Crusing with my teen granddaughter

Shirley707

I am trying to plan a cruise for my 18 year old granddaughter's high school graduation in May - July 2017 or December 2017. She is shy and gets along better with adults than peers; however, I would like some young people her own age on the cruise to assure the activities are age appropriate. She does not tolerate hot weather, so the Caribbean in the summer would be out of the question. No Disney and no Carnival. She enjoys good food and is a history buff. She does not enjoy beaches. Any ideas? Thanks!!

How about Alaska? The problem is finding age peers for her. At 18 and prefers adults you may have problems finding other 18 year olds that she would like to socialize with unless they are also traveling with their families.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Age 18 was an awkward age for my son on Holland America, too old for the kid's club and too young to drink. The singles meet up had a bunch of middle aged women. Don't think he ever found anyone his age, but he was happy with other adults and was an asset to our trivia team.

I am trying to plan a cruise for my 18 year old granddaughter's high school graduation in May - July 2017 or December 2017. She is shy and gets along better with adults than peers; however, I would like some young people her own age on the cruise to assure the activities are age appropriate. She does not tolerate hot weather, so the Caribbean in the summer would be out of the question. No Disney and no Carnival. She enjoys good food and is a history buff. She does not enjoy beaches. Any ideas? Thanks!!

How about Hawaii?? United has a non-stop from Chicago to Honolulu. Norwegian has the Pride of America doing weekly cruises from Oahu to Maui to the Big Island to Kauai and back to Oahu. Not the greatest ship, but it works as a moving hotel (unpack only once). Hawaii is far more than just beaches, and the temperature is usually fairly even all year. Just a thought...

Our 13-15 day Carnival cruises have had a comparable pax mix as our 13 day Princess cruises.

Princess does RT Hawaii from San Francisco and Los Angeles. So does Carnival out of Los Angeles. Both have had about 20 kids onboard of all ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How about an Alaska or Baltic cruise or Norway Fjords ? These do not have continual hot weather (Baltics can have warm days). May suit ? Celebrity is one line that my teens like (they spend time in the library and do not mix with other teens too much),

Edited by Jack Staff

My granddaughter's other grandparent took her to Paris for a week last summer. She absolutely loved it. Who says you have to cruise. Pick one or 2 cities that she would like to visit and do that.

DON

How about Alaska? The problem is finding age peers for her. At 18 and prefers adults you may have problems finding other 18 year olds that she would like to socialize with unless they are also traveling with their families.

I have taken both of my sons to Alaska for their high school graduations. They didn't have any trouble finding other kids their age. On Princess, they have a "meet and greet" for 18-20 year olds on the first night.

You would be better off going late June - July, since many schools do not get out until mid-June. There is a higher chance of other recent grads on the cruise if you wait until more schools are out.

For May - July 2017 she would probably very much enjoy a cruise to Europe on either Princess or Celebrity. :)