Songs you love...songs you hate.

Danno

I ve been listening to the same old assortment of music on cruise ships for 14 years...and I growing weary of it.

If you could recommend one song you would like to see added what would it be??

If you could pick one to be done away with forever what would it be??

I would add Unchained Melody to every cruise...

I would never ever, never, ever play Spanish Eyes (gag) ever, never, again!!

Well Maybe not you Danno, but "I Will Always Love You" is a beautiful song that has been way overdone and overused.

My favorite music is old jazz standards, and they never seem to grow old because each artist can put their own twist on it. So I'd like some more Cole Porter, George Gershwin, and Irving Berlin on my next cruise.

How about "I get a Kick out of You," or "Someone to Watch Over Me", or a great original arrangment of "Cheek to Cheek".

DH likes country music, and his favorite romantic song is "I Cross My Heart" by George Strait. So how bout that song done by a great singer.

Nitemare...ickkk...:eek:

What have I ever done to you??...what horrible, scmaltzy, dreck...I love many songs from that era...but not that one...and then there's the "Chicken Dance" (shudder).

Nitemare...ickkk...:eek:

What have I ever done to you??...what horrible, scmaltzy, dreck...I love many songs from that era...but not that one...and then there's the "Chicken Dance" (shudder).

Hehhehehheee...was just playing, but while we're headed in this direction...what about the Hokey Pokey? :p

If you're talking about the lounge bands,the pool deck bands, et al, it's ALL elevator music in my book...ALL generic garbage...Even when they do a good song, it has a way of making you not appreciate it...

I don't care if they lose any song...because they all run right past me anyway...and I don't want them adding any of my favorite songs for fear they ruin them for me...

As to the singer/dancer shows in the showroom, every cruise I've ever been on, you could typically depend on one generic broadway show tunes show and one generic 50s/60s oldie show...You just have to learn to appreciate them for what they are...

The best song choice I've ever heard in one of those (and I got the same show twice -- once each on two different RCCL cruises) was a show where the ship's singers and dancers did VERY entertaining versions of two rock classics: Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light...Those two, IF DONE RIGHT, should be staples for every cruise ship's production shows...reason being, that unlike the standard pop, disco and motown tunes they usually do, those two really lend themselves to showmanship, dramatics and stage production...

Hot, Hot, Hot...I could live without, but, I can put up with anything once or twice...but, Spanish Eyes, every night!!!...and then there's the "Green, Green, Grass of Home"...aahhhhh, stop the music :eek: !!!

Oh Pleeze, no more "Spanish Eyes" sung by the Eastern European dou in the Rendez- Vous lounge!!!!:eek:

That's it, that's it....(cringe)...That weren't a great act at best...but that song brings out a whole new low in musicians...think how tired they are of doing it!! The only thing worse than hearing it, has to be singing it.

Song I don't want to hear....Cheeseburgers in Paradise (sorry parrotheads) I HATE that song!!

BTW, it's "Cheeseburger in Paradise"...Not "Cheeseburgers"...

Dang...I LOVE THAT SONG!!! I even performed it for Karaoke on the Constellation back in July...

But that's the problem...2,000 passengers on a ship and we're not ever going to get a uniformly acceptable music list...

BTW, I also did "Lola" on Karaoke night...another song I consider a "classic"...On the way back to my seat, some of my shipmates from the slightly older (than me) generation looked totally confounded..."What was that!?!?"... Like, what? Like they don't understand a nice, clean fun ode to a transvestite???

Danno, I'm not sure my suggestions are strictly cruise band related, but I think I may have heard "Lady in Red" on a ship before. Possibly the very worst song ever, followed closely by "The Power of Love" by Jennifer Rush. They make me cringe just thinking of them:eek:

For a positive spin, if you've never heard Kirsty MacColl, buy one of her albums. I don't think she made it big in the States, but "Don't Come the Cowboy With Me, Sonny Jim!" and "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis" are not to be missed. She was a great songwriter, sadly killed a few years ago by a speedboat whilst swimming in the sea off Cozumel:(

Phil

Worst song or songs are easier...the endless drone of Reggae (Red, Red, Wine) etc. Once is O.K. After hearing them 5 or 6 times..ENOUGH ALREADY!!

On a Hawaii cruise, any song by Iz would be wonderful. I bought my Iz CD in Kauai, and play it when I need to put myself right back on that cruise to the islands...

Karyn

I ve been listening to the same old assortment of music on cruise ships for 14 years...and I growing weary of it.

If you could recommend one song you would like to see added what would it be??

If you could pick one to be done away with forever what would it be??

I would add Unchained Melody to every cruise...

I would never ever, never, ever play Spanish Eyes (gag) ever, never, again!!

I think so much of how we react to music is due to the memories they evoke. When we took our honeymoon cruise 30 years ago, they played Spanish Eyes constantly, so when I hear it on cruises, while my husband and I dance to it, I feel as if we are on a second honeymoon :)

I also love fifties music because it reminds me of when I listened to it in the car with my parents (who are no longer alive) as a small child.

When I hear music from the sixties, I can remember who I was dating when that song was popular. That I why I love some songs from the sixties and dislike others :)

BTW, it's "Cheeseburger in Paradise"...Not "Cheeseburgers"...

Dang...I LOVE THAT SONG!!! I even performed it for Karaoke on the Constellation back in July...

But that's the problem...2,000 passengers on a ship and we're not ever going to get a uniformly acceptable music list...

BTW, I also did "Lola" on Karaoke night...another song I consider a "classic"...On the way back to my seat, some of my shipmates from the slightly older (than me) generation looked totally confounded..."What was that!?!?"... Like, what? Like they don't understand a nice, clean fun ode to a transvestite???

My apologies Steve, thanks for correcting me. Everyone has different tastes and you are right, not EVERYONE is going to be happy with the selections. Personally if a song REALLY bothers me I'll just leave the area it's being played in. Everyone always has a choice in most things in life, it's just a matter of IF they take it.

BTW...as soon as you said transvestite, all I could think of was The Rocky Horror Picture Show :o

the endless drone of Reggae (Red, Red, Wine)

LOL! So true!

Personally, I have heard "Hot, Hot, Hot !!!" about as many times as I need to in this lifetime.....

I agree, although hearing it for just that first time at the Welcome aboard party always gets me in the vacay mood. :)

One of my all time favorites (not!) is Dolly Parton's 9-5 played on the steel drums. Never did understand that version. :confused: :eek:

Lot's of "hates" and "greats" but, a number of years ago, after a drink or two, DH (Dr. to you university students) was persuaded to get up in the karioke bar and deliver a rendition of "Almost Heaven-West Virginia". Well, he got so into it that by the end he had everybody in the lounge up on their feet and singing with him. Then when he was finished, the entire front row got down on their knees and bowed down to him. The next day he was red faced all day as people kept coming up to him and clapping him on the back. Now, he refuses to go anywhere near the karioke lounge so, you may not hear a lot of that particular John Denver hit:D .

Danno, I'm with you on Spanish Eyes but I'd like to add Yellow Bird to that list as well! YUK!

Now, I wouldn't mind some Toby Keith every once in a while on board! :D BUT Usha, no electric slide! ;) I also wouldn't mind some Brooks & Dunn! Yep, I enjoy the country tunes for a "feel good" time! :D

Oh please...not C&W ;)!!! I don't want my wife to leave me, I would prefer not to lose my job, or have my dog die :eek: ...those C&W folks sure have a lot of things go wrong...I don't need to be depressed while cruising ;) !!

Worst song or songs are easier...the endless drone of Reggae (Red, Red, Wine) etc. Once is O.K. After hearing them 5 or 6 times..ENOUGH ALREADY!!

On a Hawaii cruise, any song by Iz would be wonderful. I bought my Iz CD in Kauai, and play it when I need to put myself right back on that cruise to the islands...

Karyn

Gotta love Iz! He was great.

I love all kinds of music (actually, not too much into country) I have 2 teens, so I get my fair share of all kinds of what's new and it's not really all that good. But I'll go anywhere from Led Zeppelin to Josh Groban in my car CD, with anything by Sting or Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffet, the Beach Boys etc.... I love classic rock and a bit of jazz, classical, opera.

But, the absolute, all time worst songs ever to be recorded in the history of mankind are "Who Let the Dogs Out?" and "Elvira". Elvira stood alone for years until I first heard the dog song.

On a cruise ship (or any restaurant in the land) I absolutely despise hearing "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Anniversary". When a server finds out it's my birthday celebration, I quietly request they not sing to me, they thank me for that.

OK, I'll be completely different. How about NO MUSIC AT ALL??? When I am relaxing on the promenade deck, I want to listen to the ocean, not shipboard music. Can't they set aside a quiet area on the decks? I know some of the ships have them, but not all. The Promenade is the best place to have some peace and quiet!

Archived