Inside state room - starboard side

beshears

I just read where someone said, if you want an inside room, to get the starboard side, as the room is larger.

If you know, other than asking for an inner state room, do we just as for the starboard side, or what? Since I'm not familiar with it, is it at one of the ends of the ship, or in the middle, etc.?

Sorry about my questions, as I have only heard this term, and would like to know more of where it is located on the ship.

shipcompass.jpg Starboard basically just means the right-hand side of the ship, when standing on the ship facing towards the front of the ship. If the ship was a car you'd call it the "passenger side". Edited by psikic

Insides are all the same, although some are turned sideways and are configured differently. In older ships the 3rd and 4th berth come down from the ceiling and stick out into the cabin. I will never book a cabin on a Fantasy class ship with bunks because I spent the whole cruise bumping my head on them. Too high to put a pillow to sit and watch TV.

To remember which is starboard and which is port, look at the number of letters in the word. "Port" is 4 letters and so is "left". Of course you have to be facing the front of the ship for that to work.

Adding on.....

Port is Even is Left. All gave four letters.

Starboard is Right is Odd. All have an odd number of letters.

Even and Odd refer to even and odd cabin numbers. Of course you have to figure out where the bow is. Two clues- the lower the cabin number the closer to the bow and, on public decks, look out a window as the ship should be moving forward.

I think the 'someone' was being funny.

Edited by SadieN

The majority of inside cabins are all the same size. There may be slight configuration differences, but that's about it. I think someone's pulling your leg. Or you're pulling ours. ;-)

I remember having an inside on SS Norway on one of my sailings on her. That cabin was bigger than some of the Jr. Suites I've stayed in on the newer ships...lol. Older ships had different size inside cabins. The newer ships all seem to similar.

Thank you "everyone" for all your info. This was another learning lesson for me about the ships.

Yes, (hopefully not) maybe someone was pulling my leg about the starboard side being a tad larger, but when I read it, I don't believe they were.

Someone mentioned the "inside" cabin doesn't make any difference in the size. For me, if I could get it a "tad" larger, I would go that route.

Thank you "everyone" for all your info. This was another learning lesson for me about the ships.

Yes, (hopefully not) maybe someone was pulling my leg about the starboard side being a tad larger, but when I read it, I don't believe they were.

Someone mentioned the "inside" cabin doesn't make any difference in the size. For me, if I could get it a "tad" larger, I would go that route.

If it was a tad larger... you can book on Carnival up charging you for it.

On Fantasy Class Ships, some PT ( Port Hole ) cabins are larger than other inside and oceanview cabins.

I always find it funny that M5 and M11 ( same for the Port side numbers just dont recall them off hand) are larger than an inside cabin, and most of the time they are cheaper as well. I have stayed in both on several Fantasy class ships, and they really are much larger.

Look for sideways cabins, usually by the elevators. Those seem a bit larger because they don't have the hallway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just read where someone said, if you want an inside room, to get the starboard side, as the room is larger.

If you know, other than asking for an inner state room, do we just as for the starboard side, or what? Since I'm not familiar with it, is it at one of the ends of the ship, or in the middle, etc.?

Sorry about my questions, as I have only heard this term, and would like to know more of where it is located on the ship.

Seems like a silly question from a poster with over 3000 posts on Cruise Critic in the last year or so. Have you even been on a ship?