Princess Wine Packages

Palms2Pines2Sea

Wondering about the availability of the "Silver Tier" and "Gold Tier" wine packages currently.....

I think I recall that they were often available on longer voyages, and were frequently offered up by service staff on the first day or two. But I don't read much about them in more recent posts. Have they gone away?

On this subject, the Princess "help desk" offers no help at all!

Many thanks for your replies.

Palms

Wondering about the availability of the "Silver Tier" and "Gold Tier" wine packages currently.....

I think I recall that they were often available on longer voyages, and were frequently offered up by service staff on the first day or two. But I don't read much about them in more recent posts. Have they gone away?

Palms

Was able to purchase one on a 21 day med cruise on the Royal in May. Had to ask at dinner the first night as no one was selling it out on the decks.

Had one issue that may be unique to that cruise. While we booked as a 21, princess ran it as recurring 7 days since passengers got on and off at multiple ports. After week one the accounting system seemed to lose my card and I would get charged each time. Would go to passenger services and have to get it reversed.

We came off the Royal last Saturday in Athens after a 7 day cruise. We were offered the silver or gold wine package as we sat down in horizon court on day one. We took the gold at $336 which gave us 12 wines up to $45. It included some decent wines.

So 7 day cruises do offer the wine package?

Sometimes. Except when they don't.

Or maybe once in a blue moon? ;)

Few passengers post on CC but I only recall one other post when the wine package was available on a 7 day cruise. Each time I've asked about purchasing it on a 7 day cruise the answer has always been "no" on Princess but "yes" on RCCL.

OP...I haven't read about the wine packages being eliminated & plan to purchase one early next year on a 2 week cruise.

We came off the Royal last Saturday in Athens after a 7 day cruise. We were offered the silver or gold wine package as we sat down in horizon court on day one. We took the gold at $336 which gave us 12 wines up to $45. It included some decent wines.

Is that 12 glasses or 12 bottles?

Is that 12 glasses or 12 bottles?

Those would be awfully expensive glasses of wine. It is 12 bottles at $28 a bottle which allows you to purchase bottles up to $45 value. If you buy a more expensive bottle you pay the difference.

Does anyone have a copy of the latest wine list to help in deciding whether to go for the Silver or Gold packages?

This Excel spreadsheet created by 'steelers36' shows the MDR wine list that appears to be the same as during my April cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=372694&d=1452007348

He also researched the complete cost for purchasing the wine on the ship (including 15% tip) and from Total Wine (including $15 corkage & tax) in FL.

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit

Edited by Astro Flyer

Excellent. Thanks so much.

You're welcome & we usually have sufficient complimentary OBC to pay for a silver 12 bottle wine package.

By paying $28/bottle (plus 15% tip) that gives us the opportunity to try more expensive wines costing up to $45. I've discovered some new wines that we sometimes will have at home after enjoying them by having a wine package.

I've tried many of the wines available with a gold package but for $8/bottle more we get to taste more expensive bottles of wine. :)

In the past we have always used the wine package for wines with dinner. Is it possible to order a bottle from Vines on the package to share with friends? Also is it possible to buy full bottles of wine from the bars?

In the past we have always used the wine package for wines with dinner. Is it possible to order a bottle from Vines on the package to share with friends? Also is it possible to buy full bottles of wine from the bars?

It's my understanding that they are fairly strict about keeping this offer limited to dining venues. I'm not sure where Vines fits in to that equation, but I believe that bars are a no go for the taking of wine package bottles.

I suspect that AstroFlyer will have a clearer response!

Edited by Palms2Pines2Sea

We were on the Star last year for 7 days in Alaska. We purchased the package and were able to use in Vines. I work at a winery, get 50% off, still purchase the package. Not worth paying my cost, the 15.00 corkage and having to bring the wine. We do bring our 2bottles onboard!

It's my understanding that they are fairly strict about keeping this offer limited to dining venues. I'm not sure where Vines fits in to that equation, but I believe that bars are a no go for the taking of wine package bottles.

I suspect that AstroFlyer will have a clearer response!

Here what's stated on the wine package's flyer: "The package will be honored in the dining room, Horizon Court, and alternative restaurants"

My wine package card has punches from using it but I can see that it states "all dining locations" and that it's not valid at "bars & room service".

I know that the AIBP is usable at Vines and is available on shorter cruises of 7 days or less. If the "package" that 'madrick' purchased was the "wine" package and not the "all-inclusive beverage" package, then it's another example of inconsistent application of Princess' policy by using the wine package card at Vines which is a bar. It's nothing that I'd count on happening but maybe you'll get lucky & have a crewmember "bend" the rules and be able to use the wine package card at Vines. ;)

Having the wine card available on a 7 day cruise like 'madrick' can happen because there's nothing in writing saying it's only available on 10 day or longer cruises. However the wine card states in writing that it's only in restaurants or the buffet but not from bars or room service. Vines isn't a restaurant but is a bar that has some free snacks available as does Bellini's & Ocean Terrace Seafood which have food for a fee on the Royal-class ships.

It's possible to get a bottle of wine from a dining room & to take it anywhere on the ship to drink it because it was purchased from Princess. I've read posts saying that when having remaining wine package punches they'd get that wine to either take home or to give to a crewmember. We've never had had any unused bottles but if we did would do like those passengers.

It'd be great if the wine package was always available on 7 day cruises which is something that I advocate. :D

We were on the Star last year for 7 days in Alaska. We purchased the package and were able to use in Vines. I work at a winery, get 50% off, still purchase the package. Not worth paying my cost, the 15.00 corkage and having to bring the wine. We do bring our 2bottles onboard!
Edited by Astro Flyer

We have used it at Crooners, they had to go get the bottle for us and it was purchased through one of the dinning rooms for us. They can do it if they want to. Crooners told me they can't sell me a bottle through the package. Vines has done the same for us.

We have used it at Crooners, they had to go get the bottle for us and it was purchased through one of the dinning rooms for us. They can do it if they want to. Crooners told me they can't sell me a bottle through the package. Vines has done the same for us.

Thanks...good to know that's a possible workaround that some servers will do for passengers. :)

As I recall, Vines has some wines that are not available on the dining room's wine list...were you able to order wines from the Vines' wine list?

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks...good to know that's a possible workaround that some servers will do for passengers. :)

As I recall, Vines has some wines that are not available on the dining room's wine list...were you able to order wines from the Vines' wine list?

Sorry can't remember which list we ordered from.

It's nice to see that the packages are the same price from what we paid on recent cruises :eek: Nice :)

If it helps, this is what the wine package click-card looked like from the past few packages we purchased.

attachment.php?attachmentid=388236&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1466278370

Hmmm, the pic doesn't seem to show well, so I added an attached pic. Hope this helps :)

1190766878_winepackage.jpg.2d65705679b6c840f7c774c59b6672bc.jpg

Edited by luv2cruisin

Here what's stated on the wine package's flyer: "The package will be honored in the dining room, Horizon Court, and alternative restaurants"

It's possible to get a bottle of wine from a dining room & to take it anywhere on the ship to drink it because it was purchased from Princess. I've read posts saying that when having remaining wine package punches they'd get that wine to either take home or to give to a crewmember. We've never had had any unused bottles but if we did would do like those passengers. :D

I frequent Vines every afternoon after 4pm. Because the servers there get to know me, they are more inclined to getting me a bottle from the dining room if they aren't busy. I usually will just order a bottle at dinner, then take it straight to Vines on my own, but, once in a while I will forget that I need to re-supply my stash at Vines :rolleyes:

Likewise, if you wish to have a bottle in your cabin, just get what you need from the dining room and take it to your cabin.

Palms

I have my stateroom account from 2/29/16 and we purchased the 10 bottle Silver wine package. It came to $333.50, and we cruised on the Ruby Princess. It's a good deal but an even better deal is Happy Hour between 3 pm and 4:00 pm. Buy 1 drink and get the same drink for $1. People were buying several bottles of beer and taking it to their cabin to enjoy later. Happy Hour was held in the Wheelhouse Lounge with live music and a jar of cracker snacks. There's also another Happy Hour but later in the evening. Too late for us. You purchase the wine package once on board. There's usually a couple of places on Lido in front of the elevators where you can purchase the package. On the longer cruises we purchase the 10 bottle package.

Edited by elliair