wow Internet and tethering.

Does anyone how if one person purchased the Internet package could the other person tether their device from it?

You could not use your device as a WiFi hotspot because your device would not be getting internet from cellular.

If you have a Galaxy S7 or S7 edge and NOT a Verizon variant of the phone. You can use a feature called WiFi share, basically you connect your phone to the ships wifi, pay for one package, and it will rebroadcast using your phone to 5 devices. This will NOT use your phone cellular data!

So this feature will only work on Galaxy S7 that are NOT from Verizon, for some stupid reason big red thinks you should not be able to do this. :confused:

Edited by Kovster

If you have a Galaxy S7 or S7 edge and NOT a Verizon variant of the phone. You can use a feature called WiFi share, basically you connect your phone to the ships wifi, pay for one package, and it will rebroadcast using your phone to 5 devices. This will NOT use your phone cellular data!

So this feature will only work on Galaxy S7 that are NOT from Verizon, for some stupid reason big red thinks you should not be able to do this. :confused:

Nice feature, thanks for the tip.:)

You can use a feature called WiFi share, basically you connect your phone to the ships wifi, pay for one package, and it will rebroadcast using your phone to 5 devices.

Have you confirmed that in fact this feature works on the ship?

Have you confirmed that in fact this feature works on the ship?

My S7 is Verizon, however my buddies has an AT&T version, and it worked great at the hotel we stayed in that had paid wireless. I would presume that the setup on a ship wifi is the same as a hotel's.

You could not use your device as a WiFi hotspot because your device would not be getting internet from cellular.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and I did manage to use my phone as a hotspot.

I did have WiFi on, and used bluetoot to give internet to my tablet (I did it just to test when I cancelled my sim card subscription for my tablet).

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and I did manage to use my phone as a hotspot.

I did have WiFi on, and used bluetoot to give internet to my tablet (I did it just to test when I cancelled my sim card subscription for my tablet).

Bluetooth is another good idea.:)

Edited by clarea

One thing to remember for anyone contemplating sharing a connection - on non O3B ships, you are sharing and dividing a crappy connection - so you'll get even crappier performance. My suggestion is to forget sharing on those ships and just wait until the person is done with their device and then jump on and have the connection all to yourself.

A travel router works very well also. RCL may be blocking the MAC addresses of some of them, but if you can get one like the TP-Link TL-MR3020, which allows you to clone the MAC address of your laptop, tablet, or phone on the WAN side, so you could log in into the ship's wifi once and then anyone else would be able to share your connection through the router. This is really only practical in your room though (not walking around the ship). Works very well for this purpose and is way more convenient than having to have everyone in your party log on and off the ship's wifi everytime someone wants to check email or check a website.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your help we decided to just purchase the Voom for one device as my husband wouldn't use it much anyway.

I have any other question which is a bit ridiculous....

The game Pokemon go on my phone requires a gps signal to work. Will I have this when I connect to the Voom on ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all your help we decided to just purchase the Voom for one device as my husband wouldn't use it much anyway.

The game Pokemon go on my phone requires a gps signal to work. Will I have this when I connect to the Voom on ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

there are zero Go spots at sea. MAYBE in a port. the ship is constantly moving and Pokemon Go requires a fixed point.

The GPS receiver is independent of WiFi - as long as you have it on it will work anywhere with a reasonable access to the sky.

It is one of those things you have to consider, if I get the drink package but neither of use don't drink and combined we get 4 drinks a day then I don't give sharing the package a second thought since combined we are drinking less than most single people.

For the internet if I was not planning on using it much at all but wanted to be able to not have to log off and on all the time then I would feel OK with the sharing.

Watching Netflix and doing a lot of steaming on the other device I would buy 2 packages.

Isn't sharing wifi, via a hotspot and only paying for 1 device, kind of like sharing a drink package?

Maybe, though that one connection is still limited - so the sharing would make a typical crappy connection even worse if shared out to several devices. Also, you'd have to bring extra equipment and do a bit of work to set up a hot spot to share. Internet is not a big money maker for RCI like drinks, so it's understandable why they wouldn't care about sharing.