soda package?

Hi

We are new to RCI having sailed Holland America. We are booked on Independence of the Seas in 3 weeks.

What is your opinion on the "soda package" on RCI? I have no idea what drinks are freely available during the day? It is £6.55 per day for kids. Also is it soda fountain or cans?

Many thanks

Sue

The soda package is fountain soda only, and would be limited to Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale. Tonic Water, and Soda Water. There may be one or two others that I missed.

Drinks included in your basic cruise fare: tap water, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, and juices with breakfast.

We have always purchased a soda package for our kids, they can then just go to the bar and get a drink whenever they like.

Most of the time, it is fountain soda, but if they order something like a Sprite Zero, they pour that from a can. They don't give you the can to take away though.

My son loves Shirley Temples (Sprite with Grenadine) and Royal Rogers (Coke with Grenadine), and these are allowed on the soda package.

If you don't buy a drinks package, you will get a can of soda, and it's approx $3 + 18% service charge. If you in Spanish waters, they may hit you for an additional 20% Spanish tax as well.

If you are in the UK, it may be more reasonable to pre-pay for the soda package online in GBP. If you buy onboard, they add on 18% gratuity.

Of course, if your child is happy with iced water and all the other types of drinks already listed, there is really no need to pay extra for soda. There is a sugar free "diluting juice" in the Windjammer at lunchtimes - Strawberry/Kiwi and Mango, which I found very refreshing.

Edited by *twinkle*

For those sailing on Oasis class ships, there is the Coke Freestyle machine that gives you A LOT more options than those listed above. Most ships do not have the Coke Freestyle machine, and I know that Indy does not...but wanted to mention it for the benefit of others who may be wondering.

I forgot Freedom has the Freestyle machines too, but Liberty and Indy do not. Not sure if any other ships do.

Ships with Freestyle machines:

Explorer, Grandeur, Freedom, Enchantment, Oasis, Allure, Majesty, Jewel, Quantum, Anthem

Not sure about Harmony and Ovation.