Yes, more UDP questions

ihopfar

Please bare with me, I have a couple of UDP questions.

And, yes, I have the UDP -- I booked my NYE cruise on the Dawn that long ago to get it as a perk.

1. The T&C's for the old UDP and the new SDP say "Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.)... are not included.." Has anyone encountered special New Year's Eve or New Year's Day menus in any of the specialty restaurants on NCL? I don't want to book a specialty to find out after I get on board there is a special menu and I can't use the UDP. No one has ever mentioned anything, but I would assume the lawyers have kept that in there for a reason. :D

2. Has anyone had any issue requesting dessert to go from any of the specialty restaurants? We sometimes like to save dessert for our balcony before bed.

Thanks!

Brad

For question 1, I remember reading a while back about some issues on Valentine's Day (I think it was), where La Cucina had a special menu. I assume that's the sort of thing they are talking about.

I haven't heard anything like that for a while, so my guess is that they haven't done similar lately.

When we were onboard over Easter there was a special menu in the MDRs, but not the speciality restaurants.

Please bare with me, I have a couple of UDP questions.

And, yes, I have the UDP -- I booked my NYE cruise on the Dawn that long ago to get it as a perk.

1. The T&C's for the old UDP and the new SDP say "Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.)... are not included.." Has anyone encountered special New Year's Eve or New Year's Day menus in any of the specialty restaurants on NCL? I don't want to book a specialty to find out after I get on board there is a special menu and I can't use the UDP. No one has ever mentioned anything, but I would assume the lawyers have kept that in there for a reason. :D

2. Has anyone had any issue requesting dessert to go from any of the specialty restaurants? We sometimes like to save dessert for our balcony before bed.

Thanks!

Brad

I can answer #2- we were fine to get desserts to go one our Getaway trip in May- in fact our server at Moderno's offered to do it as we were so stuffed we couldn't fit dessert at that moment! :)

Save

We had a Valentine's Day menu in Le Bistro last year, on the Spirit. I think it was $40 with a glass of champagne included. But we were able to go for free with the UDP and UBP, so that was nice. But that was a long time ago.

I don't recall anyone mentioning a New Year's Eve menu in specialty restaurants last year, but you never know what they will do next year. If I were you, I would go ahead and reserve something for NYE (whenever reservations open up for your cruise). Once you get on board, ask if there is a special menu and if it is included in the UDP. If you don't like the answers, change your reservation to a different restaurant.

If you are worried about having to change reservations on board, I think your wife could log on separately and make an advance reservation at a different restaurant for that night. And once you're on board and get the info about possible special occasion menus, you can cancel one of the two.

If you are worried about having to change reservations on board, I think your wife could log on separately and make an advance reservation at a different restaurant for that night. And once you're on board and get the info about possible special occasion menus, you can cancel one of the two.

yes and no, We tried to add an additional meal to our reservation (we too have the UDP) and we could only add 2 meals per night if they were many HOURS apart - like 530 and 930.

We wanted to do a traveling meal (entree in one restaurant, dessert and drinks in another). When she logged in to do the second meal, it kept giving her an error stating that there was conflict due to an overlap, even if the 2nd reservation was for 2 hours AFTER the 1st.

Best bet is to call and do it over the phone - that is what we had to do, they were able to get us exactly what we wanted. Apparently the online system thinks it takes over 3.5 hours per meal.

Best bet is to call and do it over the phone - that is what we had to do, they were able to get us exactly what we wanted. Apparently the online system thinks it takes over 3.5 hours per meal.

I think the online system is trying to prevent people double- and triple-booking reservations. One of the managers onboard told us they had problems with people booked every restaurant at a given time, so they would have options once they were onboard. So, I think they fixed the system to prevent that.

We wanted to do a traveling meal (entree in one restaurant, dessert and drinks in another). When she logged in to do the second meal, it kept giving her an error stating that there was conflict due to an overlap, even if the 2nd reservation was for 2 hours AFTER the 1st.

You're right; I should have tested it myself before suggesting it. Items that guest 1 books show up on guest 2's vacation summary, so switching accounts makes no difference.

Still, I don't think the OP has anything to worry about. They can book whichever restaurant they want, and check with the restaurant desk on the first day that everything is OK. As mentioned already, they haven't done special menus for NYE in any of the specialty restaurants in the past, and I think it is even less likely to happen now that they have gone to à la carte pricing.