Anyone heard of this?

sassafrass

http://bananarama.com/activities/cruiseship-packages/

It looks like the same thing that is offfered in Mahogany bay so I don't think it is a great deal but want to be sure I am not missing something.

I am not sure I understand the question.

Mahogany Bay is Carnival's man made cruise ship complex, indeed it does have a beach. Website

Bananarama is on West Bay Beach, it is a resort with accommodation which offers day passes to cruise people. This thread has heaps about West Bay, including maps and snorkeling tips.

Edited by Guest 2000

http://bananarama.com/activities/cruiseship-packages/

It looks like the same thing that is offfered in Mahogany bay so I don't think it is a great deal but want to be sure I am not missing something.

Spend a little time here on the Roatan forum to learn the differences between Mahogany Bay and the venues at West Bay Beach.

No I am not an expert. No need to be snarky but I should've remembered where I am. Our ship lists an excursion at MB for $39.99 for TWO for a beach and a chair. That is what this offers for like $30 a person so it sounded like the same thing and I still do not know what the difference would be but I will just ask our travel agent so I am not treated like an idiot.

sassafras, I think the excursion you mention from Mahogany Bay also includes the chair lift and a clamshell, yes? Chairs are free at Mahogany Bay but you do pay extra for the chair lift if you don't purchase the excursion. Don't think you can get a clamshell separately but they have trees that you can put your lounger under and in the shade.

Yes which I why I think it's the same thing but one is more money!

My apologies, I did not mean to sound snarky. I still do not understand why you believe it is the same thing.

Bananarama is on the premiere beach on the island, West Bay Beach it is a healthy 45 min taxi ride from Mahogany Bay. Bananarama's price is VERY generous for round trip transport plus a day pass on West Bay Beach.

Mahogany Bay is were the ship docks, there is no transport needed, no expensive gas or time from the guy driving.

Perhaps the two are similar in that they are both beach day passes but they are in two completely different locations. :0)

Edited by Guest 2000

I s'pose the answer why one is better than the other is a matter of opinion.

If all you seek is sun and sand by all means Carnival's man made Mahogany Bay will fit the bill.

Myself, I would rather see some of the island, have chats with my driver, and ofcourse we have to mention the easy accsss reef snorkeling from West Bay.

Edited by Guest 2000

Basically, it comes down to this:

Mahogany Bay is right at the cruise terminal. Before the terminal was built, it was mostly marsh & mangrove. They cleared it out & built a manmade beach area, along with various amenities (restaurant, bar...).

Bananarama is on the other side of the island, a 30 to 45 minute drive away. It's located on one of the prettiest stretches of beach in the Caribbean.

If you want to just flop in a lounger on some sand, have some food & drink handy, with a view of the ocean & be where you can still see your ship, Mahogany will work fine. If you want to see the island, meet some locals, spend the day on a spectacular beach & maybe walk around & try some local dishes, go to Bananarama.

West Bay Beach is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. Although Carnival did a great job with their port and man-made beach but West Bay Beach is far superior. Bananarama roundtrip transportation and package is a great deal and should not be passed. Carnival also has the excursion to West Bay Beach called Tabyana.

Carnival's Mahogany Bay is on the Southern part of Roatan. West Bay Beach is on the western-southwest point of Roatan. The snorkeling at West Bay is very good from the beach as well.

995121390_a57d51b1-f05b-49a7-bbba-13c78f97233d.1(1).jpg.fbf0a4e2b90782b990c5eaf9334dc6c9.jpg

DSC_6469.jpg.d160dc9d2d108403ed725d91194b6189.jpg