Which is better, Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

ryan8564

My wife and I are looking at going on a cruise in August and we are debating leaving New Orleans on Carnival (Dream), Galveston on Liberty of the seas (Royal Caribbean), or Galveston on Freedom(Carnival)

Just curious if you can offer your opinions, we have been on NCL several times.

Thank you for feedback

We've cruised on both Carnival and RCL. They both have their pluses and minuses. Trying to compare different cruise lines is a bit like trying to compare different automobiles. Just as there are those that prefer one brand of car over another, so too are there people that prefer one cruise line over another. Typically, on a 7 day Caribbean cruise, Carnival has 4 ports of call, but RCL only has three. RCL has better entertainment. Carnival has bigger cabins. Food is subjective. Regardless of which ship you're on, if you're served something you don't like, ask your waiter to bring you something else. As far as which cruise you should try next, pick whichever one best fits your schedule and your budget. If you choose Liberty of the Seas this time, then next time give the Dream or the Freedom a try. ;)

I've been on Carnival twice and Royal once. My next cruise is going to be Royal. For me, I like both lines. They both have their pros and cons, but it really boils down to the itnerary for me. I wouldn't stick to one line just because it's "RCL" or "CCL". I like Carnival also because they sail from more port of calls for short getaways. I did sail on the Carnival Breeze which is the sister of the Dream. It was a great cruise! Depending on where you are, Galveston is a pain. I would never cruise from there just due to my location. New Orleans is very attractive to me. I wish RCL would sail from there again..

If you have a itinerary with more sea days, I would prefer Carnival. When I sailed on the Royal in Alaska, sea days were really slow and not as "fun" as Carnival. I'm sure on Royal's larger ships there are more things to do, but just on the Radiance, it really lacked.

Food IMO was better on Carnival. They have more options on the buffet and I love Carnival's 24 hour pizza/ice cream. They have amazing pizza!! It's not on all ships but it's the best pizza at sea and better than some pizza I had in Italy.

If you're more of a "show & comedian" person, IMO Royal is better for that. Carnival's shows are boring and not very interesting to me. Royal had very good shows and the comedians were great! Carnival has better activities.

My next cruise is going to be Royal on the Adventure of the Seas from San Juan, PR. Why did I pick Royal over Carnival? The itnerary. Carnival had no sailings for the destinations I wanted to go. NCL either.

One thing to note, the cheaper you go, the more crazy people will be on the boat. If you feel like you don't want to cruise with crazy people, just go on a more $$$ cruise.

Either way, you will enjoy them both. My favourite ship is the Carnival Breeze, but my favourite cruise was the RCL Radiance OTS because of the itnerary, Alaska SB!!

But since you have more limited options, I would either sail the Liberty or the Dream. It just depends on the itnerary for me & NOLA is better for me (but may not be for you).

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Listen to Paul, he knows!

Yes, he knows a lot, I value his postings and many times is the voice of reason. However, as Husky says, no one can tell someone what they will love.;) BTW, I've had people tell me I would love something and I didn't.

Don't get upset, I was just curious because you said "Good. Definitely good. Go with Liberty. You'll love it" Now you say that it is "likely" that they will love it. My point was that none of us can tell someone else what they will love.:)

Yes, Aquahound don't get so ruffled. Besides, even though you posted the "love it", my post was more of a general question. Sorry you felt put upon and then come back with a seemingly terse reply.

Yes, Aquahound don't get so ruffled. Besides, even though you posted the "love it", my post was more of a general question. Sorry you felt put upon and then come back with a seemingly terse reply.

You're right. Sorry if I took it out of context. The boards have been contentious lately and I think I lumped yours in with the true instigators. Sorry. Friends? :o

Let's face it, were talking about two extreme mass-market cruise lines. They're not Celebrity, Princess, HAL, Cunard or Crystal. If your cruising world revolves around water slides and Guys Burgers, or floating shopping malls / amusement parks, you could also flip a coin. Or, do your own homework; there are many reviews here! :cool:

You're right. Sorry if I took it out of context. The boards have been contentious lately and I think I lumped yours in with the true instigators. Sorry. Friends? :o

Friends for sure!!! No harm, no foul.:)

Along with the contentiousness, there has been a lack of moderating which no one can seem to figure out.

Let's face it, were talking about two extreme mass-market cruise lines. They're not Celebrity, Princess, HAL, Cunard or Crystal. If your cruising world revolves around water slides and Guys Burgers, or floating shopping malls / amusement parks, you could also flip a coin. Or, do your own homework; there are many reviews here! :cool:

It's nice that there are so many options to choose from. It's definitely not a one-size fits all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[

Thank you

Liberty's photos and amenities seem to be a step up from the Dream

I have just heard several bad things about Carnival and just makes us nervous to book a cruise with them.

We enjoyed all of our previous cruises with NCL.

I just re-read your opening post and like that you specifically asked for opinions - and that's all you can really get - other people's opinions about what they like or don't like. From there you'll have to make your own decisions, as I imagine you planned to anyway.

I wanted to briefly give you my opinion :D of Carnival and RCCL as compared to NCL which is already familiar to you:

• The Liberty of the Seas is far and away the nicest ship with the most extensive array of recreational amenities of any of the ones you're looking at.
  • RCCL in general has much better entertainment options than Carnival and are on-par with the entertainment line-up you'd see on a NCL cruise. (The DreamWorks Experience is excellent and unmatched by anything other than Disney but not sure if this matters to you if you're not sailing with kids.)
  • Neither RCCL or Carnival will be able to compete with the variety and quality of specialty restaurants on NCL and personally, I find the food in general on NCL better than either of the other two as well.
  • Service, as I have experienced it, is best on NCL and worst on RCCL, with Carnival being kind of hit and miss.
  • Pricing, almost but not always, will be better on Carnival for any comparable itinerary and sailing date.

Based on the choices you've given, I'd be willing to pay a couple hundred bucks extra to sail the RCCL Liberty instead of the Carnival ships. If the price is the same - it's not even a question. Have a good time, whichever you decide!

Edited by ronandannette

[

I just re-read your opening post and like that you specifically asked for opinions - and that's all you can really get - other people's opinions about what they like or don't like.

I totally agree with you, what others like doesn't mean you will like it as well.:)

I totally agree with you, what others like doesn't mean you will like it as well.:)

That's 3 posts now on this thread without a single word on topic. Do you have anything of value to add to the OP's question? It would be so much more productive than trying to act as the thread police.

To the OP, anyone with any sense here knows that people are only giving their opinions. As I stated earlier, I too think you'll love the Liberty.

You can't just generically compare to lines without also including ship and itinerary. For example I am not big on Carnival but if it is there newest ship on an interesting itinerary I would pick it over the NCL Sky which is small and in need of a renovation.

I was on Carnival Dream a few weeks ago. That ship needs some major redecoration (don't even get me started on how hideous the decor is - it is so baaaaaad) and the ship needs a lot of repairs and the entertainment was totally lacking - half the time live music my husband tried to go to was cancelled. Then the cabin stewards urge you to only have one service per day. This would be fine if you could get ice for your cabin and fresh towels yourself, but you can't. It seems to me that if Carnival wishes to change the number of services to one, they need to provide an easy way for guests to get their own ice and have stewards leave a lot more towels. A hamper for used towels would also be helpful. I noticed the linens felt pilled and even the spa thermal suite felt dirty - the yellow tile in the saunarium had a haze of dirt on it. Yuck! Then there was the MDR with chandeliers that appeared to be made out of these plastic cups:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-2000p2156-colorware-22-oz-ruby-red-plastic-tumbler-24-case/2142000P2RD.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKEAjw2PK7BRDPz5nDh9GjoGcSJAAybcS3fjV1ragHJ_dffxbOrXbrizoDRm3pdFYBGdmgm43XJxoCORzw_wcB

Many passengers were commenting on the cheap and ugly light fixtures.

Honestly, having experienced this ship,

I would not sail that ship again.

Freedom- as mentioned before this is another ship designed by Joe Farcus (as was Dream - which was, I believe the last ship he decorated for the line.)

Liberty of the Seas is a newer feeling ship. I honestly prefer the way RCCL's cabins are designed including the bathrooms with the round glass shower enclosure. Btw, 6305 is a special cabin on this ship - decorated in a cow theme because it is behind the Ben & Jerry's cows on the promenade. Scroll down towards the bottom to read about this room:

http://www.******************.com/category/category/staterooms#.V32XnFexHzI

Liberty has flow riders, rock climbing, ice skating and more onboard. It kind of has the feel of a shopping mall inside - which is interesting compare to other cruise lines. The entertainment will be considerably better than on Carnival. There are more specialty restaurants as well. So yes, I'd say this is a more upscale experience than Carnival and IMO, based on activities and options, there is more to do on this ship than on the Carnival ships you mention.

You can't just generically compare to lines without also including ship and itinerary. For example I am not big on Carnival but if it is there newest ship on an interesting itinerary I would pick it over the NCL Sky which is small and in need of a renovation.

You sure can compare lines without regard to ship and itinerary. NCL has its own special format which s distinctly different from RCI.

Tend to agree with Lou!

Also, it depends on which Carnival ship compared to which RCCL ship.

We've been on over 20 RCI cruises and not once have we been asked what we do for a living.

I seem to get that question all the time, regardless of the line or ship! lol!!

I used to didn't like carnival after my first two tries, sticking with royal of disney, but after my January cruise on the conquest, I became a Carni-Convert!!! it was a blast! bigger stateroom and a much more fun atmosphere!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We booked the Carnival Dream because New Orleans is a lot closer than Galveston. We booked a Cloud 9 Spa room, not exactly sure what to expect with a spa room. Anybody ever stayed in the Cloud 9 Spa Rooms?

The Cruise is in the middle of August, so we are expecting a lot fewer kids. Most schools should be back in session.

Thanks again