On-board Activity Question

f3red

We will be on the MS Amsterdam, departing Seattle to Alaska on 14 August.

My question is ... I seem to rather hazily recall reading something about an on-board activity related to learning how to organize photos on a computer: has anyone done that and what is involved? Should I bring my laptop? Is an internet connection needed (and do I have to pay for it)?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,
f3

[quote name='f3red']We will be on the MS Amsterdam, departing Seattle to Alaska on 14 August.

My question is ... I seem to rather hazily recall reading something about an on-board activity related to learning how to organize photos on a computer: has anyone done that and what is involved? Should I bring my laptop? Is an internet connection needed (and do I have to pay for it)?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,
f3[/quote]

The Digital Workshop Microsoft Windows 10 classes are free and computers are provided. Bring your laptop with you to apply what you learn in class to your own photos. Internet for use in your stateroom is not free. Edited by Crew News

[SIZE="3"]Different ships have different Digital Workshop classes, but one of them usually covers organizing photos. Computers are provided, and no cost is involved. Check you daily program each day, and go early - seats often fill quickly.[/SIZE]

[url]http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Activities_DigitalWorkshop&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&WT.ac=brandLP_OurStory-Activities_DigitalWorkshop_img[/url] Edited by jtl513

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]All the ships do not offer the same Digital Workshops.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]You may get offered a class that will show you how to organize your photos on your computer.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]But if you wish to show your pictures on CC, you will still need to have them in a host site like Photobucket.[/SIZE][/FONT]

You will not be able to work with your own photos in the workshop. The teacher will have preloaded some photos onto the workshop computers to give you files to move around and organize. I don't know how they'd feel about someone following along with their own computer, but I think it's a great idea. It's a much better way to learn at any of the workshops, since you'll have your own "product" to review later. Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The classes are all about Microsoft products so maybe not so helpful for Apple users. The photo class uses Windows Photo Gallery. I've attended classes on how that product can organize photos and on how it will stitch photos together for panoramics or fix group shots of people. Very helpful.

Are they pretty blatant about promoting OneDrive for cloud storage? Being in the software industry (as a user) and Microsoft's backyard I run into this a lot. Seems like a lot of "free" education is marketing agenda oriented.

[quote name='Sequim88']Are they pretty blatant about promoting OneDrive for cloud storage? Being in the software industry (as a user) and Microsoft's backyard I run into this a lot. Seems like a lot of "free" education is marketing agenda oriented.[/QUOTE]

Not in my classes. I haven't seen a class with OneDrive as a topic.

Thanks, all. I now know that there are a variety of classes, at various times on numerous subjects. I'm glad to know that the classes are limited in length.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

Here is our On Location for Alaska May 2016 showing what Digital Workshop classes were held to include OneDrive:

[URL]http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NA16-Day-03-OL-Juneau.pdf[/URL]

[quote name='Sequim88']Are they pretty blatant about promoting OneDrive for cloud storage? Being in the software industry (as a user) and Microsoft's backyard I run into this a lot. Seems like a lot of "free" education is marketing agenda oriented.[/QUOTE]

They ARE Microsoft products that are used, and instruction is in how to use them.
Maybe I was spoiled, but the Digital Workshop Hosts, though competent, didn't seem to have the depth of knowledge that our Techspert did on the Antarctica cruise. Windows 8 had just come out, and Ryan (Nelson) was trained on it and knew it really well. I had just gotten one of the early W-8 touch screens, and it was wonderful to just be able to buzz up 3 decks to get a question answered.

[quote name='Crew News']Here is our On Location for Alaska May 2016 showing what Digital Workshop classes were held to include OneDrive:

[URL]http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NA16-Day-03-OL-Juneau.pdf[/URL][/QUOTE]

Thank you, CrewNews for always being "Johnny on the spot" with the links to relevant information! Truly appreciated.