Dress code Anthem of the Seas

July 23 to Bermuda. The main reason I mentioned it was because I felt like I was at a State Fair, not a cruise. Everyone I spoke with felt the same way. Everyone. As a solo travler, mingling is a favorite pasttime. RD should have done something. It really was beyond the pale. Kids were running wild, trash all over the place, no wait staff to speak of, food was sub-par, technoligy and elevators broken, no Safety Muster because the video did not work, etc. Guess the "kids free" was a big reason, too. As a solo travler, I paid twice the price for a cruise at a flea market.

Cunard for the next cruise, definately.

It's getting much more casual now. Feel free to show up in your bathrobe, underwear, whatevs. Just treat it like Sunday morning at home after a hard Saturday night. As long as you can roll in, you're good.

You are missing an "n" in Andrea Doria. :D

July 23 to Bermuda. The main reason I mentioned it was because I felt like I was at a State Fair, not a cruise. Everyone I spoke with felt the same way. Everyone. As a solo travler, mingling is a favorite pasttime. RD should have done something. It really was beyond the pale. Kids were running wild, trash all over the place, no wait staff to speak of, food was sub-par, technoligy and elevators broken, no Safety Muster because the video did not work, etc. Guess the "kids free" was a big reason, too. As a solo travler, I paid twice the price for a cruise at a flea market.

Cunard for the next cruise, definately.

I agree. You should DEFINITELY go on Cunard the next time. :rolleyes:

There's something wrong with your line of thinking. I'll be well dressed. In shorts. Not everything is gym shorts.

Royal now allows shorts in the dining rooms on non-formal nights. Doesn't mean you have to participate if you don't wish to. But to actually look down on others? Get real. I could not imagine going through life with such a shallow mindset. Or if it really bothers you, sail a different line. Royal obviously made the change to cater to guest wishes.

If your biggest problem in life is a stranger in the caribbean wearing shorts, bless your heart, I want your life.

It's getting much more casual now. Feel free to show up in your bathrobe, underwear, whatevs. Just treat it like Sunday morning at home after a hard Saturday night. As long as you can roll in, you're good.

Why does every "dress code" thread always devolve the same way? Sooner or later, someone will use exaggerated superlatives in a crass attempt to prove their point. Like it or not, casual wear is in and tuxes are on their way out (at least on RCI). Just roll with it... you'll sleep better! :)

Like it or not, casual wear is in and tuxes are on their way out (at least on RCI). Just roll with it... you'll sleep better! :)

Just for some balance that's not true over here in Europe on RCI and certainly not true on our recent Dubai cruise. It was as close to 100% tuxes as you could imagine. It was a very formal cruise.

Not saying this is good/bad/indifferent or the rights or wrongs, just saying.

I personally don't care what you wear as long as it's something [emoji3] but wanted to gently correct that statement.

Anyway enjoy [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just for some balance that's not true over here in Europe on RCI and certainly not true on our recent Dubai cruise. It was as close to 100% tuxes as you could imagine. It was a very formal cruise.

Not saying this is good/bad/indifferent or the rights or wrongs, just saying.

I personally don't care what you wear as long as it's something [emoji3] but wanted to gently correct that statement.

Anyway enjoy [emoji846]

And I stand humbly corrected. I'm familiar only with cruising Stateside; international cruises are no doubt a different story.

And I stand humbly corrected. I'm familiar only with cruising Stateside; international cruises are no doubt a different story.

Sorry didn't mean it to come across like that [emoji20]

Just adding a different perspective, I'm doing a Florida cruise next April for the first time in a number of years so find these discussions interesting.

My problem with relaxing the dress code is that some folks will want to go even more casual -- you know the folks who think any rules or guidelines are not for them. I do not want to go to the dining room and sit at a table with a gentleman wearing a tank top and gym shorts. Way too much hair!

Sorry didn't mean it to come across like that [emoji20]

Just adding a different perspective, I'm doing a Florida cruise next April for the first time in a number of years so find these discussions interesting.

Don,t think you did.we are from Europe and dress code seems to be followed more. we have been to Caribbean and dress is definitely more relaxed.😎

Don,t think you did.we are from Europe and dress code seems to be followed more. we have been to Caribbean and dress is definitely more relaxed.[emoji41]

That's what I'm saying, dress code in Europe appears more formal.

As I mentioned above though our Dubai cruise really surprised me.

Nationalities from all over the world including a lot of Americans and almost 100% formal all night for both nights. There was people in the windjammer in tuxes (I'm not joking either)

That's what I'm saying, dress code in Europe appears more formal.

As I mentioned above though our Dubai cruise really surprised me.

Nationalities from all over the world including a lot of Americans and almost 100% formal all night for both nights. There was people in the windjammer in tuxes (I'm not joking either)

Tuxes in wind jammer that's to hardcore. Windjammer is supposed to be laid back on dress code. If they wore tuxes there I wonder if the wore work apparel on the excursions [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My problem with relaxing the dress code is that some folks will want to go even more casual -- you know the folkr, s who think any rules or guidelines are not for them. I do not want to go to the dining room and sit at a table with a gentleman wearing a tank top and gym shorts. Way too much hair!

Couldn't agree more! I've seen the same arguments on other cruise line message boards, everyone seems to have the same points of view. There appears to be an entitled attitude that "I can do anything I want because it's my vacation". And, if the cruise line doesn't enforce their own rules, then the cruisers are right, they can do anything they want because the cruise line lets them get away with it!

In the meanwhile, we'll be among those who dress appropriate to the suggested dress code. If they ask for no shorts at dinner, I assume they mean my husband and myself as well. If we go to a restaurant where tuxes and cocktail dresses are suggested as acceptable, while we may not wear a tux or cocktail dress, we will be dressed elegantly with a suit and a dress. Because, we respect our host (the cruise line), and when you respect your host you do as they ask.To me it's no different than getting an invitation to a wedding requesting formal wear...we wouldn't dream of walking in wearing "dress shorts" and thinking it's in any way acceptable.

For those of you who disagree, do as you please. You won't be in any way ruining my cruise. I'll enjoy my dinner just as much regardless. :D

Because, we respect our host (the cruise line), and when you respect your host you do as they ask.To me it's no different than getting an invitation to a wedding requesting formal wear...we wouldn't dream of walking in wearing "dress shorts" and thinking it's in any way acceptable.

With the obvious exception that a wedding is a life event, whereas "formal night" on a mass-market cruise line is simply marketing. And judging by the lack of enforcement, our "host" (RCL) obviously doesn't care how one is dressed, just that their money is green.

I believe it is a stretch to compare the expectations of "formal night" to that of attending a wedding, a funeral, or any other significant event. :confused:

I don't know why you wouldn't compare them, they're both asking for certain dress.

If you don't want to use the wedding analogy, then how about a restaurant on land that requires more elegant dress. If you see people walking into the restaurant wearing suits and dresses, would you try to get in wearing shorts and flip flops? I don't see any difference between dining on land and dining at sea, especially considering that Grande is clearly stated as the more formal dining venue.

It just boggles the mind why some folks get so heated about making their own rules. Whether the cruise lines are changing over time - in the olden days nobody would go to dinner without tuxes or dinner jackets, etc. - or not, the point is that people just can't make up their own rules as their whim dictates. Especially given that there IS a casual dining venue available elsewhere on the ship.

Couldn't agree more! I've seen the same arguments on other cruise line message boards, everyone seems to have the same points of view. There appears to be an entitled attitude that "I can do anything I want because it's my vacation". And, if the cruise line doesn't enforce their own rules, then the cruisers are right, they can do anything they want because the cruise line lets them get away with it!

In the meanwhile, we'll be among those who dress appropriate to the suggested dress code. If they ask for no shorts at dinner, I assume they mean my husband and myself as well. If we go to a restaurant where tuxes and cocktail dresses are suggested as acceptable, while we may not wear a tux or cocktail dress, we will be dressed elegantly with a suit and a dress. Because, we respect our host (the cruise line), and when you respect your host you do as they ask.To me it's no different than getting an invitation to a wedding requesting formal wear...we wouldn't dream of walking in wearing "dress shorts" and thinking it's in any way acceptable.

For those of you who disagree, do as you please. You won't be in any way ruining my cruise. I'll enjoy my dinner just as much regardless. :D

We also follow the suggested guidelines when dressing for dinner in the Main Dining Room or a specialty restaurant.

My husband packed Docker shorts and Docker long pants. Other than in Grande, he wore shorts and a collared shirt or polo shirt. Almost all the men were dressed the same so everyone was very comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you don't want to use the wedding analogy, then how about a restaurant on land that requires more elegant dress.

Restaurants on land that require a tux or jacket and tie are increasingly rare, but, to your point, do exist. If a manner of dress is a requirement, then by all means manners dictate such a request must be followed. The Grande is a perfect example of this.

However, if it is a suggestion, then it follows that participation is optional but not required. For example: Is everyone required to wear bell-bottom jeans throughout the ship on 70's night? Why not? It is suggested, after all..

I believe that formal night dress requirements would have been relaxed long ago were it not that such events afford an excellent opportunity for RCL to increase their revenues through "professional portraits" and the like. On every cruise the lines for pictures are very long - there is no way RCL will kill that cash cow by eliminating formal night.

In the end, people will continue to dress the way they want in the MDR. RCL no longer seems to care, so why should the masses? As I wrote in a previous post, casual wear is in and tuxes and gowns are on their way out, even among land-based restaurants. Of course, if one wishes to "dress to the nines" on any given night they are welcome to do so. I'm sure no one would mind.

My husband packed Docker shorts and Docker long pants. Other than in Grande, he wore shorts and a collared shirt or polo shirt. Almost all the men were dressed the same so everyone was very comfortable.

I was told that shorts were acceptable in the Specialty restaurants while on the Oasis this past June. Right or wrong, RCL is refining their requirements to keep in line with the rest of the world and, no doubt, the preferences of their passengers.