Rome/Vatican visit help

Moniker

I'll be in Rome overnight on a Viking Oceans cruise and it's actually our last port. We are staying one extra night in Rome before flying out the next day. The dates work out to be:

Saturday - Cruise ship in Civitavecchia port overnight; go into Rome, come back to ship to sleep

Sunday - debark the ship, check into hotel in Rome (To be booked)

Monday - Flight out at 10am

My dilemma is: when should we visit the Vatican? It so happens that the Sunday that we are there is the last sunday of the month which I understand means free admission, but also a lot of crowd. However, it will also be the end of January, which I understand is low season and the crowds aren't bad. I am generally crowd adverse and definitely want to minimize the time in queue. I do like getting a good deal on things and having to pay $0 is a pretty good deal...

The other day in Rome we will spend going to the Coliseum, Forum, Pantheon,Trevi Fountain. Might worth mentioning that we are in our early 30's so no mobility issues, but also means that I don't have deep pockets either. This will be our first time in Rome (with plans to be back later for a more in depth tour).

So fellow CCians, what is your recommendation? Vatican Saturday for a fee or Vatican Sunday free but crowdy/not-so-crowdy?

The Vatican is crowded in all seasons, unfortunately. It is unbearably crowded in summer, but I have been there in February or early December and it has also been crowded (though less so in the first couple of hours). However, that was not on FREE Sunday, which IMO should be avoided at all costs unless one has no other choice.

Vatican Museum puts through average 25,000 persons per day. Admission queue up to 2 kms long . To avoid all this pre book admission on line via Vatican website date and time specific. Just walk to head of queue exchange your e coupons at the Cashier and youa re in . But don't be late on your booked time or you will not get in .

I want to throw something out there --- I realize it's great to be able to sleep aboard the ship (for "free") for that last night in Civi, but how are you getting to and from Rome on Saturday? Any expense there (or does Viking handle it)? Even if you have some sort of Viking transfer, you will be wasting some precious time with that extra round trip into Rome and back to Civi. Have you considered disembarking on Saturday (for good) and getting a hotel room for Sat. as well as Sunday nights?

We had a port call in Civi some years ago in late January, and spent the day in Rome. The Vatican Museums were quite crowded; we were on a private tour and had a guide with pre-booked tickets, so we weren't waiting in lines to get in, but it was crowded. (No doubt far less tban in the summer, but my point is that even in winter, there are crowds.)

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!