Venice Gondola ride

92ufgator

We will be in Venice next Wednesday - Friday before boarding the NCL Jade for an 8 day cruise. The #1 thing my 15 year old wants to do is a gondola ride in Venice. Should we prebook? I did a skip the line entrance fee to St. Marks and saw you could book a 30 minute ride for 100 euro. I hear that is fairly standard? Is it best to prebook as I know it will be crazy busy or should we just wing it?

Wait until you're there and get a better idea of what kind of gondola experience you want. You might choose a quiet ride thru a small canal in a residential area or you might prefer the busy Grand Canal to see well known sights.

There are official rates but there is some negotiation, esp if you go to an area that's not busy and the gondolier wants the business.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm

On my first trip to Venice I just assumed I would take a gondola ride, but once I was there it wasn't as interesting, with so much else to see and enjoy. 4 trips now and I still haven't.

No need to pre-book. You'll have plenty of opportunities to find an available gondolier. Pick the area that seems interesting to you and agree in advance on the route (side canals, Grand Canal, etc) and price.

I strongly disagree that you would want to skip this, especially if your child has their heart set on it. It is expensive, yes, and a bit of a cliche. But it's an experience you'll always remember. I've been twice (once a romantic ride with my wife on a side canal, and once a Grand Canal trip with family members), and really enjoyed it both times. The gondolier a couple years ago sang. The one a few years earlier talked about the history of some of the locations we were passing.

Overpriced? Yes. A unique experience? Yes. Something to do once in a lifetime? Yes :). And some of us, who are very savvy and experienced travelers even do it more then once...because it is fun and romantic. Normally, we suggest folks simply hire a gondola on the spot (when the time and weather are right) and enjoy. Doing it on a tour means paying too much and usually having to share an overcrowded gondola with 2 to 4 strangers. So we usually suggest stopping in a local shop. buying a nice bottle of Italian wine, having the cork pulled, asking for some plastic wine cups (common in Venice) and then hiring a gondola (negotiate price and time...but expect to pay about 90€ for 40-45 min). Then just share that gondola with your loved one(s) and as you glide through the canals...sip your wine and try to keep from cracking your face with a wide smile :).

Call me a true romantic....but DW and I have done just what we recommend..several times. Our favorite time for a gondola is early evening (when there is still some light) after the day trippers are gone, Venice is quieting down, and the madness is replaced with the romance (even with your children).

Hank

Do it once, the 15 year old will never forget the experience. However pick your location and especially the weather to do it, do not pre-book.

I agree with Hlitner in previous post, add to it as you want and negotiate where to go and price, if the gondolier is not busy you can do a deal. At some locations they are much busier and its a cliché tourist trap, eg by Rialto bridge or off St Marks square, walk a little to compare. We found a repair shop for the gondola's which was interesting to watch and then had a ride through small back canals emerging on the Grand canal, great.

We have friends who found the gondolier unfriendly and along the way proceeded to take a call on his mobile phone, not satisfactory and hardly romantic, he then suggested a tip at the end of the ride on top of agreed fare, which was not forthcoming.

The wine idea sounds great, and reminds me of summers punting on the river Cam, through Cambridge, my home City.

It may be a cliche but we did a gondola ride 5 years ago - it was my husband and 2 kids (15 and 19) at the time and we loved it. We did not prebook but rather walked away from St.Mark's square (a few blocks) and found a gondolier and asked how much -- he said it was 80 Euros for 45 minutes. I even remember his name -- Ricky. He was extremely nice and told us some of the history of the houses we were passing by in the back canal (Casanova's house was one) and then we went out onto the Grand Canal. I found it all rather fascinating -- in the back canals there were some mini traffic jams and it was interesting how they maneuvered the boats. As you go by the houses you'll see small boats behind iron gates like floating garages underneath the houses. It really is one of my favorite memories from our trip. It's just an entirely different perspective of the city -- it feels like you're really part of this amazing world.

We were in Venice in May. We had our hearts set on a Gondola ride but never got around to taking one as every time it worked into our schedule, the weather was bad. The problem with pre-booking is you may get a ride in bad weather. Wait until you get there and see. If the weather is good and it looks like you want to do it, do it. Also note that the some of the pre booking services charge per person, but in Venice the fee is per boat (same price for up to 6 people). This site gives the official fees: 80 euro for 40 minute ride before 7 PM. 100 euro after 7 PM.

http://www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp?Pag=43

It's a bit like the Blue Grotto in Capri. Yes it is expensive for what you get and a bit cliche, but if you know what you are getting in for, then it isn't a rip off.

Instead of a gondola, we took a 2 hour canal tour on a topa boat with vivi venezia. It was fantastic. If you're set on the fancy black boat, the gondola is the way to go, but the rides aren't very long and don't go very far. The topa tour is in a working boat, but it is a behind the scenes tour of all of Venice. So if being close to the water is what you crave, give it a look. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187870-d3187911-Reviews-Vivi_Venezia_Day_Tours-Venice_Veneto.html

If you want a cheap quick gondola ride just to see what it's like, you can take one of the half dozen traghetti that cross the canal at various points for two euro per person.

I am so doing this, cliche or not.

Can anyone direct me into the best route?

"best" depends on YOUR preference. As I posted above, it's a good idea to wait until you're in Venice and can determine what kind of gondola experience you want. You may prefer to be on the Grand Canal with lots of traffic and recognizable sites around you, or, you may prefer a small quiet residential canal. As you wander around the decision will be easier to make.

I am so doing this, cliche or not.

Can anyone direct me into the best route?

Do we tip the gondolier at the end of the trip?

No tip

Just give him the 80 e or 100e as you will agree to the price before you enter the gondola and you will pay when you get out

Seriously

Feel free to say grazie and ciao when you leave the gondola and take a great memory with you

Edited by luvtheships

I agree with Hank that it is overpriced but you have to do it at least once. :-) And as others have said, don't prebook--when you are ready, just find a station and gondolier that suits you and go!

I also agree that the best time is early evening--preferably just before sunset. Do not go around noon or early afternoon on a hot day or you will roast! If you go later, the worst of the afternoon heat is gone and the crowds are much less. The usual cost is €80 but it goes up to €100 I think after 8 pm. For summer time, the best time will be after 8 pm so I think it's worth the extra €20 for the early evening trip.

As for the ride and location, the gondoliers are stationed all along the Grand Canal and other locations, but I recommend avoiding either Piazzale Roma or near San Marco, and trying one of the stations nearer Ponte Rialto.

Edited by Terpnut