october 6 trans atlantic

lanar

have been cruising since 1987 but this is the first TA we are doing...do get seasick sometime..any tips (i do wear a patch) we are traveling with 2 other couples. One of the couples does it both ways and the other is their first time also. We are all looking forward to the R & R and of coarse the beverage package

We have done several transatlantics, mostly from Florida to Barcelona or Rome; did do one from Florida to Southhampton. Have only down one from Southhampton to New York... in all case while we may have had some wind, did not have rough seas.

We are doing another one on the Royal from Barcelona to Florida October 17 in 2017... this is a southern crossing, so don't anticipate rough seas.

More northly crossing into New York, or from Florida to northern Europe may have rougher seas, you did not say what route you are on.

We have never gotten sea sick by the way... even when rough.

have been cruising since 1987 but this is the first TA we are doing...do get seasick sometime..any tips (i do wear a patch) we are traveling with 2 other couples. One of the couples does it both ways and the other is their first time also. We are all looking forward to the R & R and of coarse the beverage package

Drink enough and you won't feel a thing.:rolleyes:

Patches are not recommended because of some of the side effects that can be quite bad. I know a lot of people swear by them but as a ship board nurse I've seen some awful effects. You can usually get sea calm meds from guest services or the clinic. On the line I work for they are given free, not sure about princess. I've done many TA and never had it as rough as some of the seas in the med

Terry

True that scopolamine patches can cause side effect in some people even if managed correctly. But a lot of the supposed side effects come from people who can't use this delivery system as it is intended. The key point is to keep your hands off the patch. Apply it to a clean, prepared surface, then wash your hands with soap and water and do not touch the patch again until you are going to remove it.

A huge problem is people who touch the patch and then touch their face or rub their eyes. That allows a much higher dose than appropriate to be absorbed in those areas. This will cause blurring vision, etc.

It is not nearly as popular as it once was, in part because of cost and in part because of unintended effects.

I used to use the patch. no side effect until I took it off when I got home. Then I started to go through withdrawal. It happened to me twice after having them on for over 18 days. AND I also left them on for longer than the 3 days they tell you to. Finally I gave up and just use over the counter Bonine. I like it better than Dramamine because it doesn't make me drowsy. If the seas are rough, I chew one in the morning and one at night. Have never had a problem and we do a lot of transatlantic cruises.

Good luck and enjoy your 1st TA....but be warned....you may be hooked :D

Patches are not recommended because of some of the side effects that can be quite bad. I know a lot of people swear by them but as a ship board nurse I've seen some awful effects. You can usually get sea calm meds from guest services rxor the clinic. On the line I work for they are given free, not sure about princess. I've done many TA and never had it as rough as some of the seas in the med

Terry

Why would you respond to this having never sailed Princess? This is how bad information is passed on.....:eek:

Lanar, Bonine is very effective. Just bring it with you as it's sold in the shops but is very expensive and the onboard shop may run out. Don't go to the medical clinic either, unless you're really ill. Again, that would be an unnecessary expense. Just buy a box of bonine before you leave.

Have great trip!

My wife likes Ginger Root 550MG for occasional nausea. You can get it on line. I don't think I can say the brand name on CC sorry.

Tony

Ginger capsules are available where vitamins and herbal supplements are sold. I have seen it at Walgreens, but I buy mine at WalMart because the price is more reasonable.

***Even though Ginger is a "natural" product, it is wise to check with your physician to be sure there would not be any sort of negative interaction between the ginger and any meds you normally take.

Why would you respond to this having never sailed Princess? This is how bad information is passed on.....:eek:

Lanar, Bonine is very effective. Just bring it with you as it's sold in the shops but is very expensive and the onboard shop may run out. Don't go to the medical clinic either, unless you're really ill. Again, that would be an unnecessary expense. Just buy a box of bonine before you leave.

Have great trip!

I'm elite on princess I just don't work on that line I don't understand why passing on first hand info is bad info. The patch doesn't work differently on princess ships to other lines. The clinics are open for non emergency situations too, just like a doctors office I agree Bonnie is effective

Terry

Thanks for all of your responses.. I have already bought the patches but I will also get some of the bonine in case I change my mind. It is so great to hear from everyone and hope some of you are sailing with us.

I am also a nurse and advise the patches should never be the first line of attack. Try. Bonnie (meclazine), it works great for the majority of people who experience seasickness and has zero side effects. You can keep the patches in reserve in case you do need something stronger. This fall will be my fifth transatlantic and they have all been pretty smooth sailing so far.