Booking future cruise while cruising

DJW8385

Hey CC Family,

We're 27 days away from our Southern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Splendor. I'm excited and can't wait to be onboard. My family and I already know the next cruise we want to book. Last year, after attending the future cruise presentation, we went to the future cruise desk to book our upcoming cruise.

My question is do we have to wait until after the future cruise presentation is over to book our cruise or can we book our cruise once we get onboard? Also, will we receive the same OBC & rates as to those who wait until the presentation is over? Lastly, will it be better to book at the PG rate or the ES rate? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have booked several future cruises while on a cruise to get the OBC. Prior to sailing we would pick dates around our children's school vacations so we knew which date and which ship. You can book as soon as you see the future cruise desk open. Years ago they would let you buy vouchers for $100 and when you turned them in you received your $100 back towards the deposit plus $100 OBC. They discontinued that program a few years back though. As far as your question, yes the prices and rates will be the same as the ones in the presentation. In fact mine has always been the exact price was when I checked prior at home. The benifit is the OBC you receive. I would always book at the ES rate as that is the only way you are protected against the price of the cruise going down and can be compensated. I have watched friends over the years book other ways than ES and watched their anger as I collected either a cheaper fare as it dropped or OBC if I had paid mine off already. Several cruises I did not see the price go down any from my booking cost buy go up. The most I have seen it drop was one cruise where we ended up with $700 OBC due too the price drops and promotions. I have a cruise booked for April of next year and it had already dropped $175 since I booked. Yea .....hope it continues to drop. I hope this helps you some. Have a great cruise.

Hey CC Family,

We're 27 days away from our Southern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Splendor. I'm excited and can't wait to be onboard. My family and I already know the next cruise we want to book. Last year, after attending the future cruise presentation, we went to the future cruise desk to book our upcoming cruise.

My question is do we have to wait until after the future cruise presentation is over to book our cruise or can we book our cruise once we get onboard?

Hey backatcha!

You do not have to wait until the presentation is over. In fact, I recommend you book as close to the beginning of the cruise as possible. The desk gets very busy as the cruise progresses.

On Breeze in February, we booked on the second night. No lines, no waiting. Our friends went to the desk on the last sea day and waited over an hour and a half to book.

Also, will we receive the same OBC & rates as to those who wait until the presentation is over?

Yes.

Lastly, will it be better to book at the PG rate or the ES rate?

That depends on if there is a chance you will make any changes.

With ES, any changes will incur a $50 pp fee. The remainder of the deposit will be held towards final payment on a cruise booked (not sailed) within two years. You would be eligible for any price drops up to two days before sailing.

With PG, there are no restrictions and you would still be eligible for price drops until final payment date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

We always book a cruise while on a cruise. What I do is a little different from others.

I book a "dummy" cruise. I ask the Future Cruise person to book me the furthest out three day cruise he/she can find, using Past Guest rate only. The deposit is only $150 pp and the obc is $50. When we get home, I search cruises. When the perfect one comes along, I call my PVP. He transfers the new sailing to the booking number. I pay the additional deposit. The amount of the obc adjusts with the length of the cruise. Because I book PG rate, there is no fee nor penalty to transfer nor cancel the "dummy" cruise.

If I find no perfect cruise :eek:, I cancel the booking the day before final payment. I've only had to do that once. :D

Have a great cruise. I love Splendor.

Edited by stargate fan

Booking your next cruise will get you on board credit for you and 2 other couples/friends.

The best way to do this is to book a dummy cruise as far out as possible. For example on the breeze in feb I booked a 3 day for april 2018.

Book under PAST GUEST RATES!!! This allows you to switch to a more suitable cruise of your choice, once you figure out what you want and which friends want to tag along and take advantage of the OBC.

Guests who book will receive an onboard credit up to $200 USD per stateroom for their next cruise.

The guest will also receive two vouchers they can give to Family and Friends to take advantage of the same onboard credit given to the host booking.

$50 USD per stateroom on a 3, 4 or 5 day cruise

$75 USD per stateroom on a 6 day cruise

$100 USD per stateroom on a 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 day cruise

$200 USD per stateroom on a 12 day cruise or longer cruise

Single occupancy receive 100% of the on board credit.

Hey CC Family,

My question is do we have to wait until after the future cruise presentation is over to book our cruise or can we book our cruise once we get onboard? Also, will we receive the same OBC & rates as to those who wait until the presentation is over? Lastly, will it be better to book at the PG rate or the ES rate? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You can book it before or after it will all be the same.

As others have said, if you know what you want to book do it early in the cruise. Before the presentation if possible. We always go onto carnival.com to confirm prices just before we get in line.

Another reason to book early.... One cruise the Book Onboard person left midcruise and there was no replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I ONLY book while on a cruise. The OBC will stack with my Shareholder OBC plus whatever "fare special" I find after booking. I only book Early Saver as I pick out my cruise prior to sailing. I also buy a $500 Carnival gift card at 10% off (so I pay $450) from either Verizon, Citi Easy Deals or AARP and bring that with me to cover my initial deposit.

I go to the Future Cruise desk on Embarcation day or the next day and get it done BEFORE the lines build up. I know what ship/date/cabin I want cause I would have researched this prior to getting on board. I stop by the desk and tell the person what I want and leave my gift card with them and they process everything and drop all paperwork off to my cabin. Takes all of 2 minutes.

After I get home I buy more carnival gift cards, usually at least 1 or sometimes 2 at a time until I have enough to make final payment (usually way in advance) - plus Ill bring a couple with me to add to my Sail and Sign account.

Currently, I have 4 cruises booked, 10/2016, 2/2017, 5/2017 and 9/2017. I have collected enough gift cards to pay for the first two cruises, only need $100 more to complete payment for the third and then will start collecting for the last one. Makes it much less stressful for me to have my cruises all paid for like a year in advance :) ...and getting a 10% discount off everything, plus all the extra OBC I get ... makes cruising the most value for my vacation dollar, which is how I'm able to take 2-3 cruises a year!!!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

• 1 month later...
Can you book this while on the ship then transfer to a TA?

Yes, you can transfer to a PVP or TA but the time frame is limited. I think it is two weeks for a PVP. You may wish to ask your TA for specifics.

Since you are planning to transfer the booking you might as well them do some of the pre booking leg work too.

When booking on board I always check the prices just before booking. You can use the computers on board free to log onto Carnivals sites.

Two years ago while on the Liberty I stood in line for over half an hour to book my Alaska cruise. When I finally got to the front of the line I told the gentleman what I wanted, the date and that I wanted an inside cabin. He ask me to fill out a credit app for a Carnival credit card. I told him I did not want a cc and tried giving him my cc to pay the deposit.

It was then he just pushed the paperwork back in my face and said exactly "you are wasting my time". I tried to explain that I wanted to book my cruise. He told me he was busy and called the next person up.

I went to guest services and all they did was say sorry. If I wanted to book my cruise I would have to do it thru him. I was done.

I sailed the Coral Princess last year to Alaska. I may enjoy cruising Carnival but they do have some rude people on their ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most of the time I book while on board, I always book the PG rate and convert to ES closer to the cruise date if it is advantageous. It is always best to know the future cruise and cabins you want. I also book early in the cruise to avoid the lines at the future cruise desk. I have always received the same OBC if I don't go to the Future Cruise presentation.

On my last cruise they didn't even have a future cruise presentation. They had a Q&A with the cruise director about ship life in that spot.

I was going to wait until I was onboard to book my next cruise but I saw a price I liked and booked about a month ago. I'm glad I did because the price has gone up $168 so the $100 OBC wouldn't have been worth the wait.

This dummy booking thing is interesting. I may need to try that for next time so I can get the right cruise at the right price and still get the OBC.

• 2 weeks later...

always best to go onboard with your choices already made and then do a final check for pricing from the ship's computers. Then get to the booking agent ASAP - the longer ya wait the longer the lines get....just hand them a summary of what you want to book - beginning with the cabin # of your current sailing (So they can find your info) pick the 4 digit pin for each cruise and things will be done in a snap if you are prepared.:)