Butler Stuff

Cruise-y

Butler service is an amenity for gracious living, No one need rack their brain for things for them to do; let that happen organically. Just be aware that they are available to you and they are willing and able to do whatever is needed to make your cruise better, even if, or especially if, that thing is unique to you.

I would enjoy the extra space but not the Butler service

We do not eat in the cabin do not drink coffee first thing in the morning so for us getting up & out of the cabin for breakfast is more like a way to get moving for the day

If I had breakfast in the cabin I would be there until lunch :D

I know people see value in a butler & room service I am not one of them

YMMV

The balconies in PH are not that much bigger just a bit longer than regular cabins unless you score one of the aft PH suites ;)

JMO

Our favorite Penthouse cabin 7131 does have a wider deck in addition to the longer deck. Our butler (Xavier) was most helpful setting up a private cocktail party in our cabin. He was helpful suggesting wine for our dinners. We did not find him obtrusive in any way. I do, however agree, that the PH cabins are roomier and that is why we like them, however, we could very well manage without a Butler.

Butler service is an amenity for gracious living, No one need rack their brain for things for them to do; let that happen organically. Just be aware that they are available to you and they are willing and able to do whatever is needed to make your cruise better, even if, or especially if, that thing is unique to you.

Excellent point

Well, for over 10 years, starting on Regent and then on Oceania we have had the privilege of having Pritam. He is more than a butler, he is a real friend. He was trained in London and really knows his job. He actually thinks for us. A few times we have not been booked on "his ship" and he still makes sure that the butler we are going to have knows what we like. Perfection!

When we are on another cruise line I take a list which is mostly what we do not want, and only a few requests, i.e. early room make up and no nightly appetizers. The list helps.

I personally love having a butler. If you don't want him to intrude, put the do not disturb sign no.

It is a habit one can develop! To know a butler is to love a butler!

Even though Pritam knows almost everything about us, I too can not get my head around the packing and unpacking thing!

:):)

Our first cruise in a PH -- we used the butler like zero.

Next -- a little more

Next a little more etc...

Last time on a 35 day cruise, we used our butler the most in our 10 O-cruises.

Some examples

1) We had a land tour where we had to be off the ship at 0400h. So we had a hot breakfast served at 0330h. They have a night butler for these early morning requests.

2) 35 day cruise -- extra specialty bookings with a butler are a snap.

3) Long day of excursions many of ours got back after 8pm. Tired want a good meal -- selectively can order something heavy or light off of Polo or Toscana and served in the room.

4) We were both sick with bad colds. Being able to select off any menu certainly was nice -- since we tried to to give our colds to fellow passengers. Note -- O's room service menu is not the best (burgers, pizza, sandwiches) not are fare for dinner.

5) We brought our own liquor on board. So our butler did a great job keeping the fridge stocked with mixers, cocktail onions and limes.

Well said, Paul. The butler can make your cruise more enjoyable IF you want him to. There is no law that says you have to use him, but he is there to make your cruise all you want it to be. I too enjoy eating at all hours of the day and night and the butler makes that happen. Having a party - the butler helps with set up and serving. Special requests - same. I too am a "do it myself" person but it's nice to let someone else serve...especially when it's their job.