NCL Does Not "Nickle and Dime"

boatseller

Actually I think Carnival was the first to charge for specific items in the MDR, that was for the steak. NCL followed with that trend but Carnival started that one.

I think you missed the point of my post. I don't care who started which nickel and dime. Its everywhere. Tourists have targets on their backs and taken advantage of at most vacation resorts either at sea or on land.

I was responding to the OP with a clever list of exaggerated nickel and diming. As funny as the list was, some of the items were not true as I pointed out. NCL does upcharge in the MDR and does charge for onboard entertainment unlike other cruise lines.

The "past several years" comment causes me to question the validity of your statement since NCLH didn't go public until Jan 2013.

Find Norwegian Cruise Line (NCLH) IPO details including filing and offer dates,

... The company did not officially go public until Jan 18, 2013 when it offered ...

Last time I looked at the calendar it is 2016. If I had only looked at the last year I would have said last year, If I hada only looked at 16 and 15 I would have said last couple of years. Since I looked at more then two I used the term several. I made sure I covered the period when they had made the major changes in their gratuity policy. Specifically I went back to the 10k filing on 2/20/2013 and did all of the 10k and 10q filings to present. Note that the 2/20/2013 10k would have provided information for the period before they went public.

To me that is not 1 year, or a couple of years and would fit into the use of several, meaning more then a couple.

Be my guest and go back and review them yourself and see if you can find anything to indicate a change in their revenue recognition policy and a change in the standard use of the term gratuity as defined under US accounting practices that would indicate that they are keeping any of that money and running it though their revenue and expense numbers.

Edited by RDC1

Last time I looked at the calendar it is 2016. If I had only looked at the last year I would have said last year, If I hada only looked at 16 and 15 I would have said last couple of years. Since I looked at more then two I used the term several. I made sure I covered the period when they had made the major changes in their gratuity policy. Specifically I went back to the 10k filing on 2/20/2013 and did all of the 10k and 10q filings to present. Note that the 2/20/2013 10k would have provided information for the period before they went public.

To me that is not 1 year, or a couple of years and would fit into the use of several, meaning more then a couple.

Be my guest and go back and review them yourself and see if you can find anything to indicate a change in their revenue recognition policy and a change in the standard use of the term gratuity as defined under US accounting practices that would indicate that they are keeping any of that money and running it though their revenue and expense numbers.

I will pass on your advice to research the SEC filings. I have other sources that give me all the information I need to satisfy my questions.

BTW -- I still doubt your statements unless you can provide a link to support them. And I might add that three is not considered "several".

Edited by swedish weave

I will pass on your advice to research the SEC filings. I have other sources that give me all the information I need to satisfy my questions.

BTW -- I still doubt your statements unless you can provide a link to support them. And I might add that three is not considered "several".

Merriam Webster

several - more than two but not very many

Edited by richstowe

As the saying goes you cannot prove a negative. There is no link because they are not doing anything different then the other cruise lines, processing gratuities outside of their revenue and distributing them to employees.

I could provide a link to every 10k and 10q, but that is easily obtained on edgar.

The previous poster just listed the definition of several to show that you were incorrect on that as well.

Edited by RDC1

I doubt you'll be successful at trying to bring logic into the argument about the DSC or service fees like the 18%. There is simply no advantage for the corporation to have service fees or tips / gratuities from a tax standpoint. What isn't given to the employees has to be re-characterized as revenue and taxes paid. It's either a pass-through or it's not.

It does help the employees, as many of them do not have to pay income tax on tip income.