Seward Disembarkation

PandasRUs

We are on a cruise tour where the cruise ends in Seward w/an overnight stay there before going on the land tour.

Our documents state our ship arrives in Seward at 6am. We are trying to figure out our day (without a boat trip). When I called for an 8:15am Exit Glacier tour, I was told that they were hearing that people were often not off the ship until about 10am. I have only been on 3 cruises, but have never had disembarkation be that late. Has anyone had experience with Seward? Is it really that late?

Thanks for the responses.

Since we are on a HAL tour after the cruise, I assume our luggage is taken care of and we can just get off as early as they allow.

My plan (hopefully) for the day was to visit Exit Glacier first. Then we could go back to town and spend the day walking around, have lunch, etc. We could then catch the shuttle to the Seward Windsong where we will be staying and check in. And lastly, go to Ididaride.

Since the Windsong seemed to be concerned about getting us on the 8:15 tour of Exit Glacier, we need to find another way to visit if we are to stay with my current plan. I know there is a shuttle that runs hourly and is $10. Are there taxis that go out there? If so, how would we get a taxi to return to town?

Thanks for the responses.

Since we are on a HAL tour after the cruise, I assume our luggage is taken care of and we can just get off as early as they allow.

My plan (hopefully) for the day was to visit Exit Glacier first. Then we could go back to town and spend the day walking around, have lunch, etc. We could then catch the shuttle to the Seward Windsong where we will be staying and check in. And lastly, go to Ididaride.

Since the Windsong seemed to be concerned about getting us on the 8:15 tour of Exit Glacier, we need to find another way to visit if we are to stay with my current plan. I know there is a shuttle that runs hourly and is $10. Are there taxis that go out there? If so, how would we get a taxi to return to town?

Is this just a free day? Exit Glacier Shutle starts their shuttles at 8:30a, but you need to book in advance. This is a popular time and usually not that available for walk ups.

Yes, easy to get a taxi, PJ's is the one I use.

You can be off the ship very early. they start unloading around 6a.

After Exit Glacier if you have some time in Seward do check out the Alaska Sea Life Center (like an aquarium for mammals and birds). It is very well done and entertaining watching the Otters, Seals and other critters. ASLC

Edited by Sequim88

DH loves museums, but isn't big on zoos or aquariums. But the Alaska Sea Life Center sounds interesting so I may be able to convince him to try it.

This is a totally free day. My understanding is our luggage is taken to the hotel for us and we just show up at the when we are ready (after check-in time of course).

I contacted PJs a while back but she is busy that day. She suggested the shuttle or Windsong tour of Exit Glacier. But she didn't indicate anything about other taxi services. Most of what I have read mentioned taxis in town so I was wondering it they would take us to the glacier. And I also read that cell service is poor or non-existent there so I was wondering about return trips. Doing a taxi would be a bit more flexible, it not too expensive.

This is the last day I have to plan for our trip coming up in 2 weeks.

The disadvantage to reserving a cab is that you won't know until you get there how much time you need. If it's a glorious day, you won't want to cut your trip short. Knowing that the shuttle leaves on the top of the hour, gives you some freedom with your time.

http://www.exitglaciershuttle.com/

PJ's gets the most press but there are other taxi companies in town. Look at the town web site under Business Directory to find the others.

Seavey's kennel is out towards Exit Glacier so you might want to combine both activities while you're out that way.