Going with a good attitude...but skeptical.

OceanBound16

Just wanted to add an activity idea! I'm planning on doing a Photo Scavenger Hunt with my 11 year old. I've made a list based on another CC thread as well as pictures from reviews.

Yes! That's what I'm talking about. I will try to seek out that thread.

You have a balcony this time. Do you like wine? You know you and your mom can each bring a bottle in your carry on. So wine and a balcony and maybe either daughter off with your mom or at kids activity, it's balcony , book, and a glass or two. I think taking advantage of the balcony may help you. Get some fruit and cheese during buffet time or go get a snack and retreat to the balcony. Wake early to see ship arrive into port and get back early to ship and watch for the last people getting back. Watch as ship leaves. All from your own nice quiet spot.

Hi,

I am leaving on the Carnival Sunshine in 22 days. I am not a cruiser and don't know why I am trying this again.

I sailed Carnival last in 2008 (I got sick on the ship) and I didn't enjoy it only because I was with a big family group and it annoyed me. Too many cooks in the kitchen. I was overwhelmed. Didn't know how to have fun.

I decided to try Disney Dream in 2013 and it was nice but just ok. My young daughter loved it. The price was way over board but I loved Castaway Cay (but not enough to pay for it again).

I tried NCL for a "cruise to nowhere" and it was horrific (room was underneath the disco).

How can I enjoy the Sunshine? I am game! I will be traveling with my mother and my 9 year old daughter. I just fear I will be left with an experience of sitting around and eating. I am not a "foodie" so I don't really care about food except as an energy source. Am I forcing myself to like cruising?

I did buy FTTF and a balcony room so that helps! Any tips?

If you didn't like your other cruises, you may not like this one. However, there are a few things that the Sunshine may offer, that your 2008 cruise did not: family comedy club almost every night, more non-foodie options (especially during lunch), waterpark, ropes course, etc.

I have a feeling that you may like Half Moon Bay even more than you did Castaway Cay. Check out my cruise reviews linked in my signature for lots of photos and ideas for Nassau, Half Moon Bay, Grand Turk, and the Carnival Sunshine. I have two kids (aged 14 & 15 now), and the reviews will give you a family with kids perspective.

I highly recommend the family friendly comedy shows with your daughter (night activity), the Hasbro Game show (afternoon and night), and also doing the family scavenger hunt (organized through Camp Carnival during a sea day). And if you're up to it, the ropes course is fun. The Sunshine has lots of outdoor activities on the sports deck like chess, foosball, mini golf, shuffleboard, waterslides, etc. There will also be family karaoke many evenings on the Sunshine. Tea time scheduled during a sea day is a nice break from the typical afternoon cruise activities. I have posted the daily schedules (Funtimes) for our Sunshine cruise in my review, you can browse these to get an idea of the daily activities offered. My review also includes pointers on how to avoid crowds. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169332)

I hope you have a great cruise!

Hi,

I am leaving on the Carnival Sunshine in 22 days. I am not a cruiser and don't know why I am trying this again.

I sailed Carnival last in 2008 (I got sick on the ship) and I didn't enjoy it only because I was with a big family group and it annoyed me. Too many cooks in the kitchen. I was overwhelmed. Didn't know how to have fun.

I decided to try Disney Dream in 2013 and it was nice but just ok. My young daughter loved it. The price was way over board but I loved Castaway Cay (but not enough to pay for it again).

I tried NCL for a "cruise to nowhere" and it was horrific (room was underneath the disco).

How can I enjoy the Sunshine? I am game! I will be traveling with my mother and my 9 year old daughter. I just fear I will be left with an experience of sitting around and eating. I am not a "foodie" so I don't really care about food except as an energy source. Am I forcing myself to like cruising?

I did buy FTTF and a balcony room so that helps! Any tips?

I am sorry, but there is no way to spin this into go and have a good time. It sounds like you are going to hate this.

Cruising is not for everyone. I know several friends who feel they were just trapped on a floating nightmare after a few days into a 7 day cruise and will never try it again. They were seasick, they did not care for the food, found the entertainment boring, do not gamble or drink and prefer spaces without people. Due to the seasickness they could not even sit on their balcony and enjoy that. If you do not love the things above or at least one of them a cruise is not for you.

The Sunshine also may be the most crowded ship in the fleet after the rebuild. More people less room.

Take a look at this fun times from the Sunshine. I know personally there is more on this list that I want to do than I can even think about getting to in a day. This would be my first sea day based on this funtimes.

Wake up late!, Coffee and breakfast on my balcony.

If I get started early enough

9:30 Bingo, maybe stay at Bingo, maybe check out the fashion items for sale starting at 10.

After Bingo, the trivia contest at 11, another ship on a stick for me

Noon is tough, cooking demonstration or more trivia

Not much for a Hairy chest, but reverse charades at 1:15 sounds nice

Some Lunch, so hard to decide where

Bust a move Dance class is hilarious to watch

More Bingo at 3:30 and a magic show at 3:45, choices must be made again.

Get ready for dinner

Pictures before dinner

6pm early dining

7:30 comedy show

Studio VIP show at 8:30

Another show at 10

Adult Comedy show

Late night stroll around the ship

Now I realize why my wife says she needs a day off after a cruise.

c_sunshine_210_sea.pdf

1181596994_SunshineFunTimes.jpg.7e44ca629a06d828e3cc421130742ef5.jpg

Edited by asalligo

Nassau isn't my favorite port...but one time we docked there, we took a taxi (or you can do water taxi) over to Atlantis. It was free to walk around the property and then we paid to do their Aquarium Tour. And that was really a lot of fun! And you can also buy day passes for Atlantis...but I'd imagine they are pretty pricey. But it would include access to their pools and waterslides. I also remember there being some nice little restaurants there outside of the actual resort.

You said you don't like crowds, so I would count on spending any lounging time on your balcony.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

And if your balcony is in the sun and you want shade, try deck 3 under the life boats. Great ocean view and a breeze while moving.

I don't know what kind of things you may like but here are some things we typically do on ships:

dominoes - fun to play with those great views and others are always asking to join in for next round. If you don't like to meet new people, you can always play games in quieter parts of the ship.

spa/fitness center (some areas of free but I haven't been on sunshine) - my husband can spend hours in that area of the ship every day - sauna is great and the hot tubs are usually less busy than the ones on deck.

comedy club - usually have fun in there each night

behind the scenes tour is fun to learn about how the ship operates

people watching is some of the best in the world with all those people in small spaces...lol especially around 5pm when they've had a few too many drinks by the pool out in the heat...

I hope you find some fun!

Yes I love trivia. We are stopping at Grand Turk/Half Moon/ Nassau. I am looking forward to the Hasbro show.

I do not like crowds though but I can tolerate for an hour or two.

I think this is my favorite itinerary. We've been twice so far.

When you get to Grand Turk, you can either walk to Margaritaville and use the pool and deck chairs (no cost) or keep walking down the beach a few minutes to Jack's Shack. Amazing jerk chicken is served there! But it is a beach bar and there will be some intoxicated people so may want to consider that since you have your daughter.

Half Moon Cay is a tender port. Pay close attention to the Fun Times the night before for info on where to get numbered stickers to catch the tender. Go earlier than the listed time. Upon clearance to disembark, people will be called to the tenders based on those sticker numbers.

There is a BBQ lunch on the island. It's part of the fare so does not cost extra. We had BBQ chicken, burgers, different salads, dessert, fresh fruit. I don't remember everything but it was lovely. And plentiful.

You have to play with the sand at HMC. I'm serious! It's as soft as flour. I loved how it felt so much that I brought home a zip top bag full of it. :D Any time I'm missing being at the beach, I reach in and play.

I agree with what people said about Atlantis. Though we've never been there, I hear it's a great place for kids.

There will be so many activities on the ship. You just might have trouble deciding between things.

I hope this is the cruise that hooks you. Have fun with the "girls."