Live Review: Escape, July 2-9

pmk515

Food Republic lunch.

Started with sushi.

350ec511f9e02ebd78b35c248e526bc8.jpg

08f143c1ece50fa4a386fde75aad5a77.jpg

Both very good but the crab roll was particularly special. As candice commented, it's basically like getting all the meat out of two crab legs without putting in the effort. And you still get drawn butter to dip it into. Just superb.

Hey. Crashing your review again. We did the "Ultimate Adventure and Jost van Dyke" excursion today. It was a lot of fun. We got about 45 minutes at Jost van Dyke - enough time for a couple Painkillers. Then we completed a circumnavigtion of Tortola on a very fast and bumpy -but fun ride in a RIB (rigid inflatable boat). What a beautiful island!

If the "Escape to Jost van Dyke" tour is booked. This is a great second choice.

I tried several times to add a picture. Timed out every stinkin' time.

Don't forget Martini night at The Haven bar tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DRANKS!

We got two drinks each to try new things

And also because drinking is fun.

First, we got a toro toro for me with the spicy salt edge and a very good drink with ginger beer in it. She can chime in on the drinks name when she gets back on here.

d83c0335d9abe447a5c6f5fc1187feb2.jpg

Candice got a rum frozen drink of sorts. She didn't care for it but I thought it was good. Almost like a rum and coke slushy with hints of coconut.

I got a spritzy drink with that Italian liquor that I won't attempt to spell with pineapple and lemon juices. It wasn't for me but candice enjoyed it so we just switched our drinks. Easy enough.

1310ba114af2209d4e4e4b33661d2a54.jpg

We went back and forth on a few options to eat after the sushi but settled on the scallops to try next. They were good but nothing that made me go "wow" like the crab roll earlier. Even the crispy salmon roll was better.

The scallops weren't bad at all but I just thought they were too busy with a seemingly mountain of crispy breading on top of them.

a7804cf39623d49016e1410886179c38.jpg

Next up was the pork belly and scallions dumplings.

Go to Food Republic and order these. This is not a suggestion. This is a command. They were that good.

3dcbf0f9f4d2421e4b855b7cbcddfbb6.jpg

Then we got my 2nd favorite corn dish in my entire life (Best is the creamed corn at Opus 9 in Williamsburg, VA) -- anyway this corn on the cob on a stick with cojito cheese and some kind of butter infused with what I can only assume were an angel's happy tears was just superb. It was such a unique taste and I would highly recommend trying it.

Next to the corn are the beef antichuchos. Came with a delicious wet rub in them that you squeeze key lime over and the flavor is extraordinary! Hell of a way to end our lunch.

e1c599838653ce060085dfe214cbf53e.jpg

Moral of the story:. Everyone is right. Don't delay in coming here. We will be going back to try other things we wanted to try today but ran out of space! So very good

Service was excellent as well and even if you have TECHNO-FEAR the tablets are so easy to use that my grandfather could order what he wanted without a problem.

Hey. Crashing your review again. We did the "Ultimate Adventure and Jost van Dyke" excursion today. It was a lot of fun. We got about 45 minutes at Jost van Dyke - enough time for a couple Painkillers. Then we completed a circumnavigtion of Tortola on a very fast and bumpy -but fun ride in a RIB (rigid inflatable boat). What a beautiful island!

If the "Escape to Jost van Dyke" tour is booked. This is a great second choice.

I tried several times to add a picture. Timed out every stinkin' time.

Don't forget Martini night at The Haven bar tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad the weather held off for you guys! We will be down there -- Sylvia and Emir have been duly warned already.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Love those pictures and now I'm so hungry for Food Republic. You showed me three new items that I must try! We didn't discover FR until the 2nd to last day of our cruise. Then had to go back on the last day. As soon as we got home we booked our next ESCAPE;)

Quick note during dinner. We went down to Taste tonight to try out a MDR for one dinner. Server seems rushed to get it all done and a bit frazzled. But to be fair to him, he was double sat it seems so that's a rough spot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I got the beef welly and it was pretty good. The sauce was the standout.

Candice got the steak frites. Cooked just probably two mins over a true medium rare but seasoned very well and still quite tasty.

For apps she got the scallops (a big bowl of "meh") and I got the prosciutto salad. More "meh"-ness. Not bad just not anything special in our opinions.

Pictures:

3f7ad07b0b6d62c84842a0609ffcbdb2.jpg

78d256d95915d3819df1ef870e8b8534.jpg

ad7e7686a77cb3e9dd9feb74ba16c6a2.jpg

Mine was very good but the chocolate wasn't crisp like I was expecting. It was filled with mint though and was good.

Her cake was dry but the strawberry sauce made up for it.

243d2f5bbbc7dbbf0449a4a1ac3a2015.jpg

56e4cebccaea826e497c772e2bfd71b0.jpg

Thanks for the review. I will be on Escape in October. Being a big IPA drinker can you tell me what other IPA's are available in The District? Draft or Bottle. Thanks.
Had seen in another thread that on tap there were 3 available. Founders All Day IPA from Michigan, Stone IPA from California and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA from Delaware.

Got a Vibe day pass and it was so worth it.

I had some trouble getting drink service on the Haven Sundeck so I thought I'd try to get a day pass to Vibe. The first Haven concierge I asked about it told me there were only day passes available for port days. But thankfully I tried back later in the evening and the lady (I'm terrible with names sorry!) hooked me right up with no issue.

Had read on these boards that only weekly passes were sold on the Escape and that they sell out within the first 20-30 minutes. I will then assume that you were able to snag a day pass because you stayed in the Haven. Out of curiosity, what did they charge for the day pass? I believe it's 99 for the normal 7 day pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad this thread died! Did you do a full review somewhere I missed? Would love to get your thoughts. I said in less than a week and I am in the same age range. I'll be in a studio. Not sure how many specialty restaurants I will go to but will definitely go to Food Republic. I actually had sort of forgot about it. Is it open on embarkation day?