Anthem or Carnival Fascination

I never thought I would have issues choosing a cruise. So, I've come to Cruise Critic for help! I am torn between the Fascination's southern itinerary or Anthem's nine night Bermuda and Caribbean sailing. This cruise will be a special one as we're celebrating my Son's 21st birthday as well as celebrating his graduation with an Associate degree. He's torn between these two sailings as well. Here's a few points:

- As of now, we're looking at 5K for Anthem and 3K for Fascination

-We would have to buy airfare for Fascination, unfortunately, we can't look at June prices but February's pricing looks decent around $996 three people, round trip. I've looked it up before and it's been close to $1,600... So who knows what we can expect when June pricing rolls around.

-We've only sailed Carnival on Spirit class ships and loved the size and cruise overall. However, on our last cruise we missed HMC because of wind and Carnival only refunded us eight cents a person, which left a sour taste in our mouths. So do we go smaller with the Fascination or larger with the Anthem?

-What has been the consensus with Anthem? Is it nice, too big?

-Would kind of be nice to try a new line, so what does everyone like about RC?

I'm hoping some will be able to help our family make a decision.... I need advice from everyone! Anyone who has been on either ship, either itinerary, or either line. Thanks!

I have not sailed on RCCI's Quantum class ships, but we have sailed on Carnival's Fantasy class... specifically the Fascination. The ship itself is among the smallest and oldest that Carnival has. It always seemed very crowded. There is very little "ocean view" space. The pool deck is very undersized for the amount of people on the ship. The food was good and so was the service. We like smaller ships, but this one was just too crowded or us.

That's like comparing a fast food restaurant to fine dining.

Anthem will have many more features than the little old Fascination.

No guest laundry on Royal Caribbean.

Have you considered a newer Carnival ship such as the Magic?

Edited by Rinderoo

I have not sailed on RCCI's Quantum class ships, but we have sailed on Carnival's Fantasy class... specifically the Fascination. The ship itself is among the smallest and oldest that Carnival has. It always seemed very crowded. There is very little "ocean view" space. The pool deck is very undersized for the amount of people on the ship. The food was good and so was the service. We like smaller ships, but this one was just too crowded or us.

Wow - the Fascination is still around??! That was our first Carnival cruise oh probably over 20 years ago. We're trying RCL for the 1st time aboard the Anthem next year ... and I think it would be a great choice for that special celebration.

The Anthem of the Seas is a wonderful ship, so many neat things to see and do that there really is no comparison to Fascination. A few of the neat features, the I Fly, the North Star the Bumper Cars. The dining rooms, for Free meals you can choice 4 different dining rooms, with 4 total different menus. Going to the Grand (formal) does require gentlemen to wear a jacket but that being said you can order Lobster every night if that is the restaurant you want to eat in, or Silk which is Chinese food, or Amercian Icon or Chic and all the menus are available on line.

We have been on 13 different Carnival ships and twice on the Anthem and the difference is out of this world. (we have over 80 cruises on many different lines) and the Anthem is among one of our favourites.

Visit the web page for the Anthem and for Fascination and just compare the extras that you will get on the Anthem, yes, I know it costs more money but for your sons 21st I think you will be very happy.

Enjoy your cruise on which ever line you go on, cruising is the Best.

The wife and I prefer the bigger ships with more activities and both find the smaller ships mostly boring. I've met many people that are the opposite. That's the great thing about cruising, there are options for everyone.

I haven't sailed a Quantum Class either but if I was from MD, it would be a no brainer for me. I'm not a fan of Carnival's Fantasy Class to start and the Quantum Class is on the bucket list. My only problem with Anthem is prices right now and I'm not a fan of sailing out of the northeast. If I lived that close I'd do it.

Thanks everyone! We've been on three cruises all with Carnival and we decided after the last one we were going to focus more on ports than ships. The Southern itinerary has been one we always thought to do, with all ports being new to us. However, this chance to go on Anthem with the Bermuda, Caribbean itinerary might not be one to pass up. Between the two cruises we would be giving up St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. However, we would be gaining Bermuda, and Labadee. If we like Carnival's HMC will we like Labadee? I know this is a question for the Ports of Call boards, but in everyone's opinion, which is better? Leave ships out of this one, the ship is a no brainer to me, it's the ports I'm struggling on. Thanks!

Carnival: Leave San Juan, St. Thomas, Sea Day, Barbados, St.Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan.

RC: Leave Cape Liberty, Sea Day, King's Warf, Sea Day, St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee, Sea Day, Sea Day, Cape Liberty.

That's like comparing a fast food restaurant to fine dining.

Or a 1978 Ford Pinto to a 2016 Stingray Z06 :o:p:eek:

Itinerary be damned. Anthem would be my choice no matter the extra cost if it came down to these two specific cruises. I like Carnival but no love for the Fantasy class ships at all. They should be retired. They are ugly ships with gaudy interiors and very few amenities. I dont feel like the represent the line anymore at all just as I feel about Majesty and those welded on balconies on some of those ships are just hideous!

Edited by ryano

We've also sailed both.......although the ports are better for Fascination, you will be blown away by the Anthem, and no air is also a plus.

It's a no brainer :D

You will have to plan more with the Anthem......reserving dining and most entertainment months prior to boarding.

Have a great cruise.....our grandson just graduated UDel and we may be off to Alaska next year.

Thanks everyone! We've been on three cruises all with Carnival and we decided after the last one we were going to focus more on ports than ships. The Southern itinerary has been one we always thought to do, with all ports being new to us. However, this chance to go on Anthem with the Bermuda, Caribbean itinerary might not be one to pass up. Between the two cruises we would be giving up St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. However, we would be gaining Bermuda, and Labadee. If we like Carnival's HMC will we like Labadee? I know this is a question for the Ports of Call boards, but in everyone's opinion, which is better? Leave ships out of this one, the ship is a no brainer to me, it's the ports I'm struggling on. Thanks!

Carnival: Leave San Juan, St. Thomas, Sea Day, Barbados, St.Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan.

RC: Leave Cape Liberty, Sea Day, King's Warf, Sea Day, St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee, Sea Day, Sea Day, Cape Liberty.

This also depends on how much you like sea days. If you like them, I would choose Anthem (although I can't speak from experience until next year). However, if you like the Southern Caribbean itinerary, you could check out Adventure of the Seas. It is bigger, with many things to do, than a Fantasy class on Carnival. It also sails from San Juan. Just a thought.

Have you considered the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan? The Adventure has a Southern Itinerary similar to the Carnival one you are considering. The Adventure is going to dry dock in November and would be a much nicer ship than the Fascination.

So now I am considering the Adventure of the Seas. I see that it will be going in for dry dock in November, so that's good! Does anyone know if she'll be receiving sofa beds instead of pullman beds in their balcony rooms? How do they configure the pullman beads in the balcony rooms? One thing I don't think my son will like is a pullman bed. What's everyone's opinion on them, specifically for a 160lb, 5ft 9in, 21 year old.

So now I am considering the Adventure of the Seas. I see that it will be going in for dry dock in November, so that's good! Does anyone know if she'll be receiving sofa beds instead of pullman beds in their balcony rooms? How do they configure the pullman beads in the balcony rooms? One thing I don't think my son will like is a pullman bed. What's everyone's opinion on them, specifically for a 160lb, 5ft 9in, 21 year old.

Highly unlikely that sofa beds would replace pullman beds. Pullmans come down from the ceiling like this:

PullmanoutinanE1.jpg

I have been on several Carnival ships and would pick the Anthem over all of them.

We have done this itinerary for the last four years, the last being on the Anthem in May.

We love this ship and we enjoy not having to fly to a port.

We now have the ship booked for December, we didn't care where in the Caribbean/ Bahamas it was going.

We usually pick the ship since any port/day can be a wash out with bad weather - in May, Bermuda was a complete washout with monsoon type rain but at least we were on a new beautiful ship with plenty of indoor space.

Have been to both Labadee and HMC I like both of them. HMC seems to have a longer stretch of beach, were Labadee beaches are in coves. Both have plenty of seating with or with out shade. The water in HMC appears more bluer with the bottoms being more sandier. Some sections of Labadee has some tall grasses in their water.

So since you inquired I would do Anthem. It is just getting harder and harder to fly between cost of airfare/hotel and having to show up early at the airport.

Enjoy your cruise no matter which ship you pick.

We have only cruised Carnival but facination was my least favorite ship but that was before they upgraded the lido with guy burgers. By no means was it bad but just not my favorite and it is smaller which we don't mind but if you like and are used to bigger ships you might want the other ship you mentioned if it is a 7 day or longer cruise. carnival is the fun ship though and you may want to consider which ship will be more fun for your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums