Leaving today, rain forecast for the entire week...

snoopy5386

We have the gear (rain jackets and pants) but still disheartening to look at the forecast and see rain forecasted for every single day. I knew going in this could happen, but hoped it would not. Would love to hear some other rainy experiences and how that went. Or feel free to tell me all the ways the forecast is wrong. ;)

We have the gear (rain jackets and pants) but still disheartening to look at the forecast and see rain forecasted for every single day. I knew going in this could happen, but hoped it would not. Would love to hear some other rainy experiences and how that went. Or feel free to tell me all the ways the forecast is wrong. ;)

I cruised once in July and predictions said "beautiful all week" and it was the worst weather. We had fog the entire week, sleet, high winds and it was incredible cold. The week before, it was beautiful.

Alaska weather is only predictable about 2 days out.

Edited by Coral

Whales, bears, Sitka deer, eagles, sea otters, and great scenery is not affected by the weather. Put on your poncho/rainsuit and take lots of photos. Digital photos can be fixed to overcome all of the drab weather.

We had a great day in the rain in Ketchikan. Because we were totally dressed for wet weather, our granddaughter could wade right into the creek to have a closeup look at the salmon, we could see rain forest around Totem Bight Park as the original inhabitants experienced it. Totem Park museum is indoors for a respite. And there is always shopping! You will still have a great time.

I sailed July 1st from Vancouver and rain was predicted the entire week. It rained a little on our day at sea and the morning in Ketchikan. It was sunny and cloudy the rest of the trip. Knowing Alaska has interesting weather, I kept my rain gear with me. Overall, perfect weather for us!

Our week in Alaska (July 8-15) was predicted to rain at least several days. We prepared for rain. Well tomorrow I'm returning the rain gear as we didn't have more than a few sprinkles once or twice. We could have been in shorts most days. Juneau was 65-68 degrees, Skagway was 75-78 and Victoria about 75. I came back with a little sunburn. Be prepared but hope u get great weather.

I've had many trips where the forecast was for rain all week and it ended up being only light showers every other day. Maybe I've been very lucky but in 20+ trips I've never really had more than one day or heavy rain on any trip. (usually my turnaround day in Whittier) It's pretty changeable every couple of hours so keep your fingers crossed and have a good time.

The only cruise that I have been on that rained every day was a 10 day trip to the Western Caribbean out of Galveston. I guess it really didn't rain every day as on embarkation day there was snow on the deck. lol

The rainy days on our cruise held their own special sort of beauty, just as did the days we saw sunshine.

Southeast Alaska is a temperate rainforest, so rainy days are likely. Check out Ketchikan's average annual rainfall.

Our cruise leaves Sunday and I had not looked at the weather forecast until just now. Rain it is I guess (or so they say).

I just came back from Holland where I vacationed for 3 weeks. We had rain for a large portion of our trip. Now looking back I have no memories of the rain. Just the beautiful places we visited, the gorgeous landscape, the fun we had.

Rain? I seriously do not remember.....

My cruise (northbound NCL Sun from Vancouver to Seward, May 30-June 6) was rainy for about 6 out of the 7 days, but it was still fantastic. Carry a small folding umbrella when you go ashore and try not to let bad weather wreck the experience too much.

One neat thing about overcast weather is that if you see glaciers, they appear even bluer than under clear skies (got this tip from the park rangers at Glacier Bay - it was cold, windy, and rainy for both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, but still so very beautiful!).

The weather often changed very fast. We had periods of heavy rain and wind, then suddenly blue skies and bright sun so we were constantly pulling jackets and sweaters off when it got warm, then putting them back on when the temperatures dropped again. During especially heavy rain, I just took the opportunity to duck into shops and browse or picked that time for a meal.

Even with low clouds and heavy rain, the scenery was still beautiful, and in places like Ketchikan, it was cool to watch the clouds rolling over the mountains. I'd have liked to see the mountaintops against a clear sky, but maybe next time - it just means I'll have to go back some day!

That's the thing, if you are never likely to return to somewhere it is nice if you get perfect weather. But we cannot control the weather, much as we pore over charts and try to pick the best time to go.

We got wild weather at Doubtful Sound in New Zealand and it had a beauty all of its own. Perhaps we will get back there. But I am sure when we get to Alaska it will be once in a lifetime. So fingers wil be crossed.

That's the thing, if you are never likely to return to somewhere it is nice if you get perfect weather. But we cannot control the weather, much as we pore over charts and try to pick the best time to go.

My first cruise was over July 4th and was dreadful. I probably could have handled rain but sleet coming down at your face with wind and then fog for most of the cruise - there was little to see. I won't lie - it was not pretty.

I came home and studied the weather charts and found that late May is a great time to cruise weather wise - pretty dry time of the year. My next several cruises were at the end of May and they were amazing!

So I agree - for those who don't like rain and are planning next year's cruise, study the rain charts. They are not always predictable but history of rain gives you some insight.

We cruised late June into July and were a little worried by the weather forecasts. We brought our rain gear and hoped for the best and got lucky. Two of our port days it started to rain as we were headed back the ship at the end of the day. We had some rain while on the train in Skagway but it was nice by the time we got off. The worst weather day (rain, wind and sleet) was glacier bay. It kept the crowds down on the deck :)

My first cruise was over July 4th and was dreadful. I probably could have handled rain but sleet coming down at your face with wind and then fog for most of the cruise - there was little to see. I won't lie - it was not pretty.

I came home and studied the weather charts and found that late May is a great time to cruise weather wise - pretty dry time of the year. My next several cruises were at the end of May and they were amazing!

So I agree - for those who don't like rain and are planning next year's cruise, study the rain charts. They are not always predictable but history of rain gives you some insight.

Great idea Coral.

I did that when I got married 5 years ago.

Went back 20 years of data on a handful of days we wanted.

Using the historical data on the weather underground site.

Day of wedding it started pouring & people are giving me the dirty look.

But right on queue, when the guest started arriving & the ceremony started, the sun came out.

Not sure why I haven't done for this trip in 4 days.:confused:

Thanks all for your good thoughts. We had a beautiful sunny embarkation in Seattle and within a couple of hours the clouds and very heavy fog rolled in. We have heard the fog horn for many hours. We are just leaving Ketchikan where it was cloudy and foggy and misting on and off all day but we still had an amazing time. Still holding out hope for a sunny few hours but this looks destined to be our weather for the remainder of the week. But hey it's not pouring and we are having the adventure of a lifetime!

On July 4th, we returned home from 17 days in Alaska. We packed all sorts of rain gear, as rain was all the forecast was. We had exactly 1 day of rain.....1! We lucked out, but the weather forecast changes nearly every 15 minutes. The day we did have rain, we were in Ketchikan. It actually added to the experience. We were determined not to let rain ruin our time. I know many get rain every day. You just get what you get. Have a great time!!!

As those in my family often say - there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing!

Be prepared, we had rain last year on my Alaskan cruise but it didn't spoil a thing. I booked another right there and then. So much to see even when it's raining and we did have some sunny skies as well.

Cruise is now over and we are flying home so I can give a full weather report. After a beautiful embarkation day heavy fog rolled in after a few hours at sea and stayed with us until our last day as we sailed to Victoria. We had a beautiful cloudless sunny last day and spent many hours getting sunburned by the pool. It rained 6/7 days, but always a light on and off kind of rain. We did wear our rain jackets but luckily never had to pull out the rain pants, though I was tempted a few times. Sometimes the fog would lift a little but it always came back. We could not see much of any scenery off the boat nor were many whales spotted, the fog was very thick. We heard the foghorn for many hours especially the first couple of days. Our trip to White Pass Summit was mostly a bust due to the fog but otherwise we made the best of it and had an amazing time. Wish we could have seen more scenery and mountains, I will just have to make due with google images. :-)

Cruise is now over and we are flying home so I can give a full weather report. After a beautiful embarkation day heavy fog rolled in after a few hours at sea and stayed with us until our last day as we sailed to Victoria. We had a beautiful cloudless sunny last day and spent many hours getting sunburned by the pool. It rained 6/7 days, but always a light on and off kind of rain. We did wear our rain jackets but luckily never had to pull out the rain pants, though I was tempted a few times. Sometimes the fog would lift a little but it always came back. We could not see much of any scenery off the boat nor were many whales spotted, the fog was very thick. We heard the foghorn for many hours especially the first couple of days. Our trip to White Pass Summit was mostly a bust due to the fog but otherwise we made the best of it and had an amazing time. Wish we could have seen more scenery and mountains, I will just have to make due with google images. :-)

So sorry. I had a cruise that resembled that :(. We couldn't see anything from the ship all week. White pass was the same way - just pure fog. If you go back to Alaska - try earlier in the season.

So sorry. I had a cruise that resembled that :(. We couldn't see anything from the ship all week. White pass was the same way - just pure fog. If you go back to Alaska - try earlier in the season.

What time of the year was your cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Welcome back !!!

Please update, how was your weather?