NCL Lost my luggage - now what?

We now have bright red luggage and really big Canada luggage tags with Maple Leafs in bright red, too. We always watch the carousel for those tags!

I have the same type of tags & last March at the cruise terminal in Houston a lady from Minnesota who I will call Mrs M still managed to take my suitcase !! Well I assumed it was her as her's was the only bag left in the Haven section. So I filled out the forms & I'm sitting at the airport & over loud speaker I hear is there anyone in the terminal who has Mrs M's suitcase so I think this is to much of a coincidence !! I go back thru security & there is Mrs M with my suitcase & now she is accusing me of stealing her suitcase ?? Meanwhile Mrs M is so screwed up she had got on the wrong NCL transfer & was even at the wrong airport! I said your suitcase is back at terminal & why would I take someone else's suitcase just because it's left there ?? Like how did I even know Mrs M you were the one who had my suitcase ! So I suggested she take taxi back & collect suitcase & this time head to the right airport & thank her lucky stars her flight was not till 5pm. She even tried to blame it on a porter but her friend clarified she had grabbed my suitcase & handed to the porter. Mrs M was maybe 55 years old so I'm not talking about some little lady who was 90 suffering from confusion.

Edited by dlynn0366

Check your travel insurance's missing luggage coverage and also the credit card company you bought your cruise with - they may cover missing luggage.

In future, you might want to get this handy device for each bag:

http://www.trakdot.com/en

Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you didn't put anything that really mattered to you in your luggage. Once the luggage is put ashore, I believe it comes under control of the Port Authority.

Thank you for link, for sure looking at purchasing !!

I have the same type of tags & last March at the cruise terminal in Houston a lady from Minnesota who I will call Mrs M still managed to take my suitcase !! Well I assumed it was her as her's was the only bag left in the Haven section. So I filled out the forms & I'm sitting at the airport & over loud speaker I hear is there anyone in the terminal who has Mrs M's suitcase so I think this is to much of a coincidence !! I go back thru security & there is Mrs M with my suitcase & now she is accusing me of stealing her suitcase ?? Meanwhile Mrs M is so screwed up she had got on the wrong NCL transfer & was even at the wrong airport! I said your suitcase is back at terminal & why would I take someone else's suitcase just because it's left there ?? Like how did I even know Mrs M you were the one who had my suitcase ! So I suggested she take taxi back & collect suitcase & this time head to the right airport & thank her lucky stars her flight was not till 5pm. She even tried to blame it on a porter but her friend clarified she had grabbed my suitcase & handed to the porter. Mrs M was maybe 55 years old so I'm not talking about some little lady who was 90 suffering from confusion.

Now that's funny! I guess you can never be too careful. Glad it worked out for you and hope the lady found her way home!

Our bag turned up in the American Airlines luggage area in Honolulu. They contacted us directly via our bag tag information. They contacted Hawaiian Air as that is the airline we flew on and the luggage was placed on a plane to LAX. I'll be picking it up late this evening. Hopefully everything is still in the luggage.

In response to some of the responses:

1) My luggage is unique and easily recognizable.

2) Nothing 'irreplaceable' in the luggage but allot of money to replace the items if needed. Basic clothing and misc items add up very fast. A few valuable things but 'value' is relative, right.

3) I'll still place my luggage outside my cabin/stateroom at the end of future cruises. With thousands of passengers this happens only to a small percentage of people. Anything of great value will always be on my carry on when possible. I like the convenience of not lugging my luggage threw the ship. Personal preference and risk understood.

4) I rarely buy insurance as most of the time it's a ripoff. This is a general statement and in some cases it might be warranted. This cruise was last minute for us and I did not purchase travel insurance.

I'll update after I receive my luggage this evening.

Edited by Seasonal_Shawn

Our bag turned up in the American Airlines luggage area in Honolulu. They contacted us directly via our bag tag information. The contacted Hawaiian Air as that is the airline we flew on and the luggage was placed on a plane to LAX. I'll be picking it up late this evening. Hopefully everything is still in the luggage.

In response to some of the responses:

1) My luggage is unique and easily recognizable.

2) Nothing 'irreplaceable' in the luggage but allot of money to replace the items if needed. Basic clothing and misc items add up very fast. A few valuable things but 'value' is relative, right.

3) I'll still place my luggage outside my cabin/stateroom at the end of future cruises. With thousands of passengers this happens only to a small percentage of people. Anything of great value will always be on my carry on when possible. I like the convenience of not lugging my luggage threw the ship. Personal preference and risk understood.

4) I rarely buy insurance as most of the time it's a ripoff. This is a general statement and in some cases it might be warranted. This cruise was last minute for us and I did not purchase travel insurance.

I'll update after I receive my luggage this evening.

For future reference, you might want to check your homeowner's insurance.

Ours has good coverage for this type of loss.

(It would still be a MAJOR pain!!)

Edited by GeezerCouple

I was listening to port Everglades one day and they were talking about luggage that fell in the water and said it sunk fast. Needed divers right away. Ship and dock were arguing over who was going to cover the cost of the divers. Someone from ship finally said lets get

the luggage and we can decide who is responsible for cost. Makes me wonder how much lost luggage is really siting at the bottom of the water

Our bag turned up in the American Airlines luggage area in Honolulu. They contacted us directly via our bag tag information ... I'll update after I receive my luggage this evening.

Great news on getting reunited. Was the bag already tagged for the homebound flight for Hawaiian Air or AA when you left them outside your stateroom for disembarkation? Or, did it still had the inbound flight tags when you embarked last week & never discarded ?

Or, that a van from Robert's Shuttle (or another tour bus company) in Honolulu somehow took/loaded yours free, by mistakes, along with other bags - and, after dropping the post-cruise folks for the trip/tour, etc. and then unloaded all the bags - with the oops. Then, quietly left them with AA, figuring that it's "safe" there & had the airline do the work, got NCL and themselves off the hook & out of the picture.

So, your bag is getting forwarded to you at no charge (LAX bound ??? - as your hometown) or you are still at HNL area post-cruise?

A few lessons might be learned here, after you inspect for any contents missing - thank you in advance for posting the next/final update to see if we can figure out how it traveled from the waterfront to the airport ... not on its own rollers or spinners. ;)

Edited by mking8288

My wife and I just finished our 7 day cruise onboard Pride of America in Hawaii. Our last night I placed my luggage outside our stateroom with the provided Salmon color tag. Next morning we disembarked as instructed and proceeded to baggage claim. Our luggage was not in the Salmon marked area. We searched every color in the entire terminal with no luck. We eventually filled out a lost baggage claim form and was told we'd be contacted.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Can anyone offer advice on how to proceed or what to expect.

I figure I will need to be persistent. I've already started a list of items in the luggage. So frustrating and not the best way to end a cruise ☹️.

They kept saying someone must have mistaken out luggage for theirs. I believe if this was the case another piece of luggage would have been left. We waited in the terminal a long time and all luggage looked to be claimed.

Will update as things progress.

Yes it happened to us 2 1/2 years ago on the Breakaway in New York and we finally had to leave to catch our flight. But all ended well. NCL had found them and delivered the missing luggage 2 weeks later.

So hopefully it will be the same for you.

Good luck

For future reference, you might want to check your homeowner's insurance.

Ours has good coverage for this type of loss.

(It would still be a MAJOR pain!!)

You might have good coverage through your homeowners, but you still might not to file a claim with them. Homeowners insurance companies are very bad for raising rates and/or dropping customers that have a track record filing claims, even if they are small ones. Using homeones for something this small might cost far more in the long term.