Royal Carribean vs. Princess

rockmich

Hello all-

I am a newbie here, but can appreciate all the valuable info I have read so far. We ( a family of four) are planning a cruise to Alaska next summer. In reading the cruise literature, I am having trouble deciding between RC and Princess. It seems like the lines are similiar as well as the land tour portions. I was hoping some veteran cruisers out there could offer some advice?

You are looking at a one way cruise??? Of your two choices both have pluses, choose what offers you the most. RCI goes to Seward - a gem of an area to tour, not to be missed, Princess goes to Whittier, good for glacier viewings, but few do them. Princess has personal choice dining- a big plus in Alaska, go to College fjords, another don't miss. Princess has excellent ship naturalist's RCI none.

As for cruisetour, Princess most often only includes the Natural History tour in Denali Park, a complete waste of time, similar to seeing Disneyland from the Parking lot. :( RCI has some nasty 3 day cruisetour add ons. Definately not worth the money since you have no time to see anything. I spoke to several in Talkeetna- they recognized me from the ship. They were all done with their interior Alaska touring, I was just starting. All claimed they didn't see anything in Denlai Park, bus/train too long and boring. No wonder- all they did was transit, passed through Seward and Anchorage without seeing a thing.

Time is necessary for Alaska travel and you doing your homework. Know Exactly what you are purchasing, and distances involved and what is available at the destination, a good amount of people do not.

There is also independent travel which is simple to arrange and superior for offering your priorities. :) Either way, the more you know the better. :)

Thanks, Budget Queen for the info. Yes, we are looking at a cruise/land tour combo with a Southbound cruise. I have the cruise line brochures and a couple of books, so far. I have been trying to research the best I can to make sure I know what we are getting in to. Thanks again-

There are cruisetours of differing lengths so you need to pick the one that suits your time and budget -- you will find pros and cons to cruisetours here on the boards but many positive reviews on both. I'd go for a tour of at least 5 nights, preferably 7 so you have time to do some exploring on your own (which you will have limited time for on the tour).

I would choose Princess over RCI simply because their ships sail in Glacier Bay on the southbound cruises and esp. if this may be your only trip to Alaksa, you shouldn't miss this!!! really it is spectacular!

I haven't seen as many reviews of the "Royal Celebrity tours" but I know that some folks at varying times this year have posted re cruisetours with Celebrity that they enjoyed.

Since you have already decided to do a cruisetour, you will find lots of folks happy to share their experiences on those as well!

I would choose Princess over RCI simply because their ships sail in Glacier Bay on the southbound cruises and esp. if this may be your only trip to Alaksa, you shouldn't miss this!!! really it is spectacular!

I agree with Caroline here - Glacier Bay is incredible and should not be missed (along with College Fiords).

I agree with BQ that Seward is better then Whittier but most people on cruise tours miss Seward - they get on the bus and are wisked away immediatley so if you pick RCCL over Princess because of Seward, make sure you actually get to see Seward. Whittier does have some good glacier cruises but if you do a cruise tour from Whittier, you will probably be wisked away quickly also.

My first Alaskan cruise was on RCCL and I was greatly disappointed. Newbies (like myself at the time) would have greatly benefited from having a naturalist onboard for lectures and their knowledge over the intercom during key wildlife times. I have cruised Alaska many times and will not pick a ship with out a naturalist - they are that important to me during an Alaskan cruise.

... agree with Coral re the naturalist. Have been on RCI and Princess to Alaska and in the naturalist department Princess wins by a landslide.. the one on Diamond this year was incredible. It just adds so much to your cruise experience esp. if it's your first Alaska cruise...

Archived