water/soda

along with your emails' date=' calls, comments on all NCL's social media sites,

this thread, you would think NCL would respond, comment, something.

If they thought about customer satisfaction, wouldn't they have by now?

This does not project a good image on their part.

NCL if you are reading this remember -

Customers will remember this, they will remember [i']bad[/i] service even more.

Corporate communications must be consistent. If they responded, they would only repeat the current policy. Many people would be outraged by that. It is seen as aggressive. So the best course of action for NCL is to NOT communicate in public forums, etc. until there is an actual change or clarification.

Not trying to be funny... Sounds the same as maintaining my pool water.

I'm curious if someone will bring back a bottle of ship water and have it tested. Most places (universities, commercial water businesses, etc) offer free water testing. If so, please share your findings.

It is exactly like maintaining your pool water, except that pool water is harder to maintain; you have all the minerals left behind as the water evaporates, so it gets harder and harder to maintain pH and chlorine levels. In NCL's case, the desalinated water is "dead" without any minerals and at a slightly acidic pH. It is always the same. They know exactly how much liquid chlorine and how many calcium carbonite filters to pass it through to sanitize it and protect the pipes.

Bringing back the water won't work. The objectionable chlorine is gone quickly, within a few hours. That's why leaving a glass of water out for 24 hours is about the same in terms of chlorine taste as running it through a filter. You have to draw the water and test it within an hour or so.

Maybe some pool water test strips? I don't think NCL will allow you to bring your little 1 ounce bottles of test liquids as you may be smuggling drinking water to sell on the NCL Passengers Black Market.

I'm absolutely blaming NCL for taking away my CHOICE!

I choose not to drink tap water with chlorine (look up the health hazards)

I choose not to drink juice that has been reconstituted and is full of chemicals

And as a Gator who bleeds orange and blue, I forgive you for supporting Georgia. Chomp, chomp! :)

They aren't taking away your choose. YOU are choosing to be picky.

Tap water is perfectly fine to drink. Juice is perfectly fine to drink as well. You are choosing to not consume them, that's on you, not NCL.

Go dawgs!

It is exactly like maintaining your pool water, except that pool water is harder to maintain; you have all the minerals left behind as the water evaporates, so it gets harder and harder to maintain pH and chlorine levels. In NCL's case, the desalinated water is "dead" without any minerals and at a slightly acidic pH. It is always the same. They know exactly how much liquid chlorine and how many calcium carbonite filters to pass it through to sanitize it and protect the pipes.

Bringing back the water won't work. The objectionable chlorine is gone quickly, within a few hours. That's why leaving a glass of water out for 24 hours is about the same in terms of chlorine taste as running it through a filter. You have to draw the water and test it within an hour or so.

Maybe some pool water test strips? I don't think NCL will allow you to bring your little 1 ounce bottles of test liquids as you may be smuggling drinking water to sell on the NCL Passengers Black Market.

Im lucky to have a salt pool as its quite easy to maintain. I could attest to the fact that I put far less chemicals in it May-September than one would think.

Test strips for salt pools would be quite interesting, they are cheap and easy enough to use. I'll have to pack some in luggage 😄

Bottom line. This is yet another change that negatively affects their customer base.

31 cruises and I get no more respect from NCL than someone with 3 cruises that worked the points to their advantage. (Can't wait for my picture frame when I hit 500 points!)

A picture frame :O !!! Boy we should have cruised with NCL more since our last cruise with them 19 yrs ago ;)

They aren't taking away your choose. YOU are choosing to be picky.

Tap water is perfectly fine to drink. Juice is perfectly fine to drink as well. You are choosing to not consume them, that's on you, not NCL.

Go dawgs!

Please take some time to educate yourself before attacking someone else's health decisions.

Chlorine is an endocrine disruptor. It competes for the same receptors that are used by your body to take in iodine. This inhibits your body's thyroid hormone production resulting in hypothyroidism. Iodine is essential for your body, and is detected in every organ and tissue. There is increasing evidence that low iodine levels are related to many diseases, including cancer. For someone with thyroid issues, the last thing you need is chlorine reducing your thyroid function even more!

I think this was a terrible decision NCL made. Bummer. Guess I'll be finding a new favorite cruise line.

Thanks, I found that article really interesting! My reading of it is that the calcium carbonite filters would add calcium to the water, but I'm not sure NCL is concerned about adding magnesium or other minerals to the "dead" water for agricultural or human health factors. My understanding is that they pressurize the sea water to lower the boiling point for the distillation process and then run the water through the calcium carbonite filters. That's a pretty simple system on the surface of it.

I'm still not understanding the link between drinking ship's water and swelling feet. Enough people have stated it that I believe it happens. But the process of desalinization removes sodium from the water, and I don't think the amount of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is enough to raise it to levels that would affect people like it does (I can't find an easy to understand chart that shows the sodium levels added when .5ppm of sodium hypochlorite is added). So we have two true things that are in opposition to each other. I'm sure there's an explanation. Maybe it's the slight diuretic effect of desalinated water and not adjusting for that effect by consuming more of it that is the problem.

I have not been able to find any reference in any of the medical literature on the NIH database Grateful Med that would indicate that ship water would have that impact. A whole list of other things diet, weight, change in elevation, change in activity, etc. but not desalinated water.

I did find that one tends to drink more desalinated water because it is less thirst quenching. Also that it can result a shortage of electrolytes since it lacks minerals and thus tends to deplete the bodies supply.

Electrolyte depletion can cause water to be retained in the cells and cause cells to swell, however that would also show up with other symptoms such as tiredness and headaches, not just swelled feet.

Prefer Coke products and willing to purchase on board if possible. Would also purchase bottle water if it was a little cheaper. We are platinum on both Carnival and NCL but may have to be exclusive Carnival cruisers soon.

I've been researching this as well, as has my cardiologist (primarily because he is an avid cruiser as well so this is fun for him - go figure). He's working the medical literature, I'm looking at engineering stuff.

What we have found so far (would link but most is behind paywalls) is that correlation does not equal causation as far as swelling and ship's water...

1> Assuming systems are properly maintained there is no dietarily significant sodium in ships water no matter where you get it, tap, etc. So if you are swelling its not from that.

2> (This one came from the cardiologist, not sure where he got it but sounds reasonable). The sodium content of ship food is truly excessive, in part to compensate for the relatively flat water used in making it (and quite frankly because it makes cheaper food taste better). They also still use MSG. Expect sodium content of soups and stews to be as much as double that on land if not more.

2a> There is some literature that suggests sea air may contribute to sodium levels either through absorption or triggering increase drinking and appetite. No peer reviewed studies found.

3> There IS chlorine in the water when not used from a filtered source. That said medically speaking (again, he is a doctor), while folks have suggested chlorine can cause swelling he found nothing in the database to support this in terms of peer reviewed research so far.

4> Some people for medical reasons should avoid highly chlorinated water. These folks should try to drink water from filtered sources (basically, anything other than the bathroom taps) as the chlorine is mostly removed (again, assuming filters are properly maintained). Letting water aerate for a few hours can also remove chlorine but this may not be practical on a cruise ship.

It narrows down to, if you are swelling, the most likely causes are (in order):

A - The food

B - Changes in exercise and activity level (which also may increase water intake)

C - A medical condition exacerbated by shipboard life

D - Climate changes from personal norm

E (Maybe) - Chlorine intolerance or reaction to some other element.

I've been researching this as well, as has my cardiologist (primarily because he is an avid cruiser as well so this is fun for him - go figure). He's working the medical literature, I'm looking at engineering stuff.

What we have found so far (would link but most is behind paywalls) is that correlation does not equal causation as far as swelling and ship's water...

1> Assuming systems are properly maintained there is no dietarily significant sodium in ships water no matter where you get it, tap, etc. So if you are swelling its not from that.

2> (This one came from the cardiologist, not sure where he got it but sounds reasonable). The sodium content of ship food is truly excessive, in part to compensate for the relatively flat water used in making it (and quite frankly because it makes cheaper food taste better). They also still use MSG. Expect sodium content of soups and stews to be as much as double that on land if not more.

2a> There is some literature that suggests sea air may contribute to sodium levels either through absorption or triggering increase drinking and appetite. No peer reviewed studies found.

3> There IS chlorine in the water when not used from a filtered source. That said medically speaking (again, he is a doctor), while folks have suggested chlorine can cause swelling he found nothing in the database to support this in terms of peer reviewed research so far.

4> Some people for medical reasons should avoid highly chlorinated water. These folks should try to drink water from filtered sources (basically, anything other than the bathroom taps) as the chlorine is mostly removed (again, assuming filters are properly maintained). Letting water aerate for a few hours can also remove chlorine but this may not be practical on a cruise ship.

It narrows down to, if you are swelling, the most likely causes are (in order):

A - The food

B - Changes in exercise and activity level (which also may increase water intake)

C - A medical condition exacerbated by shipboard life

D - Climate changes from personal norm

E (Maybe) - Chlorine intolerance or reaction to some other element.

A Breta filter (active charcoal) equipped water bottle or pitcher should do as well in reducing chlorine as the filters they use for the water dispensers in the buffet.

Just checked on the NCL website and the purchase price for a 24 pack of Aquafina is $70 plus change (down from $79 plus last week).

However, if you don't sign in to NCL.com and then place the order as a "gift", the price drops to $59 plus change.

Regardless, the price is still outrageous, but perhaps NCL is drooping the prices bit-by-bit until they find an acceptable price point.

My prediction: If bookings have not decreased since the bad press this policy created, it will be set in stone. If NCL has decrease bookings from the negative newspaper articles and travel blogs then the policy will definitely change. We will know in about 10 days if this policy will remain. Its really amazing the small things affect people's travel plans. The hoopla this policy change created probably did more to curtail bookings than any mass promo offer NCL sent out to increase bookings. When a cruise line gets media for a new ship...bookings go up from the media attention. When a small mishap or negative publicity happens for any reason, bookings go down for that line. This policy change was in every paper I saw nationwide and the outrage it created (either real or staged). We will see. FDR will push things further until they blow up.

Edited by david_sobe