Breeze or Dream solo?

slyone14

HI everyone!!!

I am going on a cruise the week of September 25th for my 36th birthday. I am debating on two cruises. Either the Breeze or Dream, both are 7 days. The breeze goes to Cozumel, Belize and Isla Routan. The breeze is newer has Guys and a few other options that Dream doesn't have. Galveston is far from Hobby AP, this I imagine would be expensive.

The dream is going to Cozumel, Mahogany Bay and Grand Cayman. Ive heard the Dream has a live band, a sports pub (big plus here) and goes out of a much better port. Does Dream have red frog pub?

Is there a ship that has better solo atmosphere where I can meet some people that are around my age to party at night with, maybe see some shows possibly or other activities with? This is my 6th Carnival cruise, so I am familiar with it. How big of a deal to everyone is not having guys and the other features?

Just really need advice from people that sailed both and what was there experience for solo and meeting people. I am very independent but have a very outgoing personality, so meeting people seems easy. But, Ive heard its a challenge on cruises usually cause people like to do their own thing. Ive never done this trip solo, but forced to this time. As far as the ports, ive been to Cozumel once and none of the others.

As far as cabins, for solo breeze a inside is $850 not including fees and tips which I will prepay, total cost should be around 200 more. Sadly not Spa cabins are available and I cannot afford a balcony.

For the Dream, its the same price, but they have a Inside Spa cabin left for $1020, which seems to be a great deal and I would take advantage of it. IS the extra cost worth it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just really confused on which to book. Ive been on Sensation, Victory, Paradise, Glory, Sunshine and Ecstasy. Thank you again.

I cruised on the Dream in 2014 and had a great time. Although the Dream does not have Guy's Burger Joint there is a hamburger buffet line that serves tasty burgers & fries. The Dream also has a non-branded Burrito Bar. The 2nd floor of the Dream's buffet serves pasta at lunch.

The ship does not have a Red Frog Pub.

I'm sorry, but I cannot answer all of your questions because I have not sailed on the Breeze yet. I hope this info helps slightly and others can give more insight.

After my 2014 cruise, I put together a review on my personal cruise blog with hundreds of pictures and shared it here. Here is a link if you are interested in viewing some pictures of the Dream's insides:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-dream-7day-bahamas-cruise-review-2014.html

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by thecruiserofships

I have sailed on the Breeze but not the Dream. Personally I would choose the Breeze because of the added benefits of Guy's, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Pub (with bar food, the pulled pork sliders are my favorite!), and Cucina del Capitano (which is $15 extra for dinner but has a free pasta bar at lunch time, including embarkation day).

I have only cruised solo and try to book a 4J cabin when possible. They are considered "interior with obstructed view" which isn't logical but that is Carnival's description! They are all the way forward and overlook the "secret" decks.

I don't think you'll have any problems meeting people; I am a piano bar enthusiast, I always make new cruise friends there :D

I have sailed on the Breeze but not the Dream. Personally I would choose the Breeze because of the added benefits of Guy's, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Pub (with bar food, the pulled pork sliders are my favorite!), and Cucina del Capitano (which is $15 extra for dinner but has a free pasta bar at lunch time, including embarkation day).

I have only cruised solo and try to book a 4J cabin when possible. They are considered "interior with obstructed view" which isn't logical but that is Carnival's description! They are all the way forward and overlook the "secret" decks.

I don't think you'll have any problems meeting people; I am a piano bar enthusiast, I always make new cruise friends there :D

Thank you for the reply. I know if I went Dream, I would miss Guys burgers and the Pub that's true. Sadly all the 4J cabins are sold out, so it would be either a interior or Ocean View.

My only concerns of the Breeze and maybe im over thinking it. The cost of transportation from Hobby AP to the port, heard its very expensive. Also not being able to use my drink package I always prepurchase till day two, would be a disappointment because that would be like 50 bucks extra, or so. I try to pre pay Everything minus some things. Some call me cheap or calls me Mr. Budgeter, lol

As far as the ports, which is a better. Cozumel, Belize and Routan Or Dreams Grand Cayman, Jamacia-the one other than Falmouth- and Cozumel.

Thank you again!

Love the Breeze!! Roatan is my favorite port. You can snorkel from the beach at Taybana beach and see soooooo many fish and corals without having to go out on a boat with lots of others and having to stay in a group. Either way, have a Blast!!

Thank you for the reply. I know if I went Dream, I would miss Guys burgers and the Pub that's true. Sadly all the 4J cabins are sold out, so it would be either a interior or Ocean View.

My only concerns of the Breeze and maybe im over thinking it. The cost of transportation from Hobby AP to the port, heard its very expensive. Also not being able to use my drink package I always prepurchase till day two, would be a disappointment because that would be like 50 bucks extra, or so. I try to pre pay Everything minus some things. Some call me cheap or calls me Mr. Budgeter, lol

As far as the ports, which is a better. Cozumel, Belize and Routan Or Dreams Grand Cayman, Jamacia-the one other than Falmouth- and Cozumel.

Thank you again!

The cost for Carnival's transfers from the airport to the pier and back are $37 per person each way. So you are looking at a total of $74 if you used Carnival's transfers. There are also private shuttle or car companies that can get you there as well. I think Galveston Express is $30 per person each way, so you'll save a little bit there.

There is the Cheers restriction out of Galveston, but last time we went, my friend and I just took our bottle of wine, and bought a few drinks that night, and ended up spending less than $50. You can always pre purchase on board credit through the fun shops as well if you want to pre pay for that one night.

As far as ports it depends on what you like to do. Roatan is easy if you want to do a beach day, since you can just walk right down to the free beach and relax or rent various equipment like snorkels or kayaks. Belize has a long tender ride, and there isn't much to do right at the pier. However, they have a lot of good shore excursions like Mayan Ruins, Cave Tubing, Snorkeling the second largest barrier reef in the world etc. Grand Cayman has 7 Mile beach which is a short cab ride away from the pier, and is a really nice beach. They also have a swim with giant stingrays excursion which is really fun if you like that kind of thing. I would recommend doing an excursion in Jamaica, even if it is just one that takes you to a beach. The locals can be really pushy, especially to a single guy traveling alone, so it's better to have a guided excursion. Dunn's River Falls is a lot of fun but is a long drive and can be physically demanding.

You can't really go wrong here. The Breeze is the better ship because of Guys, the ropes course, and the Red Frog Pub, but sailing out of New Orleans is a lot of fun. If you plan on coming in a day early, New Orleans is a great place to be.

Edited by It's a Ship!!!

I just wanted to thank everyone for there great advice and pointers. I ended up booking Carnival Breeze today Inside, because that's what my budget would allow, plus I got the Cheers program. Flying in the day before and staying at the Inn at the Waterpark-Galveston. They have a shuttle from the hotel to the cruise port. Now, I just need to book my transportation, thinking of doing Lyft or Uber, probably would be a cheap option.

Thank you again! Ready to go!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you again!

Without knowing what you like to do, it's hard to predict which port you would like the most, they all have great things to offer. However, I don't plan to visit any Jamaican port ever again, their taxes are ludicrous! I like Del Sol products, and at all of the other ports the t-shirts are a flat $25, but in Jamaica they charge 17% tax.

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to thank everyone for there great advice and pointers. I ended up booking Carnival Breeze today Inside, because that's what my budget would allow, plus I got the Cheers program. Flying in the day before and staying at the Inn at the Waterpark-Galveston. They have a shuttle from the hotel to the cruise port. Now, I just need to book my transportation, thinking of doing Lyft or Uber, probably would be a cheap option.

Thank you again! Ready to go!

You made the right choice. I was on the Dream last year and promised myself that I would NEVER make that mistake again. I was on the Breeze a few weeks ago and it was great. I am booked aboard the Breeze again Sept. 11th. 2016. I hope you have a great cruise!

I have done both ships, I did the Dream as a solo passenger. I prefer the Breeze , because it does have Guys Burger. The Dream is set up just a little different in some areas, and has a traffic jam sometimes in the Lido Marketplace . That was corrected on the Breeze. You will have fun as a solo traveler. They placed me for dinner at a table with other solo travelers so it was easy to meet people.. Have fun... If you ever need a cabin mate look me up.. Only if your not on America Most Wanted... Have Fun:eek:

You made the right choice. I was on the Dream last year and promised myself that I would NEVER make that mistake again. I was on the Breeze a few weeks ago and it was great. I am booked aboard the Breeze again Sept. 11th. 2016. I hope you have a great cruise!

Nice will also be cruising the Breeze on Sept. 11th! See you there! I cruised on the Breeze on May 15th and it was an awesome ship!

Edited by Manny13840

• 6 months later...
I have done both ships, I did the Dream as a solo passenger. I prefer the Breeze , because it does have Guys Burger. The Dream is set up just a little different in some areas, and has a traffic jam sometimes in the Lido Marketplace . That was corrected on the Breeze. You will have fun as a solo traveler. They placed me for dinner at a table with other solo travelers so it was easy to meet people.. Have fun... If you ever need a cabin mate look me up.. Only if your not on America Most Wanted... Have Fun:eek:

First time solo cruiser. Breeze, April 2, 2017....a little apprehensive. Any advice? Thanks

Is there a ship that has better solo atmosphere where I can meet some people that are around my age to party at night with, maybe see some shows possibly or other activities with?.

Yes take your Carnival goggles off and expand your​ horizons. The NCL Escape has solo cabins and the cost is probably around 1150. And it includes their drinks package. It's newer and larger than the two ships you're considering and has a dedicated solo lounge to meet people on a nightly basis. Check out their boards on CC as well as videos on YouTube. I have been on 30 cruises come this Sept and the Escape will be the first I have done 3 times.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Just an FYI, I know this is an old post but the previous poster brought it back. Since people will be reading this, and know this is old news too but in case people reading this have been away from CC for a while and don't know, I thought I would add that while the Dream was in dry dock last month she got all the upgrades like Guys Burgers, Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ, Alchemy bar, Red frog Rum Bar Blue Iguana Cantina, Blue Iguana Tequila bar, the sushi restaurant (can't remember the name of it) and probably more. The one thing didn't get but some ships have was the Red Frog Pub.

I have also sailed the Breeze and loved. Booking for next January.

I may be sailing solo for some of my future cruises and am looking forward to trying the solo cabins offered on the Newer NCL ships.

Edited by HeidiHo