Is a kilt acceptable dress on a formal night?

cruz STY

I OFTEN wear me kilt on formal nights. Never heard the first negative word, in some 25 cruises on 4 different lines. On my last cruise, there were only 3 of us kilted, but we became quite popular!! Several ladies asked for their picture with me and another kilted gentleman. (SO glad milady doesn't mind.) On a cruise several years ago, I even had a crew member thank me for wearing the kilt.

As for the comment about "dagger" last page: if you are talking about the dirk, the big "dagger" worn on the belt, never on a ship. If you are talking about the sqean dubh (worn in the sock), I always have mine. It is simply the equivalent of a pocketknife, when one has no pockets.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

Hi Thrak,

And I thought you were going to post a pic of yourself in a kilt,

however learning to sit needs to be practised, especially if on a stage.

yours Shogun

He did! Just imagine those first two photos with sunglasses being worn. Same person.

Well, same hair and beard anyway ...

"Ohhh James." "Not now Moneypenny."

This is our first Princess Cruise and on all our other cruises my husband has worn his kilt, I notice that there's a few comments on what's acceptable attire for formal nights and what's not! The kilt is heavy and if it's not going to be worn he may as well leave it at home.

We've seen plenty of Kilts. Hopefully it's for his family heritage & not something he just bought in a specialty store.(kind of like the crap I see Americans wear, especially if there's no heritage related to it)Oh, & by the way I have "patent leather" shoes to see what's really being worn under those kilts. Consult "Pee Wee's play house" bit with shoe mirrors to get the joke!

Edited by keithm
more additions

There are those who don't think a man can look "manly in a skirt". I say to those people, "BAH!" As for the person who witnessed someone sitting in an inappropriate manner while wearing a kilt I say that is not a gentleman and no "real man" would expose himself in that manner.

It's easy to "dip" your kilt:

connery-3-th.jpg

How can anybody say this isn't stylish or elegant:

9919c6d5c37178403f6011f449c9698f.jpg

How can anybody say this isn't "manly":

3157855.jpg

I know that many ladies love a man in a kilt. It's stylish and totally appropriate. (Of course that last picture doesn't really belong in MDR... :D )

I won't mind that in the MDR. After all, Betty Grable should have such legs!

We've seen plenty of Kilts. Hopefully it's for his family heritage & not something he just bought in a specialty store.(kind of like the crap I see Americans wear, especially if there's no heritage related to it)Oh, & by the way I have "patent leather" shoes to see what's really being worn under those kilts. Consult "Pee Wee's play house" bit with shoe mirrors to get the joke!

I'm loving all these replys, I was hoping to get one or two! I know what you mean about the polyester kilts and I think you might get a fright if you use your mirrored shoes with a true Scotsman 😱

I OFTEN wear me kilt on formal nights. Never heard the first negative word, in some 25 cruises on 4 different lines. On my last cruise, there were only 3 of us kilted, but we became quite popular!! Several ladies asked for their picture with me and another kilted gentleman. (SO glad milady doesn't mind.) On a cruise several years ago, I even had a crew member thank me for wearing the kilt.

As for the comment about "dagger" last page: if you are talking about the dirk, the big "dagger" worn on the belt, never on a ship. If you are talking about the sqean dubh (worn in the sock), I always have mine. It is simply the equivalent of a pocketknife, when one has no pockets.

You can now buy a Sgian Dubh (it's Gaelic for black dagger are the handle used to be made from bog oak) that sits neatly in the sock without a sharp blade, it's more like the blade on a butter knife

Is there any other kind? ;)

As for your question. YES! It is heavy to travel with though..so his call, or yours... I wish mine wore one :/

Yes, it's a formal traditional Scottish kilt, Someone on an earlier post showed a picture of a "utility" kilt, I have never seen any Scottish man wearing these, maybe for of a fashion skirt! I suppose if David Beckham can wear a sarong anything goes 💗💗

That's when an extra pair of hands would be mighty welcome-to deal with a rude breeze blowing at the wrong time!

If it's going to be windy you could pin on some fishing weights or a couple of old window sash weights...Of course you might never be allowed to return to Scotland.