cruise air

hayward

"Cruise Air" is what's generally called booking your air with your cruise line. Cruise line's generally have a higher price than you'd get separate from the cruise. And in many cases, they don't offer the most convenient of schedules. It's also a common misconception that by booking air with the cruise line, this means the ship waits if the plane is late. If the plane is full of people going to the ship, the ship will likely wait. If 2 people are on the plane, the cruise line will get you to the next port, which in many cases, is 2 days into the cruise. (I haven't seen it discussed about where you spend those 2 days. Do they get you to Jamica on Sunday to meet the ship on Tuesday, or do you sit in Ft Lauderdale until Tuesday, and fly to Jamaica LOL) With cruise air, you also don't know what flights or airlines you will be on until the last month or so before the cruise

Most reputable travel agents will be able to discuss different flight options that you can book outside of the cruise line. You will generally pay a lower amount, pick the flight times and airline you want, usually avoid extra connections that you might get with the cruise line, and you'll know what your schedule roughly is going to be. (I say roughly, because as I'm finding out with my current booking, the flights change quite often, so you may end up leaving an hour or 2 either way of what you thought).

The easiest way to book airfare with your cruise is to buy them together. This is usually also the most expensive. The cheapest way is usually to book your own airfare, but if you do that, you have to keep on top of your flights (schedule them to arrive early enough and depart late enough and make sure that they don't change).

I always purchase my own airfare and always have saved alot of money doing it this way. When sailing from Ft. Lauderdale, and most of the other ports, this is what I do. I would highly recommend you fly a day ahead of time in case there are any delay's with your airline. Also, don't book a flight home before 1 pm to be sure you give yourself enough time to get from the pier to the airport.

I think it is a good idea to differentiate between domestic air and international air. I booked my air through the cruise line and I am paying $879pp round trip Orlando-Rome. I haven't seen any air cheaper than that. Also, when you book your own air you are SOL if something happens with your flight. Some people like the peace of mind over saving $50. Most people that book their own air end up flying in the night before therefore requiring them to spend a night in a hotel(more $). You would have to take all of that into consideration.Some on this board talk of all the extra connections but, to be honest I don't see many posts of actual people with all of these connections. So who knows? I may not book my air though the cruise line for a domestic flight but, I would for international flight.

The easiest way to book airfare with your cruise is to buy them together. This is usually also the most expensive. The cheapest way is usually to book your own airfare.

From some areas it is the cheapest but from other areas it isn't. You just have to keep looking I know that I currently have 3 cruises booked. For only 1 of them has cruise air been more expensive than booking on my own. For my two cruises out of San Juan next spring, so far cruise air is running about $150 less than any decent flights I can get on my own, and that is with factoring in paying for custom air. The one I booked air on my own, the airfare is about $100 less than the cruiseline's but I still have to pay for transportation from Houston to Galveston and back which so far looks like it is going to run me at least $60.

Most people that book their own air end up flying in the night before therefore requiring them to spend a night in a hotel(more $). You would have to take all of that into consideration.

You should go in a day ahead no matter who you buy your air through. Remember that by buying through the cruise line, all they do is guarantee you will get to the ship somewhere, sometime. How fun is that? So, you end up paying extra to the cruise line for custom air arrangements, plus you still have the hotel stay either way. Not to mention spending day 1 of your cruise getting up bright an early to be at an airport 2 hours before an 8am flight, and going through all that hassle.

My inlaws just went on the Navigator a few weeks ago. Ship sails at 5, and they are still in Toronto at 10am. Board their flight, and find out they have a one hour delay. So, they land in Miami just after 2, and have to wait to find out that they are missing their luggage. So, they have to make the arrangements to get their luggage to Jamaica in a few days. They said they got to the ship by about 430. They didn't listen to my advice to go on Friday, since I've only been on 4 cruises, and they are cruise veterans after my sister in law went on one and knows everything LOL.

The one I booked air on my own, the airfare is about $100 less than the cruiseline's but I still have to pay for transportation from Houston to Galveston and back which so far looks like it is going to run me at least $60.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or if this has changed, but when we looked at taking the Grand out of Galveston, we were told cruise air doesn't include transfers from Houston, or other ports like Port Canaveral, where the airport isn't nearby.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or if this has changed, but when we looked at taking the Grand out of Galveston, we were told cruise air doesn't include transfers from Houston, or other ports like Port Canaveral, where the airport isn't nearby.

At least on RCI, their cruise air always includes transfers to the port. I know my transfers were included when I sailed out of Canaveral and flew into Orlando. When I booked the December cruise, I priced it with cruise air and it specifically stated that the transfers to and from Houston were included with the cruise air. It may be different on other lines but with RCI this is the case. I know RCI even includes transfers if they fly you into Seattle for a Vancouver cruise.

• 1 month later...

For the best price try to book as far out as possible. The cruise lines use to have airfare @ a reasonable price. Not now. Book your own online. Find out from the cruiselines when to get to your port of call by. MOST pots in Florida get there ( air port in florida) before noon. Don't book your return bfore 1pm

Bob

Archived