Transfering a cruise that has been booked on board.

While I know you can transfer a cruise that has been booked on board to another booking I have some questions about the OBC that you receive when the cruise is changed.

Example. I book a 15+ night cruise more than 6 months ahead, in a balcony, pay the deposit and receive the $250 OBC on my current cruise.

What happens if I then transfer the booked cruise to an inside on a 7 night cruise that if originally booked would only have been eligible for $25 OBC? (remembering that I have already spent the $250)

While I know you can transfer a cruise that has been booked on board to another booking I have some questions about the OBC that you receive when the cruise is changed.

Example. I book a 15+ night cruise more than 6 months ahead, in a balcony, pay the deposit and receive the $250 OBC on my current cruise.

What happens if I then transfer the booked cruise to an inside on a 7 night cruise that if originally booked would only have been eligible for $25 OBC? (remembering that I have already spent the $250)

Your $250 deposit gets transferred to the new cruise. OBC is not a factor since you took it immediately.

Your $250 deposit gets transferred to the new cruise. OBC is not a factor since you took it immediately.

Thanks. I was advised to do this by a future cruise consultant.

Book a longer cruise in a suite a long way out to maximise your OBC. Don't worry as even if you have no inclination to take that cruise because you can then just wait till a cruise you want comes up at the right price and transfer your booking to that one.

Thanks. I was advised to do this by a future cruise consultant.

Book a longer cruise in a suite a long way out to maximise your OBC. Don't worry as even if you have no inclination to take that cruise because you can then just wait till a cruise you want comes up at the right price and transfer your booking to that one.

Just be aware that if you cancel this cruise, there is no refund of deposit.

Just be aware that if you cancel this cruise, there is no refund of deposit.

Understand. But it is zero loss really because I have already spent the same amount in OBC

PLUS

I would never cancel a cruise straight out as I am sure that there will always be one to transfer to.

The OBC is really handy for the Aussies because we hardly ever get any from out TA's and the amount offered on RCL promos usually cant be combined with balcony discounts and the balcony discount is normally a higher value.

I have zero OBC for an upcoming 13 day Radiance cruise so will just book a random cruise as far out as possible, take the OBC on the current cruise and then change it to a last minute bargain out of Sydney when one comes up.

Edited by woodyren

... I have zero OBC for an upcoming 13 day Radiance cruise so will just book a random cruise as far out as possible, take the OBC on the current cruise and then change it to a last minute bargain out of Sydney when one comes up.

We did the same thing, except instead of booking one cruise with $500 OBC, we booked three cruises with $200 OBC each.

I have often wondered about this. I know friends who book every weekend during certain months in JS as soon as the dates open, a year or two out. They are D+ so enjoy the space and double points. Then, they cancell the dates they don't care for as time gets nearer and before final payment and I assume transfer the deposit to other cruises. I know they would not likely give up their deposits. Here is my rub, the cabins are no longer available to those of us who have schedules to deal with that are not known during those time frames. As an example, look at a Physician, depending on specialty, they have hospital call. Theses schedules are at the most 6-8 months out. We do find that some cabins open after final payment is due, cabins types we are looking for occasionally open up.

We do book some cabins ahead of time without a schedule but risk not being able to go based on the schedule.

So, do you think this process is a good practice to the other cruisers??

Edited by troykahack

I have often wondered about this. I know friends who book every weekend during certain months in JS as soon as the dates open, a year or two out. They are D+ so enjoy the space and double points. Then, they cancell the dates they don't care for as time gets nearer and before final payment and I assume transfer the deposit to other cruises. I know they would not likely give up their deposits. Here is my rub, the cabins are no longer available to those of us who have schedules to deal with that are not known during those time frames. As an example, look at a Physician, depending on specialty, they have hospital call. Theses schedules are at the most 6-8 months out. We do find that some cabins open after final payment is due, cabins types we are looking for occasionally open up.

We do book some cabins ahead of time without a schedule but risk not being able to go based on the schedule.

So, do you think this process is a good practice to the other cruisers??

I think as long as RCL will allow folks to cancel without penalty that it is a great policy.;)

Ok John where are you:)

I have done this twice now with no problem at all. My next attempt will be the suite on a transatlantic and then switch to a 7 night balcony. I switch pretty quickly after the cruise so I don't take up a cabin I have no intention of using.

This policy will change as more people take advantage of it.