Question re dropping off bags at Brooklyn terminal

Katgoesonholiday

Hi all! Tomorrow we are embarking on our first Cunard cruise from Brooklyn, New York. We are currently staying in New Jersey and will be driving over to Brooklyn with our three sons and six suitcases.

Our plan is to drop the bags at the port before returning the rental car to Avis in Atlantic Ave. Then we will get a taxi back to the port.

My question is what is the earliest time we can drop off the bags? Our boarding time is 3pm so we thought we would go to the 9/11 Memorial Museum in the morning. Our options are to either park in lower Manhattan ($$$) and then drive to the port, or to drop off the bags and the car before going to the museum and then rely on public transport and taxis. But we can really only do that if there is a good chance we can drop off the suitcases around 10am - which may well be too early.

Any thoughts from resident experts?

Hi all! Tomorrow we are embarking on our first Cunard cruise from Brooklyn, New York. We are currently staying in New Jersey and will be driving over to Brooklyn with our three sons and six suitcases.

Our plan is to drop the bags at the port before returning the rental car to Avis in Atlantic Ave. Then we will get a taxi back to the port.

My question is what is the earliest time we can drop off the bags? Our boarding time is 3pm so we thought we would go to the 9/11 Memorial Museum in the morning. Our options are to either park in lower Manhattan ($$$) and then drive to the port, or to drop off the bags and the car before going to the museum and then rely on public transport and taxis. But we can really only do that if there is a good chance we can drop off the suitcases around 10am - which may well be too early.

Any thoughts from resident experts?

Currently onboard. Arriving 6am Wednesday

Passengers start arriving to board around 10am

I would guess anytime after that would work.

QM2 is in excellent shape.

Bon voyage.

You can arrive as early as you wish but may have problems with the crowd that are getting off. Very crowded.

They do not let you on till Noon Time.....Those in the Grills and Club Cabins....

The Baggage area will be very busy and not sure where onboarding baggage is stored. Never did that.....Always went onboard......

We have had friends boarding at 3PM get onboard as early as Noon.

Just A Thought...

Just to say, my experience has been (and I travel regularly across the Cunard fleet) No baggage will be taken from you (either in Southampton or Brooklyn) until 'all' incoming luggage has been completely offloaded from the ship.

As another poster has said, the kerb side area where one normally drops their luggage off with the porters will be extremely busy. You will have a job trying to find a porter to take your bags until they are satisfied that the ship is clear of all incoming bags.

Do make sure you see your luggage has been loaded onto a trolley ( by a shore side porter) before going away. Don't chance leaving it kerb side.

Hope this helps :)

I'm interested in this also, our check in is 3 as well.

I was thinking of dropping our bags off and getting lunch at a famous BBQ joint round the corner. Would it be possible to go for a bag drop at 1 and then return at 3?

Yes, anyone can check luggage in with the kerb side porters ( either Southampton or Brooklyn) as soon as they are ready to accept the embarking luggage. Guest check-in and boarding of the ship takes place once the guest has entered the Terminal building.

Yes it is possible to go away and come back later for your check-in, providing it's not later than 3/30pm, however, if you are like me you'll want to get onboard as soon as possible and enjoy an extra half day of this wonderful remastered ocean liner, settle down for lunch and then get ahead with unpacking luggage before enjoying the sail away evening. :)