WiFi isn't free, Is it?

Dahlia11

I do know that HAL sells internet packages, by the minute. So Wifi access on the ship isn't free is it?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the HAL board :)

You are correct. Internet is at a cost - not free.

No. It does cost money. But, relying on it isn't necessarily warranted. It can also be spotty, slow and generally aggravating. But, it is the only game at sea. We usually rely on WiFi bars/coffee shops in ports to get/answer emails, FaceTime, etc. Bon Voyage, Unplugged. (It's really pretty great. I learned how expendable I am.)

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

Yes and no. There has long been free wifi to access the HAL site and the NY Times. In recent months ships have been implementing a free intranet service where you can check your on-board account, your reservations, daily activities, etc through wifi in your cabin. But to get on "the internet" off the ship is not free. So yes, wifi is free, but you are confusing wifi with the world wide web. Wifi is simply the connection method. :)

Edited by jtl513

My husband was able to download news subscriptions to his kindle ..for free while on board. Not exactly free wifi but it allowed him to keep up with the news and even download new books.

And most ports now have lounge areas where there is free wifi - follow the crew because that is where they head first. Plus they know the free hot spots in town too. even in the most remote ports.

I do know that HAL sells internet packages, by the minute. So Wifi access on the ship isn't free is it?

WiFi is the internet delivery method unless you go to the Explorer lounge to use the desktops. There's no pat answer on price and packages other than it's not free. HAL has been experimenting on various ships and cruises with different types of packages and pricing. In general, it's not cheap. We get enough minutes to check email once a day, then enjoy being unplugged sailing to the beautiful places we visit.

WiFi is the internet delivery method unless you go to the Explorer lounge to use the desktops.
Are they hard-wired, or are they wifi too? Are the Digital Workshop computers hard-wired or wifi? I've never checked, but I would think wifi would be used for all. Edited by jtl513

Are they hard-wired, or are they wifi too? Are the Digital Workshop computers hard-wired or wifi? I've never checked, but I would think wifi would be used for all.

Exp Lounge units are hard wired. Can't speak for the digital work shop. If you have your own laptop or tablet, I'm sure WiFi is available there. FYI, the speed isn't any better on hard wired units, IMO, as they still connect through the same satellite.

For what it's worth I got the following from HAL this morning:Wireless service is available in most public lounges around the ship. Service is also available in guest staterooms. There will be a one-time $3.95 set up fee and then pricing as below:PRICING:Time Plan #1: 1000 Minutes for $250.00 Time Plan #3: 250 Minutes for $100.00 Time Plan #2: 500 Minutes for $175.00 Time Plan #4: 100 Minutes for $ 55.00*PRICING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

FYI, the speed isn't any better on hard wired units, IMO, as they still connect through the same satellite.
Right - the bottleneck is not the connection to the ship's server, but from there outward! :)
For what it's worth I got the following from HAL this morning:Wireless service is available in most public lounges around the ship. Service is also available in guest staterooms. There will be a one-time $3.95 set up fee and then pricing as below:PRICING:Time Plan #1: 1000 Minutes for $250.00 Time Plan #3: 250 Minutes for $100.00 Time Plan #2: 500 Minutes for $175.00 Time Plan #4: 100 Minutes for $ 55.00*PRICING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
The $3.95 sign-up fee has not been in effect on our last three cruises (back to Sep '14), and different ships have been experimenting with different pricing methods, so for your particular ship it may be that only the last line is true: PRICING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE Edited by jtl513

As an aside, regarding WiFi off the ship:

We have found that the free WiFi in ports (often at ship terminals, nearby bars and cafes) are so clobbered and clogged, overwhelmed with users as to be worse than useless, most frustrating. But usually there is a close-by pay-for internet cafe at which for a very nominal fee of around $1 one can get an hour's worth of good, high-speed internet to quickly download updates and other large files as well as upload photos and do regular email. It's often proved a great relief over sitting on the floor in some terminal only to spend half an hour not getting on-line. m--

Pricing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in May ( 7-day Alaska cruise) was

Plan 1 - unlimited $249

Plan 2 - 600 minute $199

Plan 3 - 400 minutes $159

Plan 4 - 200 minutes $99

Plan 5 - 30 minutes $19

Pricing on Westerdam in April (30-35 day South Pacific cruise) was $199 for unlimited.

I have not paid a set-up fee on any of my three HAL cruises.

On the Zuiderdam last spring, I probably heard (& had) more complaints about the WiFi than anything. I was crazy slow, thus crazy expensive. In the Mediterranean, we found ready access to free WiFi on shore.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm on the Oosterdam for my 20th evening in the Med, and T-Mobile's international plan has allowed me to get by without buying an internet plan. Instead of slow 2G speeds as in the past, I'm getting LTE in many ports, and can use my iPhone as a hotspot for my laptop (or for my iPad mini, which I use as a Kindle). It helps there are only 3 sea days in 24.

Bloody Hell...for real? Jeez thats expensive..its 2016 WiFi should be a free commodity haha!

Bloody Hell...for real? Jeez thats expensive..its 2016 WiFi should be a free commodity haha!

According to some onetime friends of mine, there are two things that should be free. One is water and the other I shouldn't mention here but it isn't wifi!

Seriously though I think the ship internet provider (MTS) will have to lower prices and manage to increase speed if they want to stay competitive.

Edited by Wehwalt

I'm on the Oosterdam for my 20th evening in the Med, and T-Mobile's international plan has allowed me to get by without buying an internet plan. Instead of slow 2G speeds as in the past, I'm getting LTE in many ports, and can use my iPhone as a hotspot for my laptop (or for my iPad mini, which I use as a Kindle). It helps there are only 3 sea days in 24.

I got off the Oosterdam last Sat. Not only wasn't it free but it was so slow that even the CD joked about it.

I got off the Oosterdam last Sat. Not only wasn't it free but it was so slow that even the CD joked about it.

That's one reason I haven't used it. I was told just before the drydock by the then-cruise director (Shane) that there would be unlimited internet plans and decent speed. Guess they spent the money on the Lincoln Center thingie.

According to some onetime friends of mine, there are two things that should be free. One is water and the other I shouldn't mention here but it isn't wifi!

Seriously though I think the ship internet provider (MTS) will have to lower prices and manage to increase speed if they want to stay competitive.

You might as well stop complaining about the internet on HAL ships. It is indeed slow and fairly expensive, but it works fine for E-mails (containing only verbage) and text messages. Just don't expect to use any megabyte attachments. IMHO, If HAL has an unlimited Internet plan in the future, we will have passengers, watching movies and using two hour video phone calls to the grandchildren. This would quickly use up all of the available bandwidth.

Scott & Karen

I think that the bottleneck is 3000 passengers and crew trying to use the same service, who are all wondering why it isn't as fast as their land lines at home.

igraf

Right - the bottleneck is not the connection to the ship's server, but from there outward! :)
Edited by igraf

I think that the bottleneck is 3000 passengers and crew trying to use the same service,
Right. That's what a bottleneck is - too small a pipe for the amount of water. The pipe from users to the ship server is adequate, but the one to/from the satellite is too slow. Edited by jtl513