Buying a camera - I think I've narrowed it down

It's just what happens when you ask an enthusiast their opinion on what you should buy. Doesn't matter what the object is - Cameras, watches, dive gear, kitchen knives, etc...

Regarding your Canon A3100 - you should see notable improvements from nearly any modern camera over $200.

Why would anybody need to buy a new lens every year or so to get the most out of their DSLRs? I bought my Nikon 16-85 around 7 years ago and still does exactly what I need it to. Sure I could upgrade to the new 16-80 but I know it would gain me nothing (it might gain something for someone but definitely not me). Sure one can buy additional lens, maybe some primes and macro lenses but many DSLR owners just have no use for them.

I really appreciate you all sticking with me on this and sharing your opinions.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing about my Canon. ;)

I'm thinking that with the dslr I should have a decent camera and hopefully should become a better photographer with it. I'm hoping to have the lenses I need for most of what I want to do. Then, if I do decide to become more involved with photography, figure out how to afford additional lenses.

I really appreciate you all sticking with me on this and sharing your opinions.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing about my Canon. ;)

I'm thinking that with the dslr I should have a decent camera and hopefully should become a better photographer with it. I'm hoping to have the lenses I need for most of what I want to do. Then, if I do decide to become more involved with photography, figure out how to afford additional lenses.

If your going with a crop frame sensor from Canon, I'd suggest an 18-55 (or 85) and the 55-200. Then take it from their.

None of those are great lenses, but not bad for the $$$$. As your skill and interests grow you can upgrade your lenses.

The suggestion that you will buy a new lens every year or so isn't a replacement lens because the lens doesn't do a job anymore so much as in the first year or two getting better quality lenses than those that come in the kit and getting lenses more suited to your needs.

Probably a bit more on the Tele end, some IS, some wider Aperture some prime a macro.

My daughter got bit by the bug a few years ago

Started 18-55 and 50-200

Then

50 1.4

70-300 IS

100 Macro

28 2.0 (I think it's a 2.0 anyway)

300 L

I'm thinking that with the dslr I should have a decent camera and hopefully should become a better photographer with it.

If I look back on my favorite images, almost all of them could have been done with an entry-level camera. However, few of them could have been the same without the lens I chose. Point being: it's not necessarily about having a better camera, it's about the lens.

[Now that I've gotten into lit portraiture, the lens doesn't even matter, it's all about the light.]

My cruise isn't until next May, so I'll have some time to experiment and learn with whatever camera I end up with.

With that much lead time, you might consider a week's rental from a camera/lens rental site. That way you could experiment between a DSLR and a mirror-less camera. You may even find a bridge camera for rent as well.

It is also an economical source for that "big" lens to use on your cruise.