Mendenhall-Glacier Gardens tour or self??

SDCB432

My husband and I are going on a Princess cruse along with his sister and husband on August 6. In Juneau, there is an excursion to Glacier Gardens and Mendenhall for $85 a person. In looking at the different websites, it looks like it would cost slightly less to go on our own. Blue Bus transportation?? Also, we arrive in port at 11:00 and the ship excursion starts at 1:00 and goes until 5:30. Would it be better to go on our own earlier? Thoughts? :confused:

Edited by SDCB432

When our helicopter glacier tour was cancelled due to low ceilings we had some extra time so hopped on a city bus and went to Glacier Gardens. Because we were there between ship tours we had it to ourselves and got a private ride up the the lookout in their stretch golf cart. An amazing place and probably much better now 14 years later. We called a taxi to go back to the ship.

Lemon Creek Mendenhall Valley route #3 passes both but I am not sure where bus stop by Glacier gardens would be. Visitor center is about 1.5 miles from bus stop and there is a paved path along the Glacier Spur Rd. all the way so you would not be on the road shoulder.

Map

You could certainly completely self tour for a few dollars (plus GG admission) if watching bus schedule. Or bus outward and taxi back.

Edited by Sequim88

We always rent a car from Juneau Care Rental. There's also an Avis agency. Check where you will be docked, since Juneau Car Rental is at the AJ dock, almost a mile from the Tram.

A car gives you more flexibility and saves money. You probably will have time to go to the hatchery and some other sights. I don't like to be on a time schedule while at the glacier, although some people don't like the responsibility of driving.

If you don’t mind driving a rental, with 4 people, would be ¼ the cost and allow you to do many things that aren’t included in the tour. Juneau is pretty easy to navigate and a rental would allow you to drive out the road to The Shrine of St. Therese and Eagle Beach as well as Mendenhall and the Gardens. Our rental from Juneau Car Rental was about $75.00.

• 6 months later...

We've always hopped on the blue bus, or one of its competitors of a different color. These are near the cruise pier. You can take one up, stay as long as you like, and then catch a bus back. Very reasonably priced, and it's nice that you can suit yourself on how long you stay at the glacier.

what location does one choose to rent a car in Juneau? I see the airport...

so there are town buses that run regularly between where we'd get off the ship,and the visitor center? I'm thinking that might be enough for us....

There is a visitor center near the base of the tram. Most ships dock within a few blocks of this area, very walkable. There is also a dock 1 mile south called AJ Dock. There is a bus that makes round trips all day from there to the tram. It has been $3 in the past.

About 1 block from the AJ Dock is Juneau Car Rental. Avis has been in the Goldbelt Hotel but some posts say that it won’t be there this year and only at the airport although the location is showing on the Avis website. We’ve rented from Juneau Car Rental several times.

Hopefully this may be updated with specific dock information for each ship in Juneau as it has been in the past.

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Juneau-JNU-2017.pdf

Juneau Map

http://www.traveljuneau.com/downloads/DowntownJuneauMapOct2013.pdf