Gardens in Alaska in early August

RBAlbany

Trying to figure out excursions for a cruise during the first week of August. I have Jewel Gardens in Skagway, and Glacier Gardens in Juneau. How will the gardens be at that time? We are traveling Princess and would probably include Jewel in an official excursion. Glacier we may do on our own, tying it in with Mendenhall Glacier. Don't know if car rental or bus (or official excursion?) is best. Just me and my wife. I'm looking forward to the feedback. Thanks.

Going to Jewel later this August and expect it to be good; might want to look at their website and maybe email them about what to expect. We aren't going via a tour but have rented a Jeep so we can do more than just that.

In mid-September a few years ago, did a 'tour' that included picking your own ingredients from a small Skagway garden then the chef prepared it for our lunch. The garden is on the main street in Skagway; saw it again last August and it was still lovely.

That same September, did a ship's excursion that included (to the best of my recollection) Mendenhall, salmon place of some sort, and a garden. Again, that garden was lovely and my mom, in a wheelchair, was able to enjoy it too as she was the avid Garden Club person.

Hope all this helps you just a little bit!

We went to the Jewell Gardens in Skagway on our last cruise to Alaska. They were very pretty. Many interesting plants were in bloom. They're a small garden--so don't go in expecting Buchart Gardens. We also enjoyed watching the glass blowing going on. We did it as part of a hike to the Gold Rush Cemetary and Lower Reid Falls. We came back via Dyea Road, where there's a nice view from an overlook, and then a trail down to Yakutania Point and the bridge across the creek near the airport.