Butler Stuff

Cruise-y

OK, I know this is a subject that has been discussed heavily in the past and many of you have been on this forum for a long time and have strong opinions. But the latest discussion I could find was over a year old and I'd like a fresh perspective.

Everyone's wants are totally different and I understand that. My reasons for wanting a PH are 1000% for the extra room and larger balcony. We live in a huge metropolitan area and have ready access to steak houses and French restaurants so honestly don't crave the ship's specialty dining. At any rate, I can make my own reservations as fast as I can ask somebody else to do it for me. After 30 years of grueling solo business travel, I have no burning desire to eat in my room. We are very ad hoc and happily adhere to no schedule (unless going on excursions of course). So, I definitely don't want to plan ahead of time when I'm going to have my coffee or breakfast the next day, or when I want my canapés and drinks delivered or even when I'm going to get up. We are very DIY, don't feel comfortable with somebody waiting on us and frankly aren't always dressed decently in our room. (Again, I totally realize this is a personal choice.) However, in short, I don't want or need a butler, but would like to have the extra space of a PH. I don't want to insult these highly-trained, wonderful individuals by ignoring them and I don't know if I'm paying a lot extra for something I'm really not using.

I know the responses are going to be "if you don't want him don't use him" but it's a bit like paying for air travel or an all-inclusive drink package that you don't use. It seems like such a waste. I'd rather have a cheaper "no butler" option. Does anyone agree with this or am I the only rogue here?

I believe that I could have written your post word for word, and possibly did, before taking my first Oceania Cruise.

All I can say is, give the Butler a chance, they can elevate your cruise to an entirely different level.

The key is in not thinking that you have to micromanage the butler.

Tell him how you want your vacation to go, and let him run with it.

It's like having an Oceania Ambassador, complete with an encyclopedic knowledge of how things are done and how to get things done on an Oceania ship, at your beck and call 24x7.

There are moments when it is so good that it seems surreal.

I believe that I could have written your post word for word, and possibly did, before taking my first Oceania Cruise.

All I can say is, give the Butler a chance, they can elevate your cruise to an entirely different level.

The key is in not thinking that you have to micromanage the butler.

Tell him how you want your vacation to go, and let him run with it.

It's like having an Oceania Ambassador, complete with an encyclopedic knowledge of how things are done and how to get things done on an Oceania ship, at your beck and call 24x7.

There are moments when it is so good that it seems surreal.

Perfectly stated!

We are new to the world of butlers (only twice) and felt similar before the first time.

They will be as obscure as you like but I bet they will surprise you with their value at some point.:)

At your very first meeting - on the day of embarkation - explain yourself and your modest needs politely - he will take notice.

But, for ways to manage your own space and time, try this:

Tell him exactly how you want your coffee tray - not what time, but what should be on it. Then at the time of your choosing each morning, page him. Tell him in advance that he doesn't need to respond verbally to your page - just bring the tray. Whether you are in bed, in the bathroom, in your bathrobe -- or whatever, your coffee service will arrive in a very few minutes.

Then you will begin to appreciate the subtle ways the Butler can enhance your cruise - enjoy!

I would enjoy the extra space but not the Butler service

We do not eat in the cabin do not drink coffee first thing in the morning so for us getting up & out of the cabin for breakfast is more like a way to get moving for the day

If I had breakfast in the cabin I would be there until lunch :D

I know people see value in a butler & room service I am not one of them

YMMV

The balconies in PH are not that much bigger just a bit longer than regular cabins unless you score one of the aft PH suites ;)

JMO

Edited by LHT28

I know people see value in a butler & room service I am not one of them

I appreciate your opinion Lynn, but I think that you might be looking at the "Butler Room Service" issue with a jaundiced eye.

Even if you aren't a breakfast in the room girl, there have been times when I have arrived back at the ship after a particularly long, or hot, or frustrating shore excursion when I would have settled for burgers in a paper sack if I just didn't have to dress up again and drag the body to a restaurant....

But I didn't have to-

We paged the Butler over a smart cocktail on the veranda and I emerged from the shower about 45 minutes later (a vision in terrycloth!) to find the wine chilling alongside a perfectly set table. China, crystal, silver, flowers, a snowy, starched tablecloth...the works

img_90621.jpg?w=470

For privacy sake, we typically start with a salad or something else chilled (the duck and watermelon salad is a huge favorite of ours!) and then page again when we are ready for the main course.

Oceania-Jaques-Filet-Mignon-Foie-Gras_thumb.jpg

Dessert is yet another exercise in leisure, and might be ordered 45 minutes after that.

Yes, Butler service definitely has its' merits.......

We're like most, we don't have one at home---but on vacation it's very nice. One thing I enjoy - we tell our Butler we enjoy breakfast around 8:00AM, he's to come in and set it up on the dining table. If the bedroom door is closed, just set it up and leave. Worked great!

Other things like dinner revs---yes we have great Steakhouses and other places to eat around here--but when I go on vacation I still want good places to eat. The Butler does a lot of things-making your vacation better. That's why we great a suite-for the extras.

Our first cruise in a PH -- we used the butler like zero.

Next -- a little more

Next a little more etc...

Last time on a 35 day cruise, we used our butler the most in our 10 O-cruises.

Some examples

1) We had a land tour where we had to be off the ship at 0400h. So we had a hot breakfast served at 0330h. They have a night butler for these early morning requests.

2) 35 day cruise -- extra specialty bookings with a butler are a snap.

3) Long day of excursions many of ours got back after 8pm. Tired want a good meal -- selectively can order something heavy or light off of Polo or Toscana and served in the room.

4) We were both sick with bad colds. Being able to select off any menu certainly was nice -- since we tried to to give our colds to fellow passengers. Note -- O's room service menu is not the best (burgers, pizza, sandwiches) not are fare for dinner.

5) We brought our own liquor on board. So our butler did a great job keeping the fridge stocked with mixers, cocktail onions and limes.

On my cruise in March we had 6 girls in 3 PH cabins in a row. We had 2 different Butlers and they were great fun with us. On St. Patricks day we all dressed in Bright green T shirts and ate in the Terrace outside.( we were dressed up every other night ) The 2 Butlers came to our cabins and walked us in Grand Style to dinner. Really a smashing time. The best thing about a Butler for me is someone bringing my latte to me before I have to get dressed. On our cruise on the Riviera in Oct. we are in a regular balcony cabin so DH will have to be the Butler. I hope.

To answer the original poster

, yes I agree,up to a point. You can always tell your assigned butler you don't require his/her services when you meet them, if that's the way you want to go. Your butler will be very good, though, so if you do change your mind he/she will be fab!

We have very few needs of a butler either.

OP suggested a lower price if one didn't want the to partake the 'option' of a butler.

I understand that question, however, the butlers are highly-trained (and I expect higher-paid) employees of the cruise line. To 'opt out' would mean these folks would not get their portion of your tips; therefore, if very many on a particular cruise 'opted out' the butler's income would be adversely impacted. And since we usually tip additional amounts above the included tips, it would mean an even greater impact to their income.

The butlers are professional, and they are proud of their work. In my opinion, even though we don't use them very much, I'm still willing to pay for their services for the few times we do use them during a typical cruise. (personal story - one evening I wasn't feeling well, so DH went alone to dinner - butler met him along the way, asked where I was, and when he learned I was staying in the room because I didn't feel well, he came to offer any help he could. THAT is professional, and caring service.)

OK, I know this is a subject that has been discussed heavily in the past and many of you have been on this forum for a long time and have strong opinions. But the latest discussion I could find was over a year old and I'd like a fresh perspective.

Everyone's wants are totally different and I understand that. My reasons for wanting a PH are 1000% for the extra room and larger balcony. We live in a huge metropolitan area and have ready access to steak houses and French restaurants so honestly don't crave the ship's specialty dining. At any rate, I can make my own reservations as fast as I can ask somebody else to do it for me. After 30 years of grueling solo business travel, I have no burning desire to eat in my room. We are very ad hoc and happily adhere to no schedule (unless going on excursions of course). So, I definitely don't want to plan ahead of time when I'm going to have my coffee or breakfast the next day, or when I want my canapés and drinks delivered or even when I'm going to get up. We are very DIY, don't feel comfortable with somebody waiting on us and frankly aren't always dressed decently in our room. (Again, I totally realize this is a personal choice.) However, in short, I don't want or need a butler, but would like to have the extra space of a PH. I don't want to insult these highly-trained, wonderful individuals by ignoring them and I don't know if I'm paying a lot extra for something I'm really not using.

I know the responses are going to be "if you don't want him don't use him" but it's a bit like paying for air travel or an all-inclusive drink package that you don't use. It seems like such a waste. I'd rather have a cheaper "no butler" option. Does anyone agree with this or am I the only rogue here?

I too spent a lot of days on the road and know what you mean...While I dont think the opt out idea would work I really understand... but its in reality chump-change in the big picture of the cruise. With an opt out for butlers.. next might be room stewards... We only need them once a week...how about a discount... No its gotta be a package deal for the whole ship to work..

Now as to how to use a butler...I feel like you He is an intrusion and a 5th wheel. I had on on Regent.... for a 36 day cruise.... He could not do anything better than I... and is seemed rather pretentious to "ring up" someone to bring me, spit-spot my morning coffee... and No way do I want to dine in my cabin...even it it were 3000 sq ft... Want to get out and meet folks....Thats to me a major enjoyment on a cruise not having some one serve you....just to make him go through his paces like a sheep dog. while looking on smugly.... Lastly I dont want some clown piping in all the time like a telemarketer to ask if I need something.. I guess I feel its a relic of feudal days and a class system that I would not embrace nor feel comfortable ordering the help around.. For every reason some like it I feel ill at ease and some measure of disdain having a servant at my beckon and whim... But that is me.. and "

"Thank you for the offer should I ever require your assistance I will let you know,, Thanks for the offer.. You have a great day .!"

How about" It's part of the package?"

Want a larger suite and no butler for a lower price? Try Viking

Want all inclusive drinks and tours? Try Regent

Want a cruise line where you can wear tackies anywhere you want. Try another line.

These cruise lines package themselves for large groups while attempting to establish a niche. To create an image, I don't know any that are totally ala carte.

All this reminds me of our recent China tour. Our CD was describing a wonderful dish we would be having and all the spices that went into the dish. A woman spoke up and said " Can I have the spices on the side, I don't like spicy". The CD gave her a how stupid are you look and replied " NO, I then recommend you have a different dish". Spicy chicken, without the spices on the side, was not an offering! The picked something different. Simple!

I recently cruised in a penthouse. I also had prepaid gratuities included in my package. Saw the charge and credit to the room. Never used the Butler. I guess he put the champagne in the room before we arrived. Never ordered coffee, drinks, food, etc. Had dinner reservation made long before the cruise. Not sure what I used him for? He got tipped since I saw the charge and payment on our room tab. Hubby took care of additional tips with cash...

We did know of some work my in-laws butler did in their huge suite. (The one that looks like a large apartment) I opened our champagne in their room the final night of the cruise. Put it in their fridge. I had one glass. After dinner we returned to their room to share the rest of the bottle. The butler had started cleaning up for the following day and dumped it down the drain!!! I found this more intrusive than useful. He apologized but why would he not notice the fizz while pouring it in the sink?

Also found my suitcases on the bed the last night. No problem. But they had been unzipped and opened with our bag of laundry in them. Fine, put them on the bed, but the nerve to unzip and open them? I do not understand or appreciate the help. I find it intrusive. I also found my belongings moved out of cubicles, and combined so the sheets for the next day could be stored for the changeover. If I had asked for help packing, fine. But I did not. This happened while at an early dinner... I just don't get it...

This isn't a Butler issue per se but if the consensus is that we all want to get into our cabins as early as possible on day one of each cruise, then all of this outrage about ANY sign that the staff is prepping for the next voyage needs to stop.

Make allowances, if only for the sake of the next occupant of your cabin :o

All good things must come to an end.

We did know of some work my in-laws butler did in their huge suite. (The one that looks like a large apartment) I opened our champagne in their room the final night of the cruise. Put it in their fridge. I had one glass. After dinner we returned to their room to share the rest of the bottle. The butler had started cleaning up for the following day and dumped it down the drain!!! I found this more intrusive than useful. He apologized but why would he not notice the fizz while pouring it in the sink?

weird

Also found my suitcases on the bed the last night. No problem. But they had been unzipped and opened with our bag of laundry in them. Fine, put them on the bed, but the nerve to unzip and open them? I do not understand or appreciate the help. I find it intrusive. I also found my belongings moved out of cubicles, and combined so the sheets for the next day could be stored for the changeover. If I had asked for help packing, fine. But I did not. This happened while at an early dinner... I just don't get it...

i had sheets put in closet only on princess and maybe Celebrity. they have to many rooms to do over.. AZ never does that. i try to dump stuff or move it a day before for me to get ready to pack.

as far as suitcases only saw it on a large ship and i put them back under the bed. by the time i go to dinner my bags are packed and out the door. if i ate early i would be calling for help as i can not drag them across to the door and keep door open.. as far as unzipped never happened..

i use my butler to help me pack as i am short and do not want to miss a thing that i left somewhere.

not just butler problem but room stewards

We have had the suitcases put on the bed after morning service :eek:

We usually start packing the day before so not a big deal but hey give me a chance

I empty most of the drawers & shelves & just leave things I need for the last day or two

I get annoyed when they take the bar soap & shampoo from the shower while we are at dinner on the last night

I like to shower before bed especially on the last night

I have no objection to them putting the new linens on the top shelf out of the way

One time they moved the bottle of wine from the fridge to the desk at evening turn down I was going to drink it after dinner anyway or I would dump it myself

I know they are short on time but hey do not put things in garbage BEFORE the last night

rant over

This has been an interesting and witty and fun thread and I thank everyone for their smart replies. I can see why some people love the butler system, for sure.

Personally, I sure don't want anyone to pack for me because I have too many embarrassing things to pack. I want to know RIGHT where that book is when I have to fish it out at the airport before the suitcase disappears. Like HawaiiDan, I can't get my head around the feudal thing and I don't like people bugging me for trivialities I can do myself. But that's just me. I get up when I want to and I walk down the hall to the concierge lounge for my coffee when I feel like it. On the way, maybe I step out on a deck and look at the sea or maybe I take a couple jogs around the track for some exercise. Maybe I walk the loop to see the 360 degree entrance to the port. Maybe I get a pastry and maybe not; I'll decide when I get there and look at them. I don't need anyone to deliver lukewarm coffee to my room while I sit and wait.

To each his own. Totally. Which is why I probably won't be doing a PH on O.

not just butler problem but room stewards

We have had the suitcases put on the bed after morning service :eek:

We usually start packing the day before so not a big deal but hey give me a chance

I empty most of the drawers & shelves & just leave things I need for the last day or two

I get annoyed when they take the bar soap & shampoo from the shower while we are at dinner on the last night

I like to shower before bed especially on the last night

I have no objection to them putting the new linens on the top shelf out of the way

One time they moved the bottle of wine from the fridge to the desk at evening turn down I was going to drink it after dinner anyway or I would dump it myself

I know they are short on time but hey do not put things in garbage BEFORE the last night

rant over

Interesting. We are disembarking nautica in a few hours. They do not do that in suites. Nothing taken away or thrown away. We have stayed on deck 4 in the past and maybe it happened in other than suites but I don't recall

This has been an interesting and witty and fun thread and I thank everyone for their smart replies. I can see why some people love the butler system, for sure.

Personally, I sure don't want anyone to pack for me because I have too many embarrassing things to pack. I want to know RIGHT where that book is when I have to fish it out at the airport before the suitcase disappears. Like HawaiiDan, I can't get my head around the feudal thing and I don't like people bugging me for trivialities I can do myself. But that's just me. I get up when I want to and I walk down the hall to the concierge lounge for my coffee when I feel like it. On the way, maybe I step out on a deck and look at the sea or maybe I take a couple jogs around the track for some exercise. Maybe I walk the loop to see the 360 degree entrance to the port. Maybe I get a pastry and maybe not; I'll decide when I get there and look at them. I don't need anyone to deliver lukewarm coffee to my room while I sit and wait.

To each his own. Totally. Which is why I probably won't be doing a PH on O.

You can still do all that even if you have a butler. They don't tell you what to do.

Interesting. We are disembarking nautica in a few hours. They do not do that in suites. Nothing taken away or thrown away. We have stayed on deck 4 in the past and maybe it happened in other than suites but I don't recall

It may just be the housekeeping team in our section

we have not stayed in a suite so cannot comment

This has happened on several cruises not all but in a A-C cat cabin

just the luck of the draw maybe :rolleyes: