Western Caribbean Snorkeling

CozGurl

In Belize we've done a reef snorkel where they pick you up right from the ship. One we did had rum punch and a beach break after the snorkel time. We liked that one so much we did it again the next trip to Belize! Let's just say they were not stingy with the punch (or the rum in there!) In fact, I think the guys running the excursion must have thought DH and I hadn't had quite enough punch last time because they gave us a full bottle to take back on the ship with us!! Let's just say we had a very good time on that one!

Was it thru Carnival? We are wanting to do a snorkel excursion in Belize.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by ccdaniel2707

Roatan = fantastic snorkeling because reefs are close to shore and water is clear, very little current

Belize = great snorkeling from a boat, out around small cays, water is clear and lots of fish

Grand Cayman = great snorkeling and scuba diving, clear water, lots of fish, boat excursions can take you to a shallow reef or you can shore snorkel at some spots

Cozumel = great scuba diving but snorkeling is limited due to the fact all the gorgeous reefs are deeper than is good for snorkeling, there is some shore snorkeling or boat snorkeling on a few shallow reefs

MY recommendations:

BEST: If you really want to get in decent snorkeling, I would definitely do a catamaran excursion in Roatan. Easy on and off the boat and they will take you to some breathtaking reefs with fish.

Good: Belize - lots of options for boat snorkel excursions, or cave tube like you said

Good: Grand Cayman - lots of options for boat snorkel excursions or go to one of the shore snorkel sites for okay snorkeling

Okay: Cozumel - do a boat excursion for snorkeling. Snorkeling in Cozumel pales in comparison to the other destinations.

FYI - I am a scuba diver married to a scuba diving instructor, have been diving Cozumel and Roatan for 15+ years on vacations before we started cruising. I am becoming a snorkeler now as my DH has had some surgeries so we can't dive currently. Might go back to diving, but might now depending how he does.

(Just fyi, I avoid cruise line excursions; too crowded and expensive for my tastes. Can almost always find something better online, or worst case, when I get to a port. Never had a problem.)

In Cayman, highly recommend Stingray Sailing. They take a limited # of people, beautiful boat. You'll get to stingray city to swim with the stingrays before anyone else gets there (this is a very cool experience), then a few snorkel stops and a nice sail back. They provide a superior experience to the cruise line offerings. You can see more great reviews on trip advisor. If you email them to book, tell Michelle that Peg sent you. She knows me well. :)

We will be in Grand Cayman in a few months and this sounds exactly like what we want to do.

(Just fyi, I avoid cruise line excursions; too crowded and expensive for my tastes. Can almost always find something better online, or worst case, when I get to a port. Never had a problem.)

In Cayman, highly recommend Stingray Sailing. They take a limited # of people, beautiful boat. You'll get to stingray city to swim with the stingrays before anyone else gets there (this is a very cool experience), then a few snorkel stops and a nice sail back. They provide a superior experience to the cruise line offerings. You can see more great reviews on trip advisor. If you email them to book, tell Michelle that Peg sent you. She knows me well. :)

We will be in Grand Cayman in a few months and this sounds exactly like what we want to do.

Thanks for the help. We really like a boat snorkel. Maybe we'll do that in Coz and be more flexible for a beach thing in Roatan and Belize. Would we have time to cave tube AND snorkel somewhere?

A cave tubing tour usually lasts for 6 hours or so, so there's not enough time to also go snorkeling in Belize.

Most of the snorkel stops are not near the tender port either. Some snorkel tours used to leave directly from the ship, but I think Carnival stopped that a while back.

ABQrobin - do you have any recommendations for tour boats in Belize and Roatan? We go to Coz frequently so I've got that one covered.

We've decided to snorkel our way through this cruise instead of tubing.

Belize for me.....Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley (the pics didn't turn out as well as they should have because some jackwagon forgot to put the camera in underwater mode......it could have been me :o )

Here are a handful from that trip:

Hand feeding the tarpon

DSCF0141_zpsldq2yyne.jpg

Lionfish

DSCF0162_zps78ieoek1.jpg

Moray Eel

DSCF0171_zps4v1utrdh.jpg

Green Sea Turtle

DSCF0190_zpsbwosbphf.jpg

Shark (one of MANY)

DSCF0231_zpsco6oadbn.jpg

And rather than 50+ people that were on the ship excursions, we had four

We always try to avoid the excursions from the cruise line but the Tabyana Beach Break from Carnival is an exception. It's not very expensive and you can snorkel just a few yards from the beach. Best snorkeling we have ever done!

What they said.:D:D:D