ms Amsterdam & ms Noordam together in Juneau, AK - July 21, 2016

Copper10-8

What is that weird looking boat heading towards the Noordam? Any idea what it is used for?

Kinda hard to tell but could be a bunker barge which would be very usual since the ships never take on fuel in Juneau

Thought I heard something about possibly an issue with one of the boats. Fast rescue boat, maybe?

The Vistas have two fast rescue boats, one port, one starboard side, so that should not be a reason for a now 3 hr+ delay

Kinda hard to tell but could be a bunker barge which would be very usual since the ships never take on fuel in Juneau

Could be a floating crane (on a barge) also so perhaps something is coming off NODM

Would it be normal to launch one of the boats during a day in port? If so, perhaps a problem occurred during recovery? Yeah, I know, raw speculation. Only allowed in the oil markets, lol.

George

Evenin' George; It's normal for the ship's tenders and lifeboats to be "splashed" in case of a 'Abandon ship' drill for the crew, especially as part of a U.S. Coast Guard inspection. The fast rescue boats do not go into the water a lot, except for the reason they are onboard (rescues). Having said that, if NODM conducted a MOB (Man Over Board) drill today, the fast rescue boat facing the water side would have been used and retrieved upon conclusion of that drill. I didn't watch the webcam all day long, so that's pure speculation on my part without being in the oil business

Edited by Copper10-8

And while I'm at it. As a months-long lurker on these boards, may I say that I appreciate and respect the time and effort you put into sharing your knowledge. I would believe it is absorbed and appreciated more than you know. Meanwhile, it's been a pleasure speculatin' with you.:D

And while I'm at it. As a months-long lurker on these boards, may I say that I appreciate and respect the time and effort you put into sharing your knowledge. I would believe it is absorbed and appreciated more than you know. Meanwhile, it's been a pleasure speculatin' with you.:D

Likewise Sir, and thank you!

Btw, the barge has vacated her position alongside NODM so maybe the time for departure is ahead

11.35 pm (local time) and Noordam is still sitting there. Not so bad for me watching (another webcam tragic) as it's only 5.35 pm Friday evening here in Australia. We've been on Noordam twice so it has special interest for me.

Wonder what's going on?

We were on that trip and watched the whole barge and crane operation. As reported to us: during the routine testing of the lifeboats while docked in anchorage, Boat 13 got stuck. Wouldn't come all the way back up, nor go all the way down. (We heard later that 2 winches malfunctioned.) In order to get the boat away from dangling at the side of the ship, they called for a barge with a huge crane. They also needed a cherrypicker basket to carry a mechanic up to the davit location and attach a strap through some mounting rings. Did that on one end then moved the barge, etc. to do the other end. Then they lowered a spreader bar device suspended from the crane and attached the straps with clevis hooks. Slowly the crane took the weight of the boat. Using grappling hooks, the ship crew detached the various jaws and pins to release the boat from the davits. Then they lowered the boat and it pulled away. We left Juneau at about midnight.

Captain reported the next day that technicians were flown to Juneau to do the operation, and that engineers from the winch company met the ship in Ketchikan. All extremely professional and reassuring!

On our journey thru Inside Passage, there was a medical emergency that resulted in the ship being met by Emergency Coast Guard medics to do a transfer of a patient at Campbell River.

Again, super response - extreme competence.

Holland stands proud!

We were on that trip and watched the whole barge and crane operation. As reported to us: during the routine testing of the lifeboats while docked in anchorage, Boat 13 got stuck. Wouldn't come all the way back up, nor go all the way down. (We heard later that 2 winches malfunctioned.) In order to get the boat away from dangling at the side of the ship, they called for a barge with a huge crane. They also needed a cherrypicker basket to carry a mechanic up to the davit location and attach a strap through some mounting rings. Did that on one end then moved the barge, etc. to do the other end. Then they lowered a spreader bar device suspended from the crane and attached the straps with clevis hooks. Slowly the crane took the weight of the boat. Using grappling hooks, the ship crew detached the various jaws and pins to release the boat from the davits. Then they lowered the boat and it pulled away. We left Juneau at about midnight.

Captain reported the next day that technicians were flown to Juneau to do the operation, and that engineers from the winch company met the ship in Ketchikan. All extremely professional and reassuring!

On our journey thru Inside Passage, there was a medical emergency that resulted in the ship being met by Emergency Coast Guard medics to do a transfer of a patient at Campbell River.

Again, super response - extreme competence.

Holland stands proud!

Thank you for the explanation.