Special diets on Princess

sallybrown2012

My family is a big fan of Princess. We are trying to convince my sister to come with us next time, but she is on a non-dairy diet. Does anyone have experience with this type of thing on Princess - are they receptive to special dietary requests like non-dairy? Many thanks.

A quick search should find many threads about this subject.

Princess is very receptive to special requests. Your sister, should you get her to agree to go!, should put in the Cruise Personalizer her dietary requests.

However, she'll still need to inform the dining room staff of her needs - they can provide menus for the following day, and will have someone review the menus and point out 'safe' items for her.

I have no direct experience with special requests at the buffet but have read many times that it's not a problem to ask for a chef to help navigate the buffet.

Yes, they are very helpful with regard to "special diets".. When making your reservation, specify Lactose Intolerant.. The ships I've been on recently use Soy milk.. they did not offer Almond Milk or Rice Milk... I did not find dairy free cheese. There will be many things she will not be able to have, but I guarantee..you will find wonderful menu items available to her. All Princess ships make outstanding sorbet and amazing dairy free desserts.. The dining room staff will be extremely helpful and the Head Waiters will order special meals for her specifying no dairy or dairy alternative. As stated in the previous post.. A Sous Chef is always available in the Horizon Court Buffet to point out safe and unsafe dishes.. and they will also offer to cook up something special just for her.. If she wants rice in the buffet..be careful.. the buffet rice has butter 90% of the time and they must bring rice from another kitchen..

Edited by Once Upon A Time

Princess are very good with diets. I can't have any alcohol either in liquid form or in food. so at the beginning of the cruise I ask to speak to the head waiter, and each night he brings me the menu for the following night and any meal I choose will be cooked minus any alcohol normally used. There won't be a a problem.

I agree, Princess are very good helping with food allergies. I always put this information in the cruise personalizer and there is always a card in the stateroom when we board telling me to see the head waiter. He will work with your sister to help with food selections for her meals.

One of our table mates on our Royal cruise last fall had many food allergy/limitations. Each night the headwaiter in our section brought the next night's menu to her, and they went over it together to make selections for her. We met her for lunch in HC one day, and they brought a special meal out for her. We felt that they went over and above to be sure that she had meals that she enjoyed and that they were safe for her to eat.

My family is a big fan of Princess. We are trying to convince my sister to come with us next time, but she is on a non-dairy diet. Does anyone have experience with this type of thing on Princess - are they receptive to special dietary requests like non-dairy? Many thanks.

Absolutely. As Catwoman said above, the head waiter usually brings out the menus for the next day so it can be ordered in advance. My sister does the Gluten Free thing and they were more than accommodating. It was her first cruise and I was so happy I chose Princess for her first experience.

We have found them great with the following...

Diabetic

Vegan

Vegetarian

Gluten free

Lactose intolerant

So far the only ones we've cruised with.

None of the cruise lines I have holidayed with, incl Princess, serve no dairy free spread, soy yoghurt, soy or almond ice cream or dairy-free cheese. Cabins may have fridges but you're not meant to take perishables with you.

They will cater for various food allergies and diets, but to a limit. I am thinking of taking my own Violife and dairy free spread, maybe some almond milk and see if they get taken from my case. Just because they don't serve dairy-free stuff like that themselves.

Starters and main courses, easy to get dairy free... just the 'extras' you get on mainland that you can't get onboard.

(I'm vegan)

She'll be fine, especially if you stick to the MDR for evening meals. A bit limited in terms of actual non-dairy alternatives (as pointed out, no almond milk, no rice milk - iirc, soy is all they offer as a non-dairy milk option) - but they are fantastic about working with you to make sure foods on offer are okay for you to eat, or (with notice) coming up with an alternative.