Carnival or NCL?

CozGurl

We like a more lively atmosphere than NCL Dawn offers so I would choose carnival. We did that cruise on the Dawn out of NOLA last December.

We were really disappointed in the comedy - it was pretty bad SNL type of skits versus a comedian. Their "activities" were mostly sell you stuff kind of seminars...lame. We jut felt like it was geared toward a more mellow crowd - the nightclub was dead at 9:30pm, even the white hot party just wasn't all that lively.

Our penthouse suite was nice on the aft and the butler was a nice touch.

I think I remember there is only one very small pool so that was packed most days.

They say it's freestyle cruising but if you don't make reservations for every dinner, you'll be stuck with the buffet or waiting for the MDR. You can't just decide what you want when you want it.

It depends on what you like about cruising. for us, its all about the action so Carnival is just more fun.

I have had the 'sidewalks' rolled up on a Carnival cruise at 9:30 pm and found much more lively crowds on my NCL cruises, so it all depends on the sailing and the guests that week.

I have also never waited for dinner at an MDR on Norwegian, so that is a moot point as well. I do Freestyle, won't make a reservation and don't dine at the specialty restaurants because of that. MDR meals are fine and tasty.

Since someone mentioned the word SUITE and BUTLER, that brings up an entirely new component of the "Carnival or NCL" discussion. Especially on their newer ships (Epic and beyond), suite guests will find that NCL shines, of course that does not take much when compared to Carnival! :eek:

On NCL you have your own suite restaurant - offering up a much nicer ambiance and level of service than any line's MDR. "The Haven" area, within which the suite restaurant resides, is a ship within a ship - a relaxing and well appointed, and less crowded oasis.

Butler service? It's a nice touch. Some will say "I don't need a butler" (etc..), which is what I thought up until we had our first sailing with one (on Celebrity).

The decision is less clear for non-suites, but for suites (assuming you're going to be laying out a few more $'s), NCL tops Carnival hands down.

Tom

I'm a little confused here...is this the Carnival board or the "let's compare cruiselines and cost of drink packages"?

This is "the Carnival board", but such a place would be infinitely less useful if it was limited to just discussions about Carnival. Since the OP's question involved Carnival, it seems an appropriate place for people to discuss their opinions/contrasts of the two lines.

Tom

This is "the Carnival board", but such a place would be infinitely less useful if it was limited to just discussions about Carnival. Since the OP's question involved Carnival, it seems an appropriate place for people to discuss their opinions/contrasts of the two lines.

Tom

Agreed.

We want to do a 7 day western Caribbean cruise. NCL has free drinking on basically the same cruise as Carnival. It would save us about $130 to do NCL plus would save us air money since we could drive to New Orleans and not to Miami.

I know nothing about NCL or the ship Norwegian Dawn.

Anyone have an opinion on which would be better?

Does Carnival ever include the "free booze" package on their cruises?

We were on NCL (2nd time) last year and I WILL NEVER GO ON ANOTHER NCL AGAIN! They seem to nickel and dime you for everything. Many people had the booze package so they only had a few waiters before a show taking drink orders. Less waiters, less "free' booze! I don't like freestyle seating because you really can't get seated anytime you want - coincidentally many other people want to eat then too and it's usually a long wait. Room service was not free (only coffee). There was a charge for everything. They confiscate your luggage if you bring a wine on board. I carried my one bottle on (1.5) and was charge a $30 corkage fee.

Carnival is great as is RCL, Celebrity and Princess BUT NOT NCL!

We were really disappointed in the comedy - it was pretty bad SNL type of skits versus a comedian. Their "activities" were mostly sell you stuff kind of seminars...lame. We jut felt like it was geared toward a more mellow crowd - the nightclub was dead at 9:30pm, even the white hot party just wasn't all that lively.

We sailed the Dawn two years ago and didn't do too many activities--we attended a liquor tasting in the shops, I went to "Deal or No Deal", we saw a towel animal folding seminar, we went to a talk hosted by some of the ship crew to learn more about the ship and we walked around and looked at art. We didn't go to the seminars for the shopping in port.

We did attend the shows every night in the theater, and enjoyed them. We saw "Band on the Run", the comedian (who was stand up), Second City (more like skits), the magician, the aerialists, and the Elements show. We also went to the adult Second City show as well as the marriage game show. We went to the White Hot Party and it was pretty busy. I wonder if the ambiance varies, depending on when you sail. We sailed the Dawn in August, when there were still a lot of kids/families, and that might have made things more lively.

I'm a little confused here...is this the Carnival board or the "let's compare cruiselines and cost of drink packages"?

THis topic is completely relevant to a Carnival board. I have never sailed NCL and am interested in the responses.